1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP Convention lol !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 18, 2016.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While it makes for more entertainment, I don't hold anything against Mrs. Trump on her speech. It was obviously prepared for her and the fault of the writers and Trump team vetters.

Which is the continuing problem with Trump and his people... they are obviously not ready for this. Worst, their response to this... putting Mrs. Trump in the position to claim it was all her own work, then re-spinning it as "shared values and experiences" simply demonstrates a complete lack of honesty and responsibility... making her look worst.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Stay focused people, on real issues that affect your life everyday. Not this TMZ-esque bullcrap.

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

"the sexy lingery don't seem very fomfotable :D" - Melania Trump

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And the Warriors only lost because the Cavs tried to score on them.

5. NewRoxFan

Oy... while I don't hold Mrs. Trump responsible... is it impossible for anyone supporting to accept any responsibility for major mistakes without trotting out a "well, others make mistakes too"? It doesn't make the Trump team mistakes any better.

They plagiarized parts of Mrs. Obama's speech. Mrs. Obama's speech was a good one, and while it was so recent you'd think they would have avoided doing it, denying it now just makes it worst. Instead... just say "yup, someone's bad", move on, and give kudos to something you think they did well.

btw, it would be funny to read the reaction to Mrs. Obama's speech. I know Trump was quoted as saying it was a great speech, but it would be funny to see other right wingers criticizing it back then.

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

"It's my fault we're not executing well at the GOP Convention. It's my fault a couple people in the stands ordered St Arnold's Pumpkinator and they got Flat Tire Amber Ale. It's my fault. I'm sorry." - Melania Trump

1 person likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Honestly, it this happened in the Democratic Convention you don't think Fox news and the talk show talking heads wouldn't be all over it?

While I do agree its a smallish thing, and there were and will be worst things at the GOP convention, this should still be a topic of discussion.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Re: Melania's speach

It's called sampling, all the kids are doing it. She was just waiting for someone to drop the beat from "under pressure"

1 person likes this.
  9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, like all the complete bat**** crazy speakers before and after her. The plagiarism was probably done on purpose to take focus away from that.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I sort of agree with you with the exception that Trump provides no insight on real issues it's all equivocations and bloviations, stance taking and backtracking.

Do you think building a wall around Mexico is a real issue? Making America Great again is a real issue? Deporting Muslims?

*because they are not, they are just rabble rousing nonsense

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another fun incident from last night...

"This 'old white people' business does get a little tired, Charlie," King said. "I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about, where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?"

"Than white people?" Hayes asked, clearly amazed.

"Than, than Western civilization itself," King replied. "It's rooted in Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the United States of America and every place where the footprint of Christianity settled the world. That's all of Western civilization."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-whites-made-contributions-to-civilization/

[/quote]

I feel bad for the thoughtful conservative posters who don't come around much anymore. Your party has been fully taken over by lunatics.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Aren't you worried about a campaign that not only is not ready for prime time, but hides its impotence behind dishonesty?

Imagine Trump doing this **** at the UN, coz he had a busy week and it's not his fault. :rolleyes:

13. NewRoxFan

I feel bad for the thoughtful conservative posters who don't come around much anymore. Your party has been fully taken over by lunatics.[/QUOTE]

When give the opportunity to say "my bad", King instead doubles down on the dumb...

[QUOTERep. Steve King clarified his controversial comments about “white people” doing more for civilization than any other "subgroup," explaining that he was actually referring to "Western civilization."

The Iowa Republican had said Monday afternoon on an MSNBC panel, "This whole white people business, though, does get a little tired. … I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you are talking about. Where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?"

He didn't back away from his comments in an interview with ABC News Monday night, but said he meant to refer to "Western civilization" as the "superior culture" when he said "the whole white peoples business" line.

George Stephanopoulos: What You Need to Know About RNC Day 1
    Republicans Prepare for the First Night of the RNC
    "It’s pretty close [to what I said]. What I really said was 'Western civilization' and when you describe Western civilization that can mean much of Western civilization happens to be Caucasians. But we should not apologize for our culture or our civilization," King told ABC News.

"The contributions that were made by Western civilization itself, and by Americans, by Americans of all races stand far above the rest of the world. The Western civilization and the American civilization are a superior culture."

King said he was responding to, and correcting, political blogger Charlie Pierce, who was also on the panel. King said that he wasn't particularly bothered by the media attention because it started a dialogue on the matter.

