1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Gore's Negro tolerance.... (isn't) too high!"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BrianKagy, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Cynthia McKinney is a jackass. She knows nothing, has shown no judgment or decency, and represents nobody outside of her district -- certainly not blacks, liberals, or Democrats in general. I'm sure I could find some equally nutty rightwinger who claims George W. Bush has a "Wetback problem." And if I do, I hope you'll all ignore me.

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Will-- I'll understand if you can't respond to this question, but which politicians have the best reputations among journalists? I'm looking for personal characteristics such as decency, intelligence, integrity, etc. Also, who else would be on the jackass list?

------------------

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Probably-- if you flip on the network news or buy a copy of the New York Times, such an event would be big news. When it's a Democrat bashing a Democrat-- even an especially entertaining person like McKinney-- it's just something we should ignore.

Which is a bigger story? That a black Congressional representative from Georgia thinks (or thought, or didn't think but was thinking about thinking) Al Gore is a hypocrite on matters of diversity? Or that George W. Bush thinks a reporter is an *******?

Which story got more coverage?

------------------
    There's nothing like the NET... clutchcity.net

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

DREAMer: With all due respect and a nod of thanks for your confidence in my abilities, I could not support your platform, so I would be the wrong choice.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

BK -- Bush made that remark on videotape. We can all see him do it. We don't need anyone else's word that he has an Adam Clymer problem (he's not the only one, BTW).

The Gore situation is different because the only evidence Gore has a "Negro problem" is the assertion of a wacked-out demagogue. There is zero credible evidence that Gore has such a problem.

The comparable scenario isn't the a-hole remark. The comparable scenario would be some fringe fundamentalist accusing Bush, without evidence, of having a "Bible-thumper problem."

I'd cover that story, but only to highlight what an idiot the accuser is.

6. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Just to add to what Will said ...

I did some work for one of Cynthia's opponents in the 1996 Democratic primary (the year she was first elected to Congress), and I can assure you she's nothing but a bomb-thrower. She surrounded herself with some questionable characters in that campaign who were just as militant. (And I'm not just saying that because she beat us! [​IMG] )

Her embarassing flip-flop on this "accusation" tells you all you need to know about her credibility.

------------------

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Jeff,

Whether or not you agree with all 1,000 points of light in my platform [​IMG] doesn't matter.

What matters is that the people of this country have become droids. Democrat versus Republican.

Well, I'm here to tell everyone that sometimes the Democrats are right and sometimes the Republicans are right, but what I want to try to do is pick the best from each side and incorporate it into a party for citizens of this country.

It's time to get lobbyists and big money out of our government.

We need someone who won't be afraid to step on some toes, be they the "right" toes or the "left" toes. Hell, sometimes both.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

grummett -- I can't come up with a list off the top of my head. And this is a subject on which journalists' opinions differ. And you can't fit each pol into a box of "good" or "bad" character. E.g., Bush thinks he can joke about anything, which helps him cut deals and maintain perspective but is sometimes mean or inappropriate. And Gore campaigns like a lying robot because he hates campaigning and would rather spend his time figuring out policy. Good or bad? Hard to say.

9. Bobby

Bobby Member

DREAMer - we'll never agree on everything, but what the hell - I can live with the couple of issues we disagree on. Where do I write in your name on the ballot?!

------------------
    "Who Wants To Be A Rocket?" - and probably a millionaire as well. The off-season will be interesting!