1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Gossip] T-Mac in trade talks; Involves Kevin Martin and Nocioni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Nov 8, 2009.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt that this swap will get us over the hump but I will be ready to move on if that is what management wants.
    Injuries are hard to predict. They come and go.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

True, but he will be easier to move in the future than another max contract for McGrady.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Another thing to consider is that Tmac's contract is being paid by the insurance company.

And Sacremento could save MILLIONS by acquiring him and jettising Kmart, Nocioni, and Rahim...

And Luis would love Nocioni, as would the rest of the Rockets fans....

This deal would be great for both sides.

Get -r - done Morey.

And.....well....I might have a little more to say in this weeks video if true.

:D

DD

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i agree. if the team does not intend to resign mcgrady but yet don't want to let him walk for nothing, i think they have to do this deal. tracy's value won't ever reel in a superstar/perennial all-star who's an all-around player. it's not going to happen.

if this offer is true, morey has to go at it b/c this is most likely the best deal they're going to get. and like someone said above, kmart and nocioni doesn't have to be our best players. martin will be better suited if yao does return healthy (or somewhat healthy). or we can use these guys as assets down the line if we do need to trade for a superstar b/c their contracts are more manageable.

but it's up to morey. i trust him in whatever he does.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agreed that something like this trade is the best I think the Rockets could realistically do with T-Mac and his contract, at least from a basketball standpoint. I think to expect a player any better than Kevin Martin (who is VERY good) in return for T-Mac at this point is bordering on lunacy.

As for what to do with Nocioni and his contract, that's just going to be the price to pay for getting Martin. If he isn't shipped elsewhere (doubtful, given his contract, since the Rockets would have to include a key young player with him in order to dump that salary - just like the Kings will have just done), I see Nocioni playing almost exclusively at PF in a very small big man rotation of Scola, Hayes, Landry and Nocioni. Andersen would be pushed out of the rotation. Nocioni also provides the long-range shooting that Andersen SHOULD be providing, but Andres is a much better rebounder and defender.

Another key aspect to such a deal that no one has mentioned is that (whether SAR is included or, if he can't be, a couple of minimum guys can be included to meet the minimum salary-matching requirements) this trade could potentially drop the Rockets back below the luxury tax threshold. No need to give up cash and/or picks to dump Brian Cook. Heck, the Rockets could even opt to keep one of the Sacramento throw-ins and dump someone like Cook or Dorsey at that point.

Intriguing trade idea. This might be what Morey was referring to all along about making a move for an All-Star caliber player. And I don't think they could do much better, frankly.

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

But you know Martin is not a team player?

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Assuming, of course, this gossip rumor has uh, legs.

8. Kadrak

Kadrak Member

Must admit, I am not a fan of the deal. I understand TMac's value is depreciating with every tick of the clock and I know JT has not even got on the court yet, but I would rather keep JT and play hard ball and make them take Cook. Sac may be a desperate team so we shouldn't give away any of our picks; AN is a poison pill so we need to at least give them our dead weight (Cook). I really would like a big, just in case our current roster actually play there way into a playoff spot.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To deal with Philly the conversation starts with Dalaebert then moves to add Brand THEN you can talk about a young stud. Pretty dear price to pay. (BTW - last summer my 'dream deal' which I believed was doable from both sides' perspectives was McG/Lowry - Brand/Dre (DnT).

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

your manager was lied to

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Oh! contraire - with every tick of the clock TMc's value is INcreasing. But if this deal actually had any legs then Cook +3mm would be part of the deal to have two advantages: Out of lux tax hell and to gain a good TE.

12. worzel gummidge

Martin doesn't need 20+ shots to get 20pts per game.

He's not their playmaker which is problematic if that guy is also an inefficient volume shooter. Martin so far hasn't in his career finished a season averaging 20 shots per game. Last season was a career high at 15.9 FGA.

13. tested911

tested911 Member

I really wouldn't mind this trade..

It comes down to this... Does Darryl the Magician Morey really think we have a better than 80% chance of landing a Start in the 2010 offseason? Seriously we all know T-mac is not going to be here and the organization would look bad if we didn't get something in return for T-mac.

If DM thinks this is the best shot and getting a good return then let the man do his work. I trust him !

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

How long until the national media, and Chinese media pick this up?

:D

DD

15. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

kevin martin can score. but he's also missing more games than tracy mcgrady (with different types of injuries) already and he's a horrendous defender.

on the other hand martin would fit in in adelman's offense and he's about the best we could get for t-mac right now.

i'd probably still wait until martin's healthy again and t-mac has played a couple of games for the rockets to see how he looks.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't think the Kings would want to wait, this is sort of like the Rafer deal last year, where you have to strike while the iron is hot.

If Kmart is back playing well, they may rethink their trade......

And the Rockets don't need Tmac or Kmart right now.....so they basically are in the same boat with our without this trade..........

Sacremento gets insurance money to cover their short position as a franchise and the Rockets get Martin whom they can keep or flip when healthy.

A win win for both teams...IMO.

DD

PS. I would get Leeb's sig for a couple of weeks too....triple win !

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

For the other fans, the insurance money for the Maloofs, it's unlikely to play in their decision. McGrady is expected back by November 23rd, so the Maloofs would only get 1-2 weeks of insurance money.

Xiki is right. McGrady's contract is worth more as the season progresses and ticket sales plummet due to record unemployment and no income for non-essential items like entertainment.

Xiki,

Kings have $54.8 team salary and $57.7 mil, so the Rockets could get only $1.9 mil trade exception at the most. I don't see them trading for anybody useful at that salary.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It would, if there were a shred of reality to this, give time in Sac to look forward with great anticipation to McG stepping on the court for them for the first time as a Christmas present; and K-Mart could acclimate himself with his new teammates and team program before having to get on the court in game situations.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

This part is just not true....Tmac gets an MRI on the 23rd that doesn't mean he can come back then.

It is up to team doctors to make that determination, and if he is still favoring it, as Bucher and Dorsey have said....then....they can keep him out indefinitly and get that insurance money.

Which would be very valuable to the Maloofs.

DD

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

My understanding is that McG gets his next MRI on 11/23 then, if it is a positive outcome, he begins preparing for a mid-December debut.

My most recent reading was (in Stein's week-end piece?) that lux tax would kick in after 69.9mil?