1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gothic Ginobili] Player Capsule: PPatt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arthurprescott2, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Arthurprescott2

http://gothicginobili.com/?p=4676#more-4676

From what we've seen in the preseason, PPatt seems to have stepped up in exactly the ways the writer deemed necessary: solid defensively (having Asik helps) and more diverse offensively (trying post moves at least).

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Meh. Bleacher Report BS. Wrong about Pat's skills and wrong about his contract status.

1 person likes this.
  3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Amateur hour.

1 person likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Someone tweet Pat Pat this to get him fired up.

5. Arthurprescott2

Not sure if you're being serious - you're usually joking...

Here's his contract situation:
    http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/patrick-patterson/
    and here:
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1722/patrick-patterson

Team option for ~$2 million was picked up. And w/r/t skills, there is a noticeable emphasis on PPatt shooting from mid-range while there is a consistent theme of needing more post moves from him on this board. So...

6. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

In the comments underneath the article, the author reveals that he wasn't aware that PPat was coming off surgery.

That's kind of an important factor to leave out when evaluating a player, don't ya think?

7. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

That's definitely an important piece of information to overlook. The author also says the PPat isn't young, but he's 23 years old. That's still pretty young, or at least young enough to still be able to improve significantly (not that I think he will).

8. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

ppatt is not the problem. there is a place for him on this young team.

9. Carl Herrera

Team option for his 2012-13 season (at around $2M) was not picked up over the summer. Instead, it was picked up in January 2012 (a player's 3rd year option typically had to be picked up or declined prior to the start of his 2nd season, but the lockout settlement pushed that decision date back to January 2012, not long after the beginning of the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season). So, there was no contractual decision to be made on Pat's 2012-13 season during the summer when the other guys were waived.

As for skills, his decrease in performance in the lockout shortened 2011-12 had to do with ankle bone spur surgery. He will be better this year and has shown increased athleticism during the preseason games.

In any case, to talk as if Pat is not worth $2 million is idiotic. If the Rockets declined his team option (assuming they could have made that decision in the summer), what kind of player could they have signed for $2M?

1 person likes this.
  10. Arthurprescott2

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. Would rep but I've repped your "funny" posts too recently (or often?).

11. Carl Herrera

No problem. I just find these random "opinion blog" writings to often be misinformed and don't add anything to the discussion than people's own opinions here. Thus, the "Bleacher Report BS" comment.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

I follow the author on twitter and he is pretty irate at the BR comment. It's kind of funny.

13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

So this guy is lurking on CF to see what people are saying about his article? Wow, that's pretty sad.

14. Arthurprescott2

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>discovery: a lot of HOU fans are really territorial about patterson. my not knowing about his lockout surgery means i'm a BR writer.</p>&mdash; Aaron McGuire (@docrostov) <a href="https://twitter.com/docrostov/status/260832512627048448" data-datetime="2012-10-23T19:58:11+00:00">October 23, 2012</a></blockquote>

Hilarious. I'm guessing someone tweeted him about it.

15. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

This guy is a joke if he thinks Leuer/Harrellson are better prospects...

16. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

at least try to post articles with a shot at legitimacy.

17. Arthurprescott2

Lol. Dump on this particular article all you want - but his capsules are generally insightful and based on enough advanced stats to give them a legitimate foundation.

In any case, this wasn't a "what a great article" thread. It was a "let's start up some discussion of non-Lin players" thread. Maybe I stirred up a bit more ire than I thought I would. For a "great article" thread, read GG's new Harden player capsule.

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That article was such a load of crap. The arthur obviously didnt see PPat during his rookie season. Yeah PPat has his shortcoming but also has his strengths. A legit big with size and athleticism who has a pretty consistent mid-range jumper.

19. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Absolutely useless article. Poorly informed and full of faulty assumptions.

20. Carl Herrera

Patterson's contract and his option dates are the same as that of all first round draft picks under rookie contracts. If he thinks that the Rockets could have chosen to waive one of him, Leuer and Harrellson in the summer without paying Patterson his full guaranteed (and such a choice was only in the summer since Leuer and Harrellson arrived as parts of offseason trades), he is completely ignorant of how the NBA works.

If you want to discuss Patterson, just start a thread discussing Patterson. No need to cite a BS blurb.