1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP Convention lol !

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think this is good advice, so I took it. I don't mind debating them...but it also serves no purpose. I had a nice long post written up pointing out that all the phrases in question are common phrases, and common phrases can't be plagiarized....but no it isn't a big deal, so I scrapped that. We'd be down to arguing nuances of something that wasn't important to begin with, and I really would prefer debating things of import. I had the same take, only that being so hell bent on insisting it was plagiarism was detracting from the message, as that is debatable, but that it is stupid and reflects poorly on the Trump campaign is not.

They'll all think they won...but they'd think that anyway, so no big deal there.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I see a little cognitive dissonance in celebrating the rule of law that acquitted Freddie Gray's killers and then lambasting it for failing to indict Hillary Clinton. It's about as defensible as praising prosecutorial discretion for not charging Clinton and then protesting the acquittals by a jury of peers. Neither are necessarily illogical, but they do seem driven by political expediency. For myself, I find both of them hard pills to swallow, but I'll take it because that's what our system of governance has produced. I'll take the good with the bad.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He surrendered! We won! :p

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We won a debate on the internet!! Let's party!

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

But he used a lot of words that have been written by other people...some of those words have been written on this very page...or this very post...oh ****...

7. Nook

Nook Member

This is absurd.... there are entire paragraphs that are exactly the same..... spliced into her speech. All the paragraphs are from the same speech given in 2008.

There is no real question that it is plagiarism. Did the speech writer do it? Did Mrs. Trump?

I don't know but claiming that it is "repeating common knowledge" is just not true.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

But were they the best words?

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Giuliani appeared more unhinged than ever, but at least he isn't shouting 9/11 over and over any more.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

This is what happens when you worship "job creators". The Republican Party deserves all of this.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Former Republican Congressman Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski of Morning Joe weigh in on the plagiarism of Melania Trump's speech and the Trump campaign's handling of controversies, or rather "crisis management." There's a great video if you go to the link. I can't seem to embed it. Pity! Mika calls for the firing of Trump's campaign manager and doesn't hold back! Perhaps someone could embed the thing? Blade Runner props coming your way to anyone who can. :)-

July 19, 2016, 09:20 am

Scarborough blasts Trump camp's 'crisis management'

“Guys, we’ve got a crisis management issue here again. Isn’t this about leadership?” Scarborough said Tuesday morning on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“When you make a mistake and it’s clear you make a mistake, you get it behind you as quickly as possible,” the former Florida Republican lawmaker added. “Now there’ve been problems with this before in the past with this campaign where they let things just bleed and bleed and bleed.”

Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort on Tuesday denied that the speech copied parts of Michelle Obama's 2008 convention address, saying that Melania Trump was merely using “common words.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...ough-blasts-trump-campaigns-crisis-management

#211 Deckard, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Funny, again, how many of us agree that Clinton shouldn't have kept a private server in her home. I think only one poster mentioned that they didn't have a problem with it, but the large majority of us admitted it was a goof, even if we didn't feel it warranted the outcomes preferred by the Repubs.

But yet again, it can't just be "OK, she/they obviously plagiarized. Unimportant in the grand scheme of things, time to focus on more important issues." I'd say there's not one among us who wouldn't agree with you. But trying to use BS logic about this somehow not being plagiarism b/c these phrases have been used before, when the arrangement of these independent and dependent clauses prove there is a one in a trillion chance they weren't plagiarized is just horse**** nonsense. It's the same thing with the Trump campaign- admit a speechwriter screwed up, and all is forgotten within days. But they keep peddling this BS that makes it worse b/c they really believe their audience out there is that stupid.[/B]

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We have a long history of police no bills and acquittals in the suspicious and disgusting killings of minorities by police. We have decades worth of complaints and even riots about police brutality in minority communities. There is much more depth and history to cases like Grays. It's not cognitive dissonance in the least. You've detached context and put these cases in a vacuum.

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Can't wait to see what the troll-job will be tonight!

15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Oh he was definitely over caffeinated, but it was a rally speech. I've never been to a national convention, I went to my first state convention this year. Those things are borrrring. People don't listen to most of those speeches. I think it was like 10:30 local time or something when he spoke, he had to wake their asses up for the main event, Michelle Obama...I mean Melania Trump. hehe:)

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

There seems to be a GOP reverse racism thing going on. If you're black or brown at the RNC they let you to the front of the line when the cameras are on. That is AWESOME! lol

17. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

<iframe src='http://player.theplatform.com/p/7wvmTC/MSNBCEmbeddedOffSite?guid=n_mj_manafort_160719' height='500' width='635' scrolling='no' border='no' ></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  18. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

LOL Trumptards keep taking L's.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">An unauthorised use at the Republican Convention against our wishes - Queen</p>&mdash; Queen (@QueenWillRock) <a href="https://twitter.com/QueenWillRock/status/755406469269450752">July 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Except we have the evidence of Hillary's action and lying about it for a year. We don't have evidence that those officers were guilty of violating the law. Not that they necessarily weren't, but the evidence provided to court was not sufficient to delivery a guilty verdict. We know for a fact Hillary violated the law.

Nevermind the deleted "personal emails" and the transparency laws violated. The HUGE deal, for me at least, is the treatment of classified material. Especially when you're now talking about entrusting her with even MORE classified information.

People from both sides of the aisle have raised an eyebrow about Hillary not being at the very least indicted or it taken to a Grand Jury.

While perplexed at the decision not to prosecute Hillary, for me it wasn't about her being punished by the Judicial System. Her actions would have gotten any other government employee disbarred from further federal employment. I'm personally okay with her not going to jail, but she doesn't deserve a pass in the court of public opinion.

Regarding the Freddie Gray case, I haven't done my research on that case. I know the basic facts. From what I heard the state attorney did an awful job. I don't know if they were acquitted because they were truly not guilty, because she didn't have the evidence, or because she f'ed it up. Each case is different.

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I literally was laughing as they played this song. I missed Trump's entrance, but I would have most certainly have been on the floor had I seen that live. I hate the arrogance of Trump.