1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gore Cuts His Running Mate List Down to 6, then 5

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketMan Tex, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

BK,

I have the utmost respect for Gen. Powell, but there will always be the question 'Would Bush have the gumption to choose a minority that wasn't also the most respected man in America?'.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

2. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

He might of asked. But who'd he choose? Action speak louder than words, my friend.

And if I glance at the people on the Democratic Convention floor, I am sure I am not going to spot the occasional fly in the sea of rice like I saw at the Republican Convention.

The first women to be a candidate for Vice-President was Geraldine Ferraro. Chosen by Walter Mondale. Mondale was a Democrat. First Jewish Vice-President candidate is Lieberman. Chosen by Al Gore. Gore is a Democrat.

Who is doing the inclusion here?

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited August 07, 2000).]

3. Bobby

Bobby Member

I'm not convinced that Lieberman is a done deal yeat. Kerry would be a better choice.

As for the ticket having two Vietnam veterans, it's true in name only. Gore was a REMF reporter for the Stars and Stripes, enjoying the relative safety of Saigon (probably as safe as NYC). I was a Ranger grunt and never heard of or saw a reporter at a firebase in NW South Vietnam. In fact, Gore was there less than six months, compared to 13 months for us ground pounders, then rushed back to the US to help on his father's Senate election campaign. Now Kerry's service record is much more credible; he is a true vet. I do believe that flying an F-4 or a F-105, even as a reservist, had to be more dangerous and take more courage than being a reporter. I'd much prefer jumping out of planes than pulling G's in a fighter.

------------------
    "Who Wants To Be A Rocket?" - and probably a millionaire as well. The off-season will be interesting!

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Just to give Bush the benefit of the doubt, there is no way of knowing whether Bush did ask and Powell declined. Just because GWB asked someone doesn't mean they have to accept.

------------------
    www.houstonsportsboard.com

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Bobby, its already a done deal.

------------------

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

From the Washington Post - March 20, 2000

WASHINGTON -- With the Republican primary campaign essentially completed, the politerati have started obsessing about the next best thing: running mates. George W. Bush's selection will be important in defining his own candidacy. Of all the GOP names tossed about these days, none stirs such enthusiasm among Republicans as that of Colin Powell, the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Columnist George Will hailed Powell as Bush's best choice. Bush has said Powell would be a wonderful ticket-mate. Powell, though, maintains he has no interest in the post.

------------------

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Lieberman, huh. Well, I admire Gore for choosing someone of Jewish descent. The guy even skipped his own congressional swearing in because it was on the Sabbath! Any thoughts?

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

8. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I absolutely love Gores choice. Brilliant move. Liebermans record is mint! The guy has high standards, has a record for standing up for minority issues and is really respected by Republicans which could help if Gore is elected. On top of that, he is Jewish. And that is a good thing because it shows who is really the party of inclusion. But that is not that big a deal(to me anyway). Alot of newspapers around here are making it sound like the guy is an alien or something. It does give me hope, though, that one day we might see some color in the White House. I really like the choice. Especially when the guy has the respect of everyone. Gore didn't go with the popular choice, so he might lose.

I am now really interested in this election. The Democratic Convention will be a joke. Another party. But if they ever get into some serious discussions about issues, I will be right there.

------------------

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He was also one of the Democrats that blasted Clinton during Zippergate, which could work well for independents.

I still would have chosen Kerry, but I think this is much better than any of the rest, save Rubin or Bradley.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

10. mc mark

11. mrpaige

Well, he voted no on repealing the federal speed limits, so he's lost my vote. [​IMG]

You can't be from West Texas and have much respect for the Double Nickel (Or even the 65 limit that was on Interstates toward the end of the federal rule).

Seriously, though, except for a few issues here and there, that record from the issues2000 site could easily be mistaken for the record of a Republican. I am willing to say that Sen. Lieberman's record is one of a centrist Democrat in pretty much every area.

------------------

12. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

So, GWB asking Colin Powell to be his VP didn't mean anything...?

