1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gorgui Dieng

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by haoafu, Feb 3, 2013.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gorgui-Dieng-6219/

Whenever Asik leaves the court, our interior defense struggles. It's well known that good defensive rebounding center who can protect the paint is very hard to find in this league.

Gorgui Dieng is now Pick 28 in draft express mock. 6'11" center with reported 7'6" wingspan and good strength/athleticism. He's a realistic option as a backup for Asik in the future.

He's an excellent man to man and team defender, good rebounder and shot blocker. Like Asik, he's good at defending PNR and the post.

On offense, He's pretty raw but is an excellent PNR partner who can roll hard and finish strong. Also he's already better than Asik at the charity line.

He's already 23 years old, but should have plenty of room for improvement considering his physical attributes and the fact that he started late - arriving in US in 2009.

2. cdastros

cdastros Member

I think he will move up in the draft closer to lottery. Would love to have him though.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Suns will draft him to complete the Gogi-Gorgui Combo

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I could see the Bulls leapfrogging Phoenix for him... the Deng-Dieng pairing just makes more sense.

[youtube]9_PjgRLIhPc[/youtube]

Don't know much about him yet. If he is a legit 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-6 wingspan, I'm sure he'll be intriguing come Draft Day.

5. cdastros

cdastros Member

If you have espn3, you can watch full games of him. Comes across as a very smart player. Reminds me of Asik.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sounds good. Sounds too good, in fact, to go 28th overall. If he's measured as you say he does and can play D and rebound, he will go in the teens even if he is already 23.

8. haoafu

You'd think so, but Asik went in the 2nd round with strong euro league stats and 9'4" standing reach measurement backing him up. I hope his age, raw offense keep him late in this center heavy draft, so that Morey can grab him.

IMO there're quite a few quality center prospects in this draft with only one surefire future star in Noel.

9. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

plays like Ibaka

10. haoafu

http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2528

The man behind nation's #1 ranked defense.

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

The Rockets need a legit back up defensive center. I wouldn't mind trading into middle of the first round to get this guy.

12. haoafu

Now that we have Sun's early second rounder, Hopefully Dieng is still there.

13. haoafu

Championship! He played well with unexpected improvement in passing and shooting.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

If he gets stronger, he could do really well as a starter in the NBA.

15. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

Strikes me as a really hard worker... I wouldn't be surprised to see his offensive game develop dramatically as a pro.

He's still likely a late first rounder but one I will definitely be keeping my eye on.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Morey needs to acquire (trade or purchase) a first rounder to have a chance at Dieng. Likely closer to 6'10 than 6'11 but he is long and very active around the rim.

His vision and passing are also very intriguing for a guy his size (everyone focuses on his shot blocking). Definitely a Morey type of pick, if he even comes out this draft.

17. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

after some workouts I could see this guy going in the lottery.

I mean he's a late bloomer and he's showing KG type skills.

He's a monster defender around the basket. Terrific athleticism, he showed tonight he's got good passing/vision for a big. His mid-range J looks remarkably consistent and he's got a few moves in the post.

All that and he's still learning the game.

18. htownbball

htownbball Member

I like him. Don't see him as a starter because I doubt he ever develops much of an offensive game. Too goofy and uncoordinated to handle the ball for more than a few dribbles. Did show a decent jumpshot, but his offensive game has a long way to go. Would be a great defender off the bench and he can run the floor in transition, may be able to get some easy buckets that way.

19. haoafu

This draft is pretty deep. With Dmo/Trob struggling, Morey should consider trading one of them for a mid-late pick. We have passed the stage when he had to gamble on homeruns, and it'll be very pricey to get centers like Dieng in free agency.

I don't know if we would be lucky to get Len/Gobert, but Dieng is the best realistic choice.

It's been many years I haven't seen so many good center prospects in a draft. Very interesting and underrated draft class.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member