1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gore to endorse Dean!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Couldn't believe my eyes when I read this. This is huge.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20031208/D7VAF64G0.html

Gore to Endorse Howard Dean, Sources Say
    _Email this Story

Dec 8, 4:54 PM (ET)
    By RON FOURNIER
    (AP) Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean speaks at a news conference after receiving New York...
    Full Image

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) - Former Vice President Al Gore intends to endorse Howard Dean for the Democratic presidential nomination, a dramatic move that could cement Dean's position in the fight for the party's nod.

Gore, who lost to President Bush in the disputed 2000 election, has agreed to endorse Dean in Harlem in New York City on Tuesday and then travel with the former Vermont governor to Iowa, sight of the Jan. 19 caucuses which kickoff the nominating process, said a Democratic source close to Gore.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Dean will return from Iowa in time for Tuesday night's Democratic debate in New Hampshire.

Dean's campaign declined to comment.

Gore won the popular vote by half a million votes in 2000 but conceded to Republican Bush after a tumultuous 36-day recount in Florida and a 5-4 Supreme Court vote against him. Gore's concession came Dec. 13, 2000.

The endorsement comes just weeks after two key union endorsements boosted Dean's candidacy. Gore's approval adds further evidence to Dean's case that he can carry the party's mantle next November and is more than an Internet-driven outsider.

Dean leads in key early state polls in New Hampshire and Iowa, and is trying to persuade Democrats wary of his lack of foreign policy experience and missteps on the campaign that his nomination is all but certain.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow, I agree this is huge for Dean.

3. Batman Jones

On a side note, sure sucks to be Joe Lieberman right now.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wesley Clark to-do list:

1. Call Bill, get endorsement ASAP.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

A proven loser endorsing a future loser. What's the big deal?

[​IMG]

6. SamFisher

:eek: Damn, you mean Orlando Sanchez just endorsed Dean too?

:p

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You mean the guy who couldn't win even with '8 years of prosperity'?

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Eh, if an actual ex-President had endorsed him, then yea, it would be huge. Gore couldn't even win his own friggin' home state which by the way, if he had won TN, he would be the President now.

9. Batman Jones

Dean's biggest obstacle to securing the nomination right now is the party establishment. Gore is second only to the Clintons as the face of the party right now. His endorsement goes a long way toward bridging Dean's final gap. As for Manny and Jorge's comments, I wouldn't suggest a Gore nod does anything for Dean in a general election, but it's huge in the primary race. Further, Gore's been on fire since he decided not to run. The endorsement's a very big deal but the fact that Gore plans to stump for Dean is equally big.

Anyone who thinks this is no big deal hasn't been paying attention at all.

10. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I have never understood this argument. Gore should have gotten Tenneseans' votes simply because he's from there? If I run for president, should I win Pennsylvania just because I live there?

Just because a person of one political ideology comes from a certain region doesn't mean that the majority of that region shares that ideology.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If this is true...

Bush will still win. :)

12. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

See this smile? This is Howard's crazy smile. This is the smile that says, 'I hate your guts but I'll smile at you anyway.' This is the smile that says 'I want to tear you limb from limb and then feed your vital organs to hyenas.' Howard is nice and pleasant on the outside, but has a BLAZING INFERNO churning on his inside! Howard is secretly plotting his next bitter rebuke of John Kerry's courageous military service. He is thinking of new ways to stereotype White Southerners or to be insensitive to those who find the Confederate Flag a symbol of injustice. Howard is a crazy maniac seeking his next victim! He stalks the members on his secret 'grudge list' and strangles them in a furious rage while they sleep! This man is a psychopath!

13. SamFisher

[​IMG]
    TJ, help me out:

What does this smile mean? Other than two-time chump?

14. Batman Jones

Link, please.

p.s. Is someone who backed Sanchez actually complaining about crazy smiles?

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

But he did win the popular vote, and would be president if it wasn't for Nader.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I must say I hope that facial expressions become a central issue in the 2004 race.
    This will play well to any mammal that runs against the current president.

17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you read about Dean's recent appearance w/ Jesse Jackson. Dean supporters were caring signs that read "African-Americans for Dean." Problem was, all the sign carriers were white! Perhaps the signs should have read, "Afrikaner-Americans for Dean!" :D

Actually, i think this is pretty significant for Dean, at least as far as the primaries go. Gore's been almost Howard-esque in his anger lately, so it fits with his campaign 2000 repudiation of most of what he and Bill Clinton ran on. I can't see it being a big boost in the general election. It's not like there was any question of the party establishment repudiating their nominee.

While there are some things I like about Dean, and I do think he's a more formidable opponent than Dukakis, Mondale, or McGovern (he's a much more ruthless, cunning politician than they were, and I say that w/out malice- all successful politicians are cunning and ruthless to some degree), I could never vote for him. He's wrong about gun control, wrong about taxes, and unbelievable wrong about foreign policy. He's got hutzpah tho'- I'll gibe him that!

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Mistake for both parties. Gore should not endorse any candidates and Dean should not saddle his horse to Gore.

19. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Dang no edit. That quote from Dean should read:

I want to tear you limb from limb and then handfeed your vital organs to hyenas.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Gore has more legitimacy than any of the other current candidates. If you believe this is bad for Dean, who would have been a better Democrat to endorse him. Clinton? Daschle?