1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP: Female body has natural defense against pregnancy in case of legitimate rape

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 19, 2012.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

In the most recent election (the 2010 midterms) the GOP picked up 63 house seats and 6 senate seats. Clearly the Republican Party is in it's death throes.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Had any legitimate rapes today? Thanks for playing.... :grin:

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I can't be legitimately raped because I am male. :eek:

4. Nook

Nook Member

(CNN) -- They will say this is about one person.

It is not.

They will attempt to distance themselves from the controversy.

But they can't.

They will even try to claim the whole conversation is a distraction from the "real issues."

And yet they never shy away from using this same conversation to fire up their base, or hurl attack ads or raise funds.

LZ GrandersonThe truth is the "legitimate rape" comment made by U.S. Rep. Todd Akin -- as in pregnancy from "legitimate rape" is rare -- is not a GOP anomaly, but rather another disturbing glimpse into the viewpoint too many social conservatives have about women's health and reproductive rights. And if abortion is not among the "real issues," why is the GOP platform committee considering adding a ban, with no mention of exceptions, to this year's to-do list?

Last March, in a discussion in the Kansas House about whether women purchase separate abortion-only policies, Republican state Rep. Pete DeGraaf suggested women should plan ahead for rape the way he keeps a spare tire. A few weeks later, Indiana state Rep. Eric Turner, a Republican, said some women might fake being raped in order to get free abortions.

Former presidential hopeful Rick Santorum suggested doctors who perform an abortion on a woman who becomes pregnant from an attack should be thrown in jail and this year suggested rape victims who become pregnant from an attack should be forced to keep the baby and "make the best out of a bad situation."

Pressure builds on Akin to leave race
    Rep. Todd Akin's empty chair
    RNC: Akin must decide his own future And we're to believe Akin is just a one-off.

Please.

More than 200 Republican members of Congress joined him in co-sponsoring House Resolution 3, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act, when it contained language restricting the exception for federally funded abortions to "an act of forcible rape or, if a minor, an act of incest."

Forcible rape.

That's not too far from "legitimate rape"

So vice presidential hopeful Paul Ryan can try to backpedal away from Akin as fast as he can, but his name is still on the record in support of that bill, with that language. He can say he's in line with Mitt Romney and would not ban abortions in the case of rape, but it's his name attached to House Resolution 212: Sanctity of Human Life Act, which would have done just that.

No wonder Romney chose Ryan as his running mate; he admires the speed with which the congressman from Wisconsin flip-flops.

So yes, the current general election conversation may be largely about Medicare. The dialogue may eventually work its way back to the economy and jobs. But don't think for a second that social issues -- particularly abortion -- are not in the GOP's sights. Since the tea party helped pull the GOP back into power in 2010 -- under the guise of controlling government spending -- close to 1,000 anti-abortion bills have been introduced across the country. I can't think of anything approaching that number of bills with the goal of creating jobs in that same time span, can you?

At a Personhood USA "tele-town hall meeting" in December, Santorum, Michele Bachmann, Newt Gingrich and Rick Perry all said they would work to outlaw all abortions, regardless of the circumstances. You can fully expect a Republican Congress to move quickly to ban all abortions, regardless of circumstances.

And given that a would-be President Romney said, "I will protect a woman's right to choose," when he was running for Massachusetts governor in 2002, only to become an anti-abortion advocate while running for president, there's no telling which side of the issue he will fall on, on any given day.

Some social conservatives talk of protecting religious freedom, but what they are really seeking is a theocracy that places limits on freedom based on a version of Judeo-Christianity that fits their liking. That language is also being considered for the GOP's national platform. Some speak of fighting abortion because of their religious convictions and then belittle the trauma caused by rape.

They think they can make this controversy all about Akin, as if Ryan's legislative history is just going to disappear. As if DeGraaf never suggested women should plan ahead for rape the way he keeps a spare tire. As if none of us are paying attention.

But we are.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/opinion/granderson-gop-rape-abortion/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Republican rep Steve King doubles down on teh stupid!

Rep. Steve King: I’ve Never Heard Of A Girl Getting Pregnant From Statutory Rape Or Incest

Rep. Steve King, one of the most staunchly conservative members of the House, was one of the few Republicans who did not strongly condemn Rep. Todd Akin Monday for his remarks regarding pregnancy and rape. King also signaled why — he might agree with parts of Akin’s assertion.

