1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP 2020?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dubious, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Could Dan Crenshaw upset Trump in a GOP primary season? He's got the cred, the demeanor and seems to be coming on the National scene like Obama in 2006.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If Mueller indicts a sitting President, then maybe.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Will he meet the age requirement? I think he will but just barely.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There has never been a president under 40.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Probably not; but depending on how things go and his legislative record he could be a candidate for 2024. Although if I recall we were saying the same stuff about Marco Rubio five or six years ago. Things change quickly in politics

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bobby Jindal was a rising star once upon a time.

Paul Ryan was too, though he could obviously re-emerge as a contender in 2024.

da_juice likes this.
  7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I honestly think Trump has 2020 in the bag. All he has to do is get his base fired up again. He obviously knows how to do that. Not like it's that hard to do....

Nook, B-Bob and da_juice like this.
  8. HTM

HTM Member

2020 is too soon I think.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think so too tbh. It would take a really incredible Democratic candidate and even then it be rough.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't know. It will be close again, and the electoral college makes it tough. If Trump wins in 2020 (totally possible), could be that split again: total popular vote to Dem candidate by several million, electoral college comfortably or narrowly to Two Scoops.

I do think, if they avoid a Warren candidacy, the Dems will have someone with better positives than HRC. Low bar.

EDIT: My fantasy would be someone decent and smart like Sasse primarying Two Scoops and then running against a legit Dem and having a real election with two non-insane candidates. Would be very refreshing.

da_juice and foh like this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Using 2016 as a guide for 2020 is like using 2012 as a guide for 2016.

If you think it's in the bag that Trump is going to replicate victories Trump eeked out in a heavily suburbanized states like Pennsylvania, maybe we should go out and get Carmelo!

The election was decided by maybe 100,000 total votes in 3 states.

IN national elections in those 3 states, the Democrats erased that margin and then some last week (and won in Arizona as well).

Deckard, Rashmon and B-Bob like this.
  12. Anticope

Anticope Member

I've seen a lot of people have this same sentiment but it's way too cynical IMO, might just be from people still having PTSD from the 2016 election. Trump won by some pretty razor thin margins in 2016 and his overall support has decreased, although not as much as it probably should have. Republicans just got wiped out in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, which were the three states that essentially gave him the presidency (by a total of about 80K votes). The electoral college makes it tough for him and, on top of that, states like Texas and Arizona seem to be moving further and further to the middle. Good chance he loses as long as the Democratic candidate isn't terrible and people show up like they did for the mid-terms.

Rashmon and JayGoogle like this.
  13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

2016: There has never been a president best known for being a game show host.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

As long as Trump avoids impeachment, I think he is the Republican candidate in 2020.

The election is going to be close again and Trump have a good chance of winning as the incumbent and with a strong economy.

Having said that, that wall he built in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin and Michigan is far from a certainty. That doesn't include Florida and Arizona.

The Democrats have a real chance to break through Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan. Ohio and Florida are likely toss ups and Indiana and Iowa are becoming more aggressively conservative.

I think that someone like Chris Coons could likely beat Trump because he is conservative enough to carry the rust best and Midwest and won't lose any of the Northern state.

To get to 270 the Democrats will need to carry Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. They win those states and they win the election.

15. Air Langhi

I would say it's unlikely there is a good economy going into 2020.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Time will tell.

I should be more clear, most of the research shows that if voters are optimistic about the future economy, the incumbent wins.

If the economy is sluggish or poor, Trump will lose relatively badly......... likely losing AZ, OH, MICH, FL, WIS, PENN and possibly even a surprise state in the South.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I sincerely hope you're right. I definitely have PTSD from 2016...

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm interested in if anyone primaries Trump and then runs as an independent on principle alone.

There are a lot of Republicans that are ashamed of Trump representing their party, the best way to rebuild their party is to fight against Trump.

People like Kasich I think could have a pretty big impact on the election, and while he wouldn't win running as an independent, the point being made would be pretty clear. It would lose Trump the election and hopefully purge Trumpism from their party.

Kasich is certainly up to something. Released a book last year...was just in New Hampshire...and has been vague about running...

da_juice likes this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

My fantasy would be

both Fredo and Jared will serving time
    trump's subpoena tax returns details his financial ties w the ruskies
    Trump will be order to sell off his interest in the Int'l Hotel DC,​
    will not be impeached, but will pull a LBJ

in mid-1968, the sitting POTUS LBJ announced that he will not run nor
    will he accept his party's nomination for the office POTUS​

#19 adoo, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    B-Bob likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

He is getting the republican agenda accomplished. He is going to have 2 maybe 3 judges on SC. He got a huge tax cut for the rich.

da_juice likes this.