1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP primary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Jul 17, 2011.

?

Who is your pick for the GOP nominee?

1. Michelle Bachmann

2.4%
  2. Herman Cain

7.3%
  3. Newt Gingrich

2.4%
  4. Jon Huntsman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gary Johnson

14.6%
  6. Ron Paul

26.8%
  7. Tim Pawlenty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Rick Perry

9.8%
  9. Mitt Romney

22.0%
  10. Undecided/Other

14.6%
  1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm interested to know how BBS Republicans or right-leaning independents or anyone else that might vote in a GOP primary (excluding leftie spoilers) thinks of the field of candidates.

I'm making this a public poll just so it will be obvious if some left-leaner comes in and screws up the sample.

This is a thread to vote for your preferred candidate, as of now anyway, and to discuss the merits of the candidates amongst yourselves.

I think it would be better if liberals and left-leaning indies didn't post in this thread, and I won't make another post here after this one. If a leftie or leaner wants to respond to anything that might be posted in this thread, maybe they could start a new thread. I think the righties would be more comfortable posting in a thread where they know they won't have to fight with the other side. And I'd find that conversation fascinating to read.

I hope everyone that votes will have something to say on behalf of his/her candidate and will even share their assessment of the rest of the field as well.

* I included announced candidates plus Rick Perry because he seems most likely of potential candidates to enter the race, and possibly the only one left that is likely to announce a run. I wanted to include Palin and Giuliani too, but made the call to cut them because only 10 options are allowed and they seem a little less likely to run. If you support one of them, please vote undecided/other and advocate for them by posting.

#1 Batman Jones, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'm leaning Gary Johnson, but I don't like his abortion stance. Maybe Bachmann would be better, but she just seems to damaged already by the media to win.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Perry or Palin

4. Fatty FatBastard

I'm guessing it will be Romney. Palin would be r****ded. I don't see Bachmann doing any kind of real stir, but she might rise up like the Obama campaign.

As to if it matters? It doesn't Democrats are simply seat fillers until a Republican pops back in.

We, as a people, really need to support a 3rd party one of these days. And the tea party ain't it.

5. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Chris Christie

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Romney, easily. He's the only one that's semi-sane. If he doesn't get nominated, I'll vote for Obama, as I can't support the GOP as it is today.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Palin would be the most interesting, and Romney would be the most competitive. I think Palin controls the social conservative vote and could win the primary on that alone, but would be a Goldwater '64 type failure: both in terms of the electoral disaster, but also as a martyr of sorts for younger, conservative females or undereducated older white women.

Romney provides a contrast: not so much to Obama as to the perception of a lack of control, he has just enough business success and non-Washington governing experience to appear competent and "bi-partisan" compared to anyone in government. If his advisors had any sense whatsoever, Romney wouldn't even have a stance on social issues.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Ron Paul. There's not a better Republican.

9. babyicedog

babyicedog Member

You want a foul-mouthed a** in the White House?

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Are you a 10 year old girl? Who gives a **** if he cusses? Grow a pair.

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Is there any sign he's running? I don't know enough about him if he would, but from what I've seen, he has no plans.

I used to support him. You know what they say about those who convert to a different ideology - they hate their old one the most.

Paul is insane, his supporters are generally holy crap insane ( meeting a bunch of them IRL for the first time and seeing that all of them were Alex Jones/NWO/9/11 Truth nutjobs was a huge reason I came not to support him), and he has a few good ideas, but the ones he keeps harping on are the most dangerous, most notably his anti-Fed stuff. Not to mention that little report that his supporters ( like myself) seemed to sweep under the rug.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rick Perry - Bat***** crazy in my opinion but i really want him out of Texas
    Mitt Romney - The forgotten man in all this? I cannot say he has said anything Ridiculously stupid yet. .. . then again . . I have not followed him and the news doesn't seem to either too much .

Rocket River

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Whoops. Should have read Batman's OP fully. Please remove one vote for Gary Johnson. Sorry!

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That ticket screams "used car salesman".

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've donated to Gary Johnson and Ron Paul. I'd want Gary Johnson as President, but I don't think either will win, so I want both of them to stay in long enough to affect the national conversation.

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

lifelong independent who joined the democratic party in 2008 in order to vote against hillary clinton in the primary. im ashamed to admit that i did vote for obama at that time.

i will have to change my party affiliation to vote in the primary, but ron paul would be my choice if he is still in. he will not get the nomination though - like 2008, he should just run as an independent and see what happens. besides gary johnson, there is no other republican candidate i would consider supporting or who i even have an ounce of respect for.

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I would vote for Gary Johnson over anyone else running and over Obama in the general election, FWIW.

Johnson/Paul would be teh awesome!

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised that you would consider supporting Michele Bachmann. You are one of the more informed posters here and lay out some very good arguments to support your points so I am surprised you would consider someone like Michelle Bachmann who frequently comes off as either ignorant or very loose with the facts. Also whose positions are almost reflexively ideological with seeming little thought or analysis to support them.

I mean for example do you agree with Bachmann that if we don't raise the debt ceiling that everything will be OK?

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I agree with Johnson's views over anyone, he came to my school and talked with a bunch of students, really smart guy. He will be what Ron Paul has been of the past 8 years, a bright man who stirs up conversation who isn't just a bs politician like a lot of these other candidates... *Cough* Rick *Cough*. So for now I still go for Ron Paul, it's his last shot.

The Presidency should be reserved for a vet. He is our head diplomat and commander and chief... Guess who is the only vet out of this group! The one man who is sensible enough to know we need to get our asses out off all these countries.

Romney changes his mind too much but he is a good business man. Something we lack.

Palin... is a joke to the GOP.

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member