King told an Iowa reporter he’s never heard of a child getting pregnant from statutory rape or incest.

“Well I just haven’t heard of that being a circumstance that’s been brought to me in any personal way,” King told KMEG-TV Monday,

1 person likes this.
  6. Raven

Raven Member

So has the decrepit swine dropped out yet?

7. Nook

Nook Member

Should the rest of the decrepit swine drop out as well?

8. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

RT @BreakingNews: GOP Rep Todd Akin says he plans to continue Missouri Senate bid after rape pregnancies comment - @GovMikeHuckabee show

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

A smart dude that advocated nuking Vietnam and starting WW3?

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Funny thing is Steve King is actually in a competitive race as well after Iowa redrew his district.

Glad to see he's really helping his chances as well.

11. Major

Major Member

Wow - I kind of assumed he was in a safe GOP district, given his high profile and general extremeness. It would be a huge win for Dems if they could get rid of this guy.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No pregnancy from incest? Steve King apparently never heard of the Hapsburgs.

[​IMG]

And the birth in the state of Kentucky would be halved if you can't get pregnant from incest. :p

Jokes aaide... Just because he doesn't PERSONALLY know someone in that circumstance doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I mean, I don't personally know Osama Bin Laden. Does it mean I should act like he doesn't exist?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Republican Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen:

"I do not know whether I am a liberal. I think I am a garden variety conservative. If I remember my Latin, I think the word ‘liberal' was derived from the word ‘liver,' meaning free, and the suffix ‘al' means ‘pertaining to.' So the word ‘liberal' means pertaining to freedom. If that is it, I am a genuine, unmitigated, unreconstructed, unregenerated, 100-percent, dyed-in-the-wool liberal, in the sense of my devotion to freedom, and that means the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and everything else that is the embodiment of the principles of freedom."

[Congressional Record, February 17, 1960. In debate on civil rights bill (S2526)]

The Republican Party was not always what it is today. They should look to the past and find the future.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Probably. From what I hear, Osama Bin Laden ceases to exist.

15. mc mark

This is excellent news for Mr. Romney!

16. mc mark

This moron just keeps digging a hole.

Now he's calling women liars.

Akin Clarifies ‘Legitimate Rape’ Comments: Women Make ‘False Claims’ About Being Raped

Arguing that he misplaced the word “legitimate,” Akin explained — during a follow up interview with Dana Loesch — that he meant to argue that women sometimes lie about being raped:

AKIN: You know, Dr. Willkie has just released a statement and part of his letter, I think he just stated it very clearly. He said, of course Akin never used the word legitimate to refer to the rapist, but to false claims like those made in Roe v. Wade and I think that simplifies it….. There isn’t any legitimate rapist…. [I was] making the point that there were people who use false claims, like those that basically created Roe v. Wade.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What an absolute idiot.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My thoughts:

1. Of course there are false reports of rape, just like there are false reports of any crime. If you have a "rape exception" in any abortion restriction, there will be an issue about how you determine when such exception applies since the judicial system often takes a long time to reach a point of conviction/acquittal.

2. I don't think anyone (or at least not many) understood him to mean that "legitimate rapes" mean rapes that are socially acceptable. So, the whole "no rape is legitimate" response is kind of meaningless.

Reading his original words in context, I think pretty much all of us thought "legitimate rape" means "when a women is really raped" and found that statement regarding natural defenses to pregnancy to be ignorant and offensive.

3. As a political matter, whatever position Akin takes on this matter, the longer he talks about it and the longer he's in the race, it hurts the GOP's chances not only in this Missouri Senate election, but also elsewhere to the extent that people's impression of the GOP brand is influenced by their impression of Akin (and Steve King and others like them).

4. That's kind of the GOP dilemma, though: Many GOP politicians would like nothing more than for Akin to just go away and stay quiet. The problem is Todd Akin is not exactly alone in the GOP. The social conservative wing is a big chunk of the party membership and a big chunk of its ranks of politicians so it's not that simple to shut them up.

I am pretty sure many social conservatives are already butt-hurt over the repudiation of one of their own.

19. Nook

Nook Member

He means exactly what he said.

It is his opinion, and one held by a number of other people.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

People that think babies shouldn't be killed because the 17 year old mom was boinking the 23 year old dad? The horror. How will the GOP ever recover from such a blunder?