1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gorilla Shot after Child Enters Enclosure

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hustle Town, May 30, 2016.

?

Was the Cincinnati Zoo justified in shooting the gorilla to save the child's life?

1. Yes, you have to save the child's life in this situation. Humans are more valuable than gorillas.

35.3%
  2. Yes, but the child and/or parent is at fault here.

44.8%
  3. No, the animal's life should be valued over the child.

4.3%
  4. No, the child should be punished for being stupid and entering the enclosure.

7.8%
  5. Other/Too Ambiguous

7.8%
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

In general, we see ourselves as "more important than other human beings," but the reality is that I would put my life in harm's way for my kids and my significant other, for my sister. I would have done it for my late parents. My guess is that the majority of those with close family members feel the same way. That their loved ones are more important than other human beings. It's human nature, assuming the people we're talking about are truly human. In my opinion. I have my doubts about the humanity of a whole host of people, however.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why dr Zeius hid the true history of the humans from the apes

3. Granville

Granville Member

Seems that we have a lot of Gorilla Only Fans in this section of the message board.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't blame the parents. I do blame the zoo for providing an unsafe environment.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The kid had to ninja his way over a 3 foot railing through some bushes and down a 15 foot wall to get to the gorilla.

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

There has not been a single child alive that hasn't escaped their parents at some point. Not one.

I blame the zoo for inadequate fencing that a mere 3 year old can defeat.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Then you either don't know enough about the story or you are simply wrong

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How do you feel about this? If a child climbs over this and falls to their death is it the person who wrote the building codes fault? Are you the reason everything I buy has a million safety stickers on it? Don't stick hands in toaster when it is in operation.

[​IMG]

9. Nook

Nook Member

How many children have gone over the enclosure at the Cincinnati Zoo in 38 years of operation?

None before this idiot.

How many barriers were in place to prevent idiots from getting into the enclosure?

Three different barriers, including scaling down a 10 foot fence.

Did you know that the idiot told his mother that he was going to do it before he did?

Did you know that his mother had a history of problems with CPS?

Did you know that his father is a felon with multiple violent criminal convictions?

Did you know that the enclosure was inspected yearly by a zoo organization and passed every single time?

At some point you have to take personal responsibility for yourself and you children. Society cannot idiot proof the world so you can go mindlessly through life.

They put multiple safety precautions in place, and it was sufficient for the millions of visitors that passed through the gates the previous 40 years.

I hope the parents are charged with child endangerment, and the child is take away from his parents. I hope that the parents have to pay all the expenses associated, and that people that cross the parents let them know just how unbelievably stupid they are.

1 person likes this.
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Nah, bro...it's always somebody else's fault.

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

Yeah. This is america. Literally everyone is at fault but your own.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'm not a parent so I'm not going to say how bad the mom was for allowing this to happen. But there is an apparent history of poor parenting here so it's likely some if not most of the blame falls her direction. I don't know about the quality of the enclosure, obviously it's not good that the kid was able to get in but I'd like to see how that happened.

Once the boy fell in and we're 10 minutes into the gorilla standing over him and dragging him the zoo had no choice but to kill him. As tragic as that is you can't risk the life of that child.

It's also amazing how many gorilla experts there are on social media. I mean **** the ability to google and watch YouTube nature videos has really made a lot of assholes out of people. Sure it looks like he's possibly protecting him, but there's absolutely no way you know that for sure. Certainly not from watching that video. 99.9% of the people blasting the decision would have done the exact same thing if it was their kid.

13. SeabrookMiglla

well i think ultimate blame lays upon the zoo; it's their responsibility to protect their animals from all possible threats and minimize situations such as this one from occurring.

i put partial responsibility upon the mother, but a child can escape from your sight in a second. i know good parents, mine included, who've discussed the difficulty of monitoring a child. i cant say its definitively her fault, nobody wants their child to fall 10 feet into a concrete pit filled with gorillas.

unless the mother has some record of poor parenting, and previous record of child neglect etc. then i dont think charges should be pursued. shes probably already getting the hammer from the public mobs, and will be forever affected by this incident. its already bad enough.

as far as a human life vs. an animal life. well, humans are animals. although we're seperated by degrees of intelligence. a human can change the world, a wild animal does not have that capability. a human can work, create, and reproduce more offspring with the same qualities.what seperates this incident from others is that we're dealing with an endangered species... does this add another dynamic to an animal's worth from say your common house cat? is this gorilla's life worth more than that of a chicken or a cow?

it's not an easy decision, but a human's potential is worth more than animal's potential. intelligence is what seperates us from them. it's not the value i personally place on an animal, but the value society places upon an animal. and society values human life over animal life.

you could extend this and say is a normal human being's life worth more than a human born with mental illness?

i love animals btw.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If a parent lets their child out of their sight and the kid runs into the street and gets hit by a car who's at fault -- the driver or the parents?

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The driver, of course. Parents are never wrong when it comes to raising their child.

16. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Kids are just smarter today than 38 years ago, Its apparent that they need to install Ipads on the rails to stop kids from interacting with the animals.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Let? Then the parent is not just responsible but maybe criminally. The driver may also if speeding or under the influence

Otherwise, maybe circumstances just lead to accident. Parent of multiple children know how easy one could momentarily lose track of a child due some event, such as another child requiring immediate attention. Circumstances play a part and without knowing...

There was a witness that tried to grab the child but couldn't in time which may indicate everything happen very fast. Not sure what the perimeter looks like... but those should be part of the investigation to see if improvement should be recommended.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's the mom's fault, the kid's fault, nor the zoo's fault.

Not every situation can be predicted. Unless it is very easy for a kid to get in there by squeezing through the bars, I don't think the zoo should be liable.

I also think that if you are a mom watching a bunch of kids, sometimes you do take your eye of a child for a moment. It happens.

It's just really unfortunate that this incredible gorilla had to die for it.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It turns out the parents mah have known and encouraged the child.

Off to jail they go.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What does these have to do with anything that happened at the zoo?