1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GoPro cameras

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by K-Low_4_Prez, Nov 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I was looking to pick up a GoPro just to mess around with. I don't really have a problem spending the $400 if that's the best value but I was just wandering if anybody had any suggestions as to what is the best model. Like I have heard things like the new "Hero 3+" has problems focusing and it would be better to get the "Hero 3"

So if anybody has any expierence with these I would really appreciate some help on this.

Or if anybody thinks another brand of camera would be the better value, I'm looking for a video camera that isn't to bulky that is under $500.

2. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Considering you're buying this just to play around with, you probably don't need the 4K video in the Hero 3+ black. I'd save the $100 and go for the silver. You can buy accessories or memory with the money you save.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have the hero 3+ black. I've only used it a few times but I have enjoyed it. I haven't heard about the focusing problem, but I didn't do much research either so I can't really speak on that. Overall, I've been impressed with the pictures and video although I will point out lowlight pictures didn't come out very well.

It has a ton of extra features that I probably won't use since I'm a causal user so depending on what you expect to use it for and how much I would think the silver would be fine. If you're not concerned with the extra cost, might as well go ahead with the black.

Make sure you get the gopro app. It's really convenient.

Also, you might want to get an extra battery because mine does seem to eat the battery up pretty quick.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff so what is the difference between 4k and whatever the silver has?

How big of an issue is it not to have the app? I am stuck with a windows phone right now that doesn't support it. Also are there any other accessories you would recommend picking up before I leave the store? I will probably use it to film skate videos and just everyday adventures with my friends.

Thanks for the help guys!

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Oh also how is the audio on them? I've seen there is a Microphone accessory, I'm just wandering if that is necessary.

6. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

4K is the picture resolution. Which is 4096x2160. The silver can only shoot 1920x1080 I believe.

7. chrisgraham

chrisgraham Member

^^^actually 3840x2160,,,, also look into the sony action cam for $300 it has all the same features but in my opinion it has better picture(probably because of carl zeiss lense)

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i used a go pro2 several years back on a diving trip with some buddies. it was very good for taking videos, but the photos (at least the panoramic type) were terribly distorted. also it was a pain to get a good grip on when you hold it, and got dropped a few times actually

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Pretty much agree with your review. Unless you want to use the action features, these aren't great cameras. They are specialized for attaching to a car, helmet, water ski or whatever. If you are looking for waterproof, there are cases for compact cameras.

Camcorders aren't cameras.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If you're looking to save money, and all you want to do is low-budget and family-style movies with the protection of the all-weather smaller camera, I recommend the Swann Freestyle.

I wasn't about to dump $400 on a camera that I wouldn't even use. I'm Mexican, we don't do X Games crap. :p

I have one. :eek: It's a'ight.

I have sample if you want to see it. I bought a suction cup thingie and attached it to my car, and sped up the video 16x because it's a long trip.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not an issue, it just means you have to connect it to the computer to show people. With the app, you can show/watch it immediately after without having to conect up to a device.

Accessories..I don't know. I might just play around with what it comes with and figure out what you'd like... but i'd imagine and extra base or two would be a good idea.

As for the sound quality, I think it's pretty good without having an extra microphone.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I've narrowed it down to either the "Hero 3 silver" or the "Sony HDR AS-15" I will probably do a little more research as to what would be best for my needs.

13. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Curious as to where you got 3840x2160, I had to look this up:

- 4096×2160 is considered 4K when it comes digital cinema cameras and film projectors, but it has a 17:9 aspect ratio.

- Ultra HD TVs use a 3840x2160 4K resolution to fit the 16:9 standard.

That being said the GoPro can shoot both 4K resolutions, but the frame rate is slow.

4096x2160 17:9 @ 12fps
    3840x2160 16:9 @ 15fps

24/30fps are the standards, so it doesn't seem worth it unless you're shooting a time lapse. You can shoot 2.7K at 24/30fps, but that's it. Shooting action with a gopro would be a lot better with a 60fps option.

Anyway, I just thought this was interesting.

TL;DR VERSION:
    - Black GoPro not worth it.
    - Buy Silver.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Anyone??

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

These are action cameras, so don't expect great audio. If you're wanting a camera to record a wedding, this ain't it. lol. I have the previous generation GoPro and the audio on that wasn't that great, but then, for what I used it for, I couldn't care less. Also the previous generation camera's lens was a fisheye lens which bugged some people - not sure about the current gen.

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yeah I get that I'm just wandering about like if I'm filming a skate video am I just going to hear wind? Or will I hear the board and the cars and stuff.

19. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yes it was quite a find, I got my order in right before midnight! Thanks again to Uprising!