1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GoT showrunners adapting The Three-Body Problem for Netflix

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Sep 2, 2020.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Let's not make up drama where it hasn't existed, yet.

They aren't "making" it from scratch; they are adapting something that the CCP has yet to censor. This book series is one of the most wildly popular in China.

I mean, the original Chinese books didn't get censored nor did Liu Cixin get in trouble, nor did the English translation have any problems. Further, Liu and the English translator are both consulting producers, so they've been down this road before.

“I have the greatest respect for and faith in the creative team adapting The Three-Body Problem for television audiences,” said Cixin Liu in a statement. “I set out to tell a story that transcends time and the confines of nations, cultures and races; one that compels us to consider the fate of humankind as a whole. It is a great honor as an author to see this unique sci-fi concept travel and gain fandom across the globe and I am excited for new and existing fans all over the world to discover the story on Netflix.”

And, my understanding is the owners of the TV rights are Chinese, so they're getting paid.

malakas, Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I don't know the plot other than reading a brief outline, but it's curious that the CPP would allow something critical of the regime to go uncensored, given how sensitive they are to that sort of thing.

malakas and Jontro like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Martin.

4. dmoneybangbang

One of the top series I've read..... but this is definitely not something made for Netflix unless they are going to animate it. This is a series that uses it characters as a vessel to explain concepts, and doesn't have a single character whose name I can remember. Again, this is one of my favorite series but it will be tough to translate to the big screen.

Next up.... Hyperion Cantos.... hopefully...

AceOfSpades, malakas and srrm like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Mine too. They explained the Dark Forest theory beautifully, but it took a lot of hard sci fi to get there (as you implied). Naturally I'll watch this, but I'm pretty skeptical. Like I said above, they should make this animated.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand why everybody thinks they are no talent hacks based on the way GoT ended, but David Benoff wrote a very good novel called, "City of Thieves".

Well worth a read.

Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They will abandon this project when another chance to start a project comes along. People will complain that it sucked. They will disrespect the source material. We know their MO.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The show runners of GoT , Dave and Dan, have a poor track record outside of the first 6 seasons of GoT and that success with GoT was because of great source material. Otherwise you get content like the Wolverine out of them. These guys ruined what was supposed to turn into a cult classic.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I downloaded this per @Xerobull recommendation -- I enjoy grand thought provoking hard sci fi so along with its accolades i'm expecting big things.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

I know you're clowning on season 8, but didn't they deviate from the books around the middle of the series, purely because there literally wasn't any further book content by GRRM?

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Gonna go off the rails by season 2 or 3 if not before.

A few years ago at work I named a project "Wallfacer" and nobody really understood it...but it's still called that.

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I just vaguely remember an interview from them after avoiding the media when season 8 flopped where it seemed like they guessed Jon Snow's lineage by checking a GoT fan forum that speculated as much. Part of what made GRRM feel comfortable with letting D&D take over was that they guessed correctly. He had assumed they were big fans of his books and that they really had a deep understanding of what he was going for. Then you find out years later, nope. They just went to a GoT fan forum before their interview with GRRM and guessed right.

I believe there was a lot of content in the book they chose not to adapt even before running out of source material. Their excuses at the time were convoluted, but GRRM speculated that if all the source material were used, it could have probably gotten them 10 or more seasons. Instead D&D were given a lucrative offer to work Star Wars and opted to rush GoT instead giving us the poorly constructed crap that was season 8.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Best sci fi book?
    I never even heard of it.

Anyone can give some review why is it unique and why it is the best?
    Have I been leaving under a rock all these years?

* pleas say if it contains chinese supremasist elements like most of modern wuxia coz then I am not interested.

14. TimDuncanDonaut

That's crazy. Imagine two million people petition Joe Schmoe to redo the quarterly sales report.

Hollywood is about connections, imagine being headliner of something so disappointing and still be able to land another lucrative gig.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Depending on how successful the Justice League director's cut is, which HBO is shelling out $20m to do, we might see a sort of director's cut with the final season of GOT. Probably mostly CGI but the author might help fill in some blanks. On the other hand, they spent a ****ton of money on the final season and it was still a rushed mess. Seems to be a hallmark of HBO: Build amazing shows, cap them off with a whimper.

It's certainly written from a Chinese perspective. I wouldn't say it has much to do with Chinese supremacy. It's more about the future of Earth after first contact from a very unique point of view. I did enjoy the lesson in Chinese history that's part of the backstory. 'They' say it wasn't censored in China but I think there's some layer of self-censoring the Chinese do when they write to avoid being disappeared.

Read the Amazon reviews and make your own choice. Some of them are polarizing. You do you, boo boo.

It's on me.

[​IMG]

malakas and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

That's tough.... Having read the ending a few times, I never got any Chinese supremacist elements but it is written from a Chinese perspective (as mentioned). It has many themes but overall it's about the Thucydides trap played out on an interstellar scale.

I've read quite a bit of sci fi that involves Earth vs aliens, but this is the first book that presented in a way that I truly no longer believe the governments of Earth should try and make contact (SETI). It wasn't the "horrors", but the logical way in which its engineer turned author presented it.

It's hard to describe why it's great without spoilers as it's the ideas it presents that make it special. If you like strong characters and great character development then this isn't for you.

Xerobull and malakas like this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Just stumbled across an 'authorized' sequel book by another author.

[​IMG]

Cixin Liu’s award-winning trilogy Remembrance of Earth’s Past may be the most astonishing, wide-ranging science fiction epic of recent decades.

Synopsis has spoilers for the Three Body Problem trilogy:

Sometimes known as The Three-Body Problem novels, the trilogy began when word reached Earth that an alien civilization—the Trisolarans—had decided to depart their damaged planet and make Earth, a compatible planet, their new home. The Trisolaran invasion was merely the opening movement in a vast, galaxy spanning adventure that would alter both the human future and the future of the universe itself. And the story is not yet finished.

The Redemption of Time by Baoshu is an authorized addition to the original series that takes place in the aftermath of Death’s End, the final volume in the trilogy. The protagonist is the now familiar figure of Yun Tianming, an unwilling participant in the Trisolaran’s plans. Yun has lived for several hundred years, in and out of hibernation. He has been sent into space as a disembodied brain, been made to serve as a spy and traitor to humanity and has been systematically tortured by his Trisolaran captors. As the new book begins, he and his wife are living solitary lives on a private world known only as the Blue Planet. Following the death of his wife, Yun himself prepares to die, but is thwarted by a mysterious entity known only as the Spirit. This Spirit has one last task for Yun: to find and destroy a malignant, omnipotent force called the Lurker, a force capable of completing the destruction of all human—and non-human—life.

Yun agrees to take on this task, but is determined to do so in his own fashion. What follows is a brilliantly conceived excursion into the mysteries and miracles of “the grand universe” that surrounds us. No mere piece of fan fiction, Baoshu’s novel is both an independent creation and a unique act of collaboration that expands our understanding of Cixin Liu’s incredible achievement. This is science fiction for the true connoisseur: fearless, visionary and endlessly inventive. For the many admirers of Cixin Liu’s masterpiece, The Redemption of Time is an unexpected—and most welcome—gift.

dmoneybangbang and Yung-T like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

Very interesting.....

I did really enjoy the brief moments where they showed the "Lurkers" or whatever extra dimensional superbeing tossing WMDs at the speed of light across the universe or collapsing dimensions.

19. Buck Turgidson

25th Hour was good too. He also wrote what is possibly my favorite Always Sunny episode, "Flowers For Charlie".

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

tinman and Yung-T like this.