"But what we have is people who are trying to parse something, to hyperventilate about that," King told ABC News. "I’m OK if they do that because it starts the dialogue so we can open up more minds so people can think about what’s right for America."][/QUOTE]

Hopefully Trump will be asked his reaction to King's statement...

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

This ^^^^ is an example of perfectly valid criticism of her speech, and its import on the Trump campaign in general. I don't disagree with this. Clearly the speech, whoever wrote it, wasn't properly vetted.

I'm reminded of a convention I attended in college. Don't recall the topic, even, but clearly remember one pour soul who got up and began his speech...with the very same joke the prior speaker had given (about 2 friends in the woods, bear comes by, one puts his sneakers on.....). The audience laughed uproariously at each succeeding line, and he started getting flustered..it was a decent joke, but not THAT good. He finally realized what had happened. Even though it was the exact same joke, clearly he didn't know that, and it is a pretty common joke, so plagiarism wasn't the issue. Repeating what someone said previously still was, though. And, probably much like Melania's speech, that is all the people remember later. Which is why you want to avoid it.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Damn, the Clinton's are good. Sometimes you just have to pay respect. They've got people embedded so deep it's crazy. Trump is getting schooled by the pro's.

Trump=Amateur politician
    Clinton's=The Professional's

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

1. Agree with those that think this is a fairly minor issue. I don't even consider it surprising; this isn't a literary or communicative family, by all evidence.
    2. It's true that at my university, this paper would put a student on probation given the amount of identical text to previously published material. But giving a convention speech is not submitting a term paper.
    3. What I cannot, for the life of me, figure out, is WHY on earth some staff person did this, unless they are trying to submarine Trump. I mean, copy a Nancy Reagan speech (she was pretty good), a Lady Bird Johnson speech, anything but Michelle Obama.
    4. There is a non-trivial but small chance that the language isn't even original to Michelle. It's kind of bland and cliche, so maybe both got it from some other source.

17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yep. Which is why I consider myself a conservative, and not a Republican, these days.

A double bad on his part. First in using the term 'white people', and second in not grasping the many contributions to current society that didn't come from Western Civilization. He clearly is one of the many who has a very Wester Civ centric view of the world. The Chinese, for example, laugh at this. As one Chinese diplomat said, when asked about China's emergence as a world power, stated (paraphrasing here, don't recall the verbatim quote): "China was the world leader for 18 of the previous 20 centuries. I think we'll manage fine." The Middle East contributed much to our current thinking on science and math. The rest of the world kept progressing while Western Civilization was in the Dark Ages. Yes, recent world history has been dominated by the West, but that doesn't erase all world history prior to that.

Not a uniquely Western problem, though. The Middle East would do much better if the people there remembered that Baghdad and the Islamic world used to be the cultural and scientific mecca of the world. During those times, they were very open to other's viewpoints, and Islam thrived as scholars and artists from around the globe flocked to Baghdad. Societies grow and thrive as they become more enlightened, not by becoming more closed minded.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yeah it's a lot f***ing more important than submitting a term paper!

19. Anticope

Anticope Member

The mental gymnastics here are breathtaking. So you consider the phrase "values that you work hard for what you want in life, that your word is your bond and you do what you say" to be a commonly expressed sentiment that is spoken like that word for word by people all the time? Find me a speech where someone spoke that line word for word prior to Michelle Obama, it should be easy, it's such a commonly expressed sentiment as you say.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yes they would be all over it and it would piss me off just as bad. But thankfully I never watch fox.

Sure focus on that or his lack of policies and plans for real issues. Every time i think trump is running out of crap to campaign on the media gives him more of his type of ammo.

i already said she is not her husband and if he wins she's never going to give a speech of any consequence to any real important group. of course the other side has a candidate and husband who might even be more dishonest so we're facked either way.

No, I'm talking more specifics. The media (on our behalf) should be asking trump specifics about his policies. you know the **** that impacts us on a daily basis. for example, a few things that are important to and affect many folks everyday. minimum wage, supreme court(gay marriage/abortion), mar1juana legalization, illegal immigration/amnesty, college tuition reform, crumbling infrastructure, transportation, etc...

this type of crap allows the donald to avoid these real problems for real people. that pisses me off because all of us are affected everyday by these things. idgaf about a non-policy maker ripping off a speech. that crap doesn't affect my day to day, my way of life.