1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Got to hand it to Cammy

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheRaven, Oct 12, 2004.

1. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

He gave his two compadres the inspiration to dig deep one more time. Couldn't have been a darker night for both of them. But they were there... and so was he.
    Thanks for the memories, amigo.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I would love to see the Astros hang a Caminiti #11 rainbow jersey in the dugout for the rest of the playoffs. It would be a fitting tribute.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Me too, that would be fitting.

4. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

it be tight if they reitire his number

5. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Yes, it be.

6. Summer Song Giver

I think they should all smoke rock before game one of the NLDS, in his honor, of course.

/Cammy-dumbass, you had children bro.

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

Cammy was good here, but not really "retire your number" good. James Rodney deserves the honor much more. IMHO, a plaque a la DK's would be more appropriate.

8. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

They need to Put "Cammy" up by "DK" on the left-field wall...MAN! Poor Bidge and Bags, their buddies are dropping pff like flies in the prime of their lives. Even wierder that DK died in similar circumstances except for not using roids or coke...

RIP Cammy....you were the man

9. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Well, I wouldn't personally have any problem with hanging a jersey in the dugout or putting up a DK-like plaque, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make sure that happens.

Remember, DK had mar1juana in his system at the time of his death, although it was insignificantly small and had no affect on his death.

For all we know Caminiti was using steroids with San Diego; that was in '96 and probably a little while after. There's a good chance he never used them with either tenure in Houston.

He had life issues outside of his playing career, still he was a very good player for the Astros. His best years were with San Diego with an "advantage," so even though he's loved in Houston, I don't see his number being retired.

If anything his number being retired lies in the hands of Drayton McLane who I doubt respects him much due to the fact that it taints the organization. Imagine if his number was retired and a kid "looks up" and sees it. How would anyone tell the kid that Caminiti was any type of role model? All you could say is he was a great player with life issues.

Here's my most serious thought: When the toxicology tests come back and show that steroids had some affect on his heart muscle tissue, then it will be a wake up call to all the other users and future users. If anything Ken Caminiti will be used by Baseball as an example of what pressure to perform and struggling in life can be.

EDIT: WHOOPS, that was supposed to say hands, not nads. :)

#9 Mr. Mooch, Oct 12, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Inappropriate. I dont think its cool to dog on Cammy. The guy isnt even in the ground yet. :(

11. Oski2005

Look at this crap:

[​IMG]

Was Ken ever nicknamed "Superman?" Eitherway, what a terrible and insensitive thing to do.

Here's the guy's website, give him a piece of your mind.

http://www.miltpriggee.com/

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow...nothing like slamming a dead man.

i'm certain that little gem comes from the dave bliss cartoon collection.

13. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Don't like the Caminiti strip, but some of that guy's other work is pretty funnny.

14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

That's just crap....no one ever said he was a superman or anything...i guess he had nothing better to draw.

15. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I was giving a guy from work a ride this morning and I had the radio on and someone was saying something like "Condolensces to Cammy's family" and the guy from my work was like to hell with that .. he was just a druggie loser .. Why should we be saying condolensces to his family and so forth?

I got extremely pissed and told him to stfu (probably not good since he is higher on the totem pole than me, but I just couldn't resist).

Yes Cammy had some issues, but as Bagwell said, he was the kind of person that would give you the shirt off his back. Everyone has personal demons, but it doesnt make you a bad person.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

We do know that, Caminiti admitted he used steroids during his MVP season.

17. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Yes.

:confused:

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Addiction is a disease. Nobody seems to ever remember that.

19. Oski2005

Still says nads:p

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I can't feel sorry for Caminiti, but I feel empathy for his family and friends left behind. RIP Cammy, you were one of my favorites to watch. It's too bad that steroids will taint his legacy, because he played the game the way it was meant to be played.