1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gov Abbot orders Texas State Guard to "monitor" US Troop exercises

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 28, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Gestapo in Bestrapo is amazing. Well done.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why should I vote if nothing ever changes, because I don't vote, since nothing ever changes when, after all, I don't vote, due to nothing ever chan-

[​IMG]

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The point being that no one who gets as far as having their name printed on the ballot would represent the interests of these constituents, so they're picking from a shortlist of unacceptable candidates. So, what really is needed is actual political organizing where they form a party or interest group of some kind and find candidates that will represent them. They are free to do that and, arguably, they should be doing it. But, that's a lot more work than showing up on election day and checking off a box, and requires money, free time, and/or other resources to do effectively. And at the end of the day, in a winner-take-all political system like ours, if they are too far from the mainstream they'll lose the election anyway and still get no representation. So, you're essentially asking marginalized members of society with almost no resources to politically organize even though the chance they have of getting any traction at all is microscopic.

Now, there are some organizations, such as the NAACP, that do this sort of work. They don't have a lot of mainstream credibility. And they don't have much impact on elections either. So why should anyone marginalized in our society feel vested in our political system? It's quite obvious that their lack of success isn't simply because they aren't trying. The system isn't built to give them representation.

1 person likes this.
  4. Remii

Remii Member

Please point out all of the changes that Bill Clinton made for the poor and marginalized... I can definitely point out how he made it worst. What changes has the black Bill Clinton (Obama) made... You do know Baltimore is ran by a democratic party. What party runs Ferguson...???
    Why are all these poor white folks "STILL" on welfare... How much is their vote helping them...???

Like I said... It doesn't matter who they vote for. Unless, you're talking Bernie because it appears he hasn't sold his soul and his azz to big business corporations.