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Lieberman bears an uncanny resemblance to the guy from Alf......

14. mc mark

Jeff,

I think it's a good choice. My only concern is that people will be intelligent enough to look past his religious heritage and look at the man and his stand on issues. My wife seems to be under the impression that all people will see is a "jew" and automatically dismiss him. I have a little more faith in people (I hope I'm not being naive) to make an informed choice.

------------------

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

moondogg: Max Wright played Willie Tanner on Alf. He was born August 2, 1943 and has appeared in numerous films and tv shows.

[​IMG]

And, yes, Liberman looks like him.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

16. mrpaige

See, I thought he meant that Lieberman looks like Alf.

Isn't that Max Wright guy on Norm now?

------------------

17. BrianKagy

Oh, I see. Because Ferraro (lol, can't write/say her name without laughing) and Lieberman are political opportunists but Colin Powell thinks he can serve his country better in other ways-- such as accepting a post as Secretary of State, the Democrats are inclusive and the GOP isn't.

When Powell and Condolleeza Rice are appointed to Cabinet positions, you'll have to do some real quick half-thinking to come up with an equally inconsistent opinion.

I am no longer taking this seriously.

18. BrianKagy

That's where we disagree: policies. I think black Americans would be better off under a Republican government-- especially those of them that are on welfare or living in poverty.

Most Democrats seem to think one of two things: A), Republicans are mostly interested in harming, repressing, or otherwise acting maliciously towards black Americans, or B) the GOP's failure to neatly label each of its policies under racial categories is equivalent to 'ignoring' racial minorities. Either way, Democrats are not shy about loudly interpreting matters that way when presenting their position to black voters-- whatever the GOP says or wants is alternately bad or indifferent for blacks.

Here is a little tip: when the GOP refers to its plan to help 'Americans' accomplish something, that includes blacks. That fact is conspicuously and intentionally (in my opinion) ignored by the left.

------------------
    I didn't use the cocaine to get high, I just liked the way it smelled.

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

BK, no offense, but you sound like a tired old Ronald Reagan LP with a scratch on it. You may agree with Dubya that this is a new, inclusive Republican party, but I for one will wait and see just how inclusive it is before agreeing with him. Past precedent demands it.

------------------
    Bring It!!

20. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Brian,

As far as the GOP's stance on minorities, I think that in the past, they have had people on their side that were overtly racist... but that in large part that the party will no longer be able to cater to those people (that is, former Demo or 'Dixiecrats' such as Strom Thurmond, etc.). I think that last week's convention was fluff, but if Bush wins it will be as monumental as Clinton's move to the center. Both are essentially challenging the extremists in their party to:

a) Not vote for them. Who are they going to vote for? This year the stakes are raised: both of the 'third parties' this year cater to the margins. Unfortunately for Gore, social conservatives will vote for Bush and many liberals will blindly vote for Nader. Hopefully Nader will be given a platform in the presidential debates, because honestly, I think Gore will destroy him as well as Bush.

b) Not vote. I would be interested in finding out how many zealots actually do not vote. My guess is that very few would actually not vote, regardless of the differences they have with their candidate.

It's actually tolerable for a democrat to voice non-liberal views nowadays. If Bush wins (god that's scary), something good will actually come out of it because some of the crazy Southern Republicans will try to cater to a constituency that they ignored in the past.

On real issues, I actually have to concede that the Republicans are like the Rockets at the end of the season: nothing to lose. They, like Perot in '92, can actually challenge the status quo w/ some innovative ideas. If Bush were a little bit more moderate on some of the bigger themes (tax cuts, for example), he'd actually do a better service to some of his more novel ideas... such as shoring up social security, vouchers, etc.

Unfortunately for Bush, however, he's gotten Gore's attention. I heard there will be two debates. I expect the first one to be charisma and alot of 'he called me risky' (much like Bush attacked McCain, and when McCain returned the favor Bush said he hurt me with his wooooords [​IMG]). I expect the second debate to show Gore to be the master.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited August 08, 2000).]