1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gov Abbot orders Texas State Guard to "monitor" US Troop exercises

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Remii

Remii Member

There are a lot of weeds out here dude and regardless on if I agree or disagree with what he said I believe he did the right thing by at least addressing it to try to calm people the F down and or give them some reassurance. I live not far from where one of the Wal-Marts closed and many of the people I've come across are worried even if they shouldn't be.

2. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Embarrassing for the state.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm suspicious of this news. Most conservatives in Texas, especially in rural central Texas where they're talking about, are very pro-military and would love having a bunch of Special Ops forces here to train. You have to be pretty fringe ultra-rightwing tinfoil-hat crazy to protest Special Ops training as some sort of covert attempt by Obama to overthrow the Texas government. We have some people like that, but not nearly as many as the flag-waving soldiers-are-heroes types.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm pretty certain that the Governor's instruction to monitor consists of one of his flunkies sending an email/calling the Texas National guard commander and saying "make sure them army boys don't try no funny business! or more likely "i'm going to put out a press release saying you're on top of this, so google it or something" and the Texas National Guard commander rolling his eyes and pressing "Delete" or hanging up the phone, and then Abbot's gang of numbnuts putting out this glorious press release so that the black helicopter crowd feels nice and appreciated.

Sadly though this cynical interpretation is probably more depressing in a way than the reality of if actual monitoring were going on.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

http://gov.texas.gov/news/press-release/20805

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's really embarrassing. I guess Texans deserve what they've elected.

7. JuanValdez

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So, do you actually think this makes Abbott's action any less ridiculous and embarrassing? That as the result of the rantings of some extreme right wing wacko's radio talk show, the Governor of Texas deploys the State Guard?

What next... I hear people talking on Coast to Coast radio all the time about outer space aliens performing experiments on rural Texans... should Abbott deploy the State Guard?

Honestly, isn't one reason Abbott is doing this is because Texas has this thing against Obama and the federal government?

9. JuanValdez

I never said it wasn't ridiculous and embarrassing. Only that the supposed explanation offered in the OP article didn't make any sense.

I suppose this move is a lot like Perry's mobilization to 'defend' the Texas border. I guess they got good poll numbers back for that little stunt.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Does the National Guard stand a chance against Obama's American troops?

11. Nook

Nook Member

It is time for Abbott to stand up and be held account for his actions.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

of course

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree with you about "most conservatives in Texas" being supporters of our troops and that they would welcome our military doing training exercises in the state. The point I want to make is that it is exactly the "fringe ultra-rightwing tinfoil-hat crazy" Republicans that Abbot is appealing to. Why? Because they vote in the primaries. Their numbers are a relatively small percentage of the GOP, but their influence (and this illustrates it, in my opinion) goes far beyond what those numbers should justify.

If Texans would simply get off their arses and vote in the primaries, the political landscape of Texas would look quite different than it does now. Our government would better reflect the people of this state. The GOP has been captured by a minority within the party, and the Democratic Party is just as guilty of not getting rank and file members of their party to simply get out and vote, and vote in more than the general election.

Texans need to vote in the primaries.

15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Gentleman's sweep, at best.

16. Buck Turgidson

Well, if they're Obama's, how do we know they're *really* American?

Need more facts.

17. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

What would be great is if he worked out a deal to allow the national guard officers to observe the special forces officers in action to LEARN rather than monitor.

This whole "monitoring" as if the national guard could protect the state if the US military decided to invade Texas is just asinine. Whatever you got to do to get the wingnut vote I guess.

18. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Of course, because we're Texas. :rolleyes:

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Good.

Practice for the secession.

Soon.

1 person likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why do ou hate America?