1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Google Tablet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YaosDirtyStache, Apr 13, 2010.

1. YaosDirtyStache

http://androidedge.com/report-google-tablet-on-the-way-154

I think this is an AWESOME thing to happen. I really dislike Apple and their approach to business...I feel their methods are so unethical in nature, by that I mean the way they create this niche market of MUST HAVES that feature stripped down models so they can increase re-buys when "improvements" are made.

Googles Android platform is already amazing and when coupled with open development and FLASH we can see the new leader of the industry coming to form. Apple had its head start but their hubris will be their downfall.

Bring it on Google, I will buy your Tablet.

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I'll chime in with additional Apple hate from a developer perspective. Typically for applications, there is a generic framework that can be used cross-platform. The best example would be Xbox/PlayStation. Sure, the systems are wholly different, but many tools used for developing a game on Xbox can also be used in developing a game for the PS3. This makes it significantly easier for companies to have multi-platform releases for consoles.

Now compare that to the iPhone OS and Android. Google doesn't care what tools you use to develop on Android; you use whatever's easiest. Apple has specific rules in its developer TOS that forces developers to use Apple API's as their foundation. This means there can be no generic cross-platform tool. In other words, if you make an app for the Android, you'll have to completely rewrite it for the iPhone and vice versa.

Developers hate this. Apple's claim that it increases quality is bogus. Crappy developers make crappy applications, no matter what the framework is.

Flash isn't really that big of an appeal to me as I don't really like Adobe much either. Still, it's stupid not to support some a widespread technology, especially for hardware that's supposed to streamline the Internet. Apple just has an axe to grind with Adobe and they're grinding it at the detriment of their customers. Of course, those who view Apple as some amazing innovator see them with rose-colored glasses and don't realize that Apple is pushing agendas that damage their experience.

Apple reached their niche, but they're repeating the same mistakes they did in the 90's that caused them to fall way behind Microsoft. Why repeat these mistakes? Steve Jobs.

An Android tablet will have to have some neat features that differentiate it from the Nexus One (which I have) if I am to buy it. A bigger screen and a webcam isn't enough.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It better be an android tablet instead of a chrome tablet. We're not ready for the cloud yet.

I still think Apple has a better grasp on what this "niche market" would want. People don't need a tablet, so just bringing out a laptop in touch form isn't going to make bank.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The more you make things built to last, the less people buy. The more you make yourself irrelevant.

Its unethical for a termite exterminator to want MORE termites. But if it helps their bottom line, bring on the bugs? lol

5. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

doomsday is eminent...... i can vividly see it now

APPLE VS GOOGLE

the victor claims destruction of earth

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't expect the first few Android tablets to be that good, but eventually they will catch up or be close enough to give Apple a challenge. Maybe this time next year the prices for all tablets will fall a couple hundred dollars and I'll get one.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

But you completely ignore the fact that Apple is the one creating the market. You think Apple's ethics are questionable? They turn niche market after niche market into larger, more profitable ones and what happens inevitable - and these days quicker and by more companies - others come in and capitalize on their creation. You'd be pissed if that happened to you personally.

Moreover, despite their design flaws, Apple still seems to lead in most of these markets, so they must be doing something right.

I buy things that work. All I know is our Apple notebook simply works, whereas we've had HP, Toshiba, Sony, Dell's that all ultimately are more cumbersome, more difficult and need to be replaced much sooner. The iphone - simple, easy to use, works.

Granted, I'm not a huge techie, but on the other hand I know my way around fine enough as a young male. I'm not an Apple fanboy or anything. I did not get an ipad, and probably won't for a while at least - because I wish they were a little more robust, while still just working (as Apple products do)...which as you note will probably happen in a later version.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Will it have a robot arm that will massage my, uh, leg when I'm stressed? Now THAT would be an android I would buy.

10. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Not a Google tablet, but a tablet running Android that is hopefully a taste of things to come:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XTgXQ7ch6RY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XTgXQ7ch6RY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pFQWc79TYcU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pFQWc79TYcU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Microsoft Courier

[​IMG]

#11 Luckyazn, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  12. Luckyazn

[​IMG]

The leaked specs also show the HP Slate will be powered by a 1.6-GHz Intel Atom processor with 1GB of DDR2 RAM memory (non-user upgradable).

The HP Slate will run on a HP touch-optimized UI, based on Windows 7 Home Premium

13. VanityHalfBlack

When is all this non Ipad tablet killers coming out?? I need one now!!!

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What is the expected battery life of this?

15. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

All these tablets before they even find out if there's a genuine market for this product. I know Apple sold a ton of iPads in the first week, but that doesn't mean people will A.) continue using them or B.) continue buying them.

And until they can get the price point down to where it's less than buying an actual laptop, I'm not pulling the trigger on any of these.

16. Luckyazn

[​IMG]

1.6GHz Atom Z530, 5 hour battery

1 USB 2.0 (which Ipad doesnt have)

Webcam

Windows 7 vs Iphone OS 3.2

17. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I like Google. I think Android is a good platform. I prefer iPhone OS.
    My phone is a Nokia 3588i.

All of you arguing about hating Apple or Google are ridiculous. Both of them are massive corporations looking to make money. The fact that I happen to be employed by one of them does not sway my perspective.

People ascribe magnanimous, godlike qualities to both companies. Fanboys, let me spell things out for you:

Apple makes good, functional products.
    Google makes good, functional products.

You all sound like you're arguing about SNES/Genesis. Grow up.

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Talk about a high-level, blissfully oblivious view.

Yeah, I guess describing how Apple's TOS for developers is restrictive to platform growth and developer support is like arguing about SNES/Genesis. My bad.

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Since google already owns me I'll go ahead and buy one. :(

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Courier looks pretty cool.