1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gore Cuts His Running Mate List Down to 6, then 5

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketMan Tex, Aug 3, 2000.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Keeping with the recent political threads around this BBS, here are your contestants for The Price is Wrong:

House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt of Missouri, Senators John Kerry of Massachusetts, John Edwards of North Carolina, Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut and Evan Bayh of Indiana, and New Hampshire Gov. Jeanne Shaheen, who promptly took herself out of consideration.

My personal (IMHO) spin:

I'll bet my lunch money that he goes with John Kerry. The longshot bet would be Joe Lieberman. I doubt it will be Bayh because he favors a ban on late term abortions. And I don't really think that Gephardt wants to do it.

PS: My lunch money is less than five bucks! [​IMG]

------------------
    Bring It!!

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

RM Tex:

Did you learn why Bob Graham wasn't in the list? I would find that interesting.

Thanks.

p.s. a John Kerry selection would seem to silence Cheney and Bush's (wusses) complaints against the Democrats' defense record.

p.s.s. Is it just me or are both parties essentially the same now? Both parties have strived for moderation. Now, the only way in which to question the candidates is to look at their records and question their motives.

------------------
    Dubyah: Because the picture on the newspaper. It just seems so un-American to me, the picture of the guy storming the house with a scared little boy there. I talked to my little brother, Jeb—I haven't told this to many people. But he's the governor of—I shouldn't call him my little brother--my brother, Jeb, the great governor of Texas.
    Jim Lehrer: Florida.
    Dubyah: Florida. The state of the Florida.
    —The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer, April 27, 2000

Dubyah Speaks.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited August 03, 2000).]

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't want Bob Graham. If he accepts the nomination, then Bush would have the power to appoint a replacement, which would be a Republican.

I want him to choose Rubin. That would be an excellent choice.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited August 03, 2000).]

4. Achebe

Is that true RM 95? That seems highly unconstitutional. The voters should have their say (which would probably still be a moderate republican [​IMG]).

Joe L. distances Gore from Clinton, but face it... mainstream America isn't going to vote for someone of Jewish decent (in every poll in N.C., Harvey always leads Helms, and inevitably the voters of course vote for Helms)... at least not on the Democratic side. The first lady, black or Jew (is that right, perhaps I should say 'of Jewish descent' again) VP or Pres. will be a Republican, obviously.

I think Kerry or Rubin have to be the nominee. I would like to know more about Rubin.

------------------
    Dubyah: Because the picture on the newspaper. It just seems so un-American to me, the picture of the guy storming the house with a scared little boy there. I talked to my little brother, Jeb—I haven't told this to many people. But he's the governor of—I shouldn't call him my little brother--my brother, Jeb, the great governor of Texas.

Dubyah Speaks.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Gore needs someone popular to get him back in the race. The Democrats will honor President Clinton on the first night of their convention then tell him to get the hell out of LA. Gore will finally have the chance to get out of Clinton's personal shadow.

Kerry is a Vietnam Veteran. It should be quite interesting how that will play out should he be chosen.

Why is there such a backlash against Clinton (besides his personal mess)? I would think it would be Gore's advantage to use Clinton however he needs him.

------------------
    This, my friends, is a post.

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited August 03, 2000).]

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I just hope it's not Bayh.

Gephardt would be a dream; my luck's not that good.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How did Hutchinson get in at first, wasn't she appointed after Bentsen left, and she just finished the term and got elected in 1994?

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

8. Achebe

BK,

That's the funniest thing I've read here for a while. [​IMG]

If Gore chooses the symbolic 80s' Democratic loser, I'll cry... and move to Vienna, Austria (and then cry some more).

Do you think Bayh has that much influence? I realize that he's pretty well respected... but will he get the Independents (not professing to know whether or not Kerry could handle that task)?

------------------

Dubyah Speaks.

9. RocketMan Tex

I really think it will be Kerry. Vietnam vet, young-looking (although he is only two years younger than Dick Cheney), decent record on the issues. Kerry as his running mate will allow the Dems to portray the Republican ticket as "old-guard", etc.

I'll tell you one thing: If Gore does choose Kerry, there is no way in hell I will sleep through the Vice Presidential debate. That'll be a barn-burner!

...but even a choice of John Kerry wouldn't persuade me to vote for them...

------------------
    Bring It!!

10. Achebe

I cannot wait to see the presidential debates (provided Bush doesn't wuss out as he did immediately after Super Tuesday).

If the ugly one (Gore) doesn't come across as an automaton, it should be enlightening...

------------------

Dubyah Speaks.

11. Smokey

The Question and Answer sessions of the VP debates should be the ones to watch. Chaney will have to be ready to answer questions about his military record from the Vietnam Vet.

------------------
    This, my friends, is a post.

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Nobody here thinks it'll be Jeanne Shaheen?

13. Achebe

Will,

Didn't she pull herself out of the running?

I'm betting on Kerry being the nominee. Whether it is moronic or not... having two Vietnam Vets on the stage will look rather formidable compared to the Bush/Cheney (4 deferrals? damn) 'wusathon' platform.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

14. Smokey

Gore should announce Sen. Joseph Lieberman as his VP tomorrow.

Oh this is a big threat to Bush/Cheney. Not.

------------------
    "Oh, God, Johnny, don't point that gun at me
    There's so many ways our lives have changed
    But please, I beg, don't do this to me" - New Order

15. LHutz

LHutz Member

WILL is right, DUKE GUARANTEES it will be Jeanne Shaheen Rahim Abdul-Jabbar, DUKE has a exclusive source who PROPOGATED this rumor down to me!!!

In other news, DUKE heard that the DEMOCRATS are planning a REBUTT to the Republacans convention-- A CONVENTION OF THEIR OWN!!! brillant!

------------------
    A SNEEZE is nature's WAY of saying "ACHOOOOO!!!"

16. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Well, Lieberman does have the New Democrat credentials, but he has zero charisma. I think Kerry would've been a better choice, but, as far as issues go, Lieberman is a decent choice. (The charisma thing could hurt, though.)

------------------
    www.houstonsportsboard.com

17. Achebe

When I first heard this this morning I have to admit, I was preparing for the Bush years... that is, I was going to move to Vancouver. [​IMG]

But listening to him & reading his bio, I have to hope that it's not like the scene in Annie Hall when Woody Allen (Ralph?) goes to visit Annie's (Keaton) family. Everything's normal until they show Annie's grandmother's perspective and she sees an Orthodox Jew w/ the curlies et. al..

The electorate is 30% Republican, 30% Democrat and 40% Indie. Here's to the Indies not all living in the deep South. [​IMG]

Can Lieberman (sp?) take some of McCain's votes? His bio cites him as a campaign finance reform advocate, merely w/o the charisma and 'War Hero' title.

Damn, if Lieberman could just be a war hero from the midwest... it'd be over. [​IMG]

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

Dubyah Speaks

18. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Can someone fill me in regarding Gore's new Vice President selection, Joseph Liberman.

What are his core values, what are his strength's and weaknesses. What does he bring to the table? Please fill me in.

All that I have heard so far is that he is Jewish. I know Tipper is Jewish and now the Libberman. Is this a sign of things to come?

This selection has got me rethinking my vote.

------------------
    There's no 'I' in the word team, but there's three of them in Isaiah Rider. :D

19. Achebe

In what way Dream34?

------------------

Dubyah Speaks

20. RocketMan Tex

Brian...did Dubya ask him? I thought Powell took himself out of consideration before Dubya had a chance to ask him. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I read.

------------------
    Bring It!!