1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Google: A new approach to China

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jan 12, 2010.

1. MFW

MFW Member

So in other words... the next time you actually prove a "Communist authoritarian regime" and the illegitimate activities it allegedly carried out will be the first?

No surprise there...

Except you've gotta be better than sure Sammy. Interesting thing that just happened to me actually. Somebody hacked into my Yahoo! account and sent an url of:

http://sites.google.com/site/enmizhikah/hbt1pbbfh0

to (as far as I know) just about everybody in my contact list. My contacts have reported that they can't open the link and quite frankly neither can I, so I don't really know what it was supposed to link.

If I take your slippery slopes, should I then conclude that it is somebody from Google or (if you believe in conspiracy theories) MS or the governments of any number of countries I've lived in in the past?

Nope, I assume nothing of the sort. I just acknowledge that I don't know who did it.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

In other words, that Chinese espionage is running rampant is a commonly held opinion by governments throughout the world. That you would somehow believe we on a message board could piece together the lengths to which the Chinese government conducts espionage like we're discussing an algebra equation is laughable. There's a reason it's called espionage and there's a reason a Communist government's espionage is even more espionagery. Yes I made that word up. Furthermore, despite your love and admiration for Communist and authoritarian efficiency you seem to enjoy pretending that such a regime should receive the same benefit of reasonable doubt or that people shouldn't hold them to any higher level of suspicion than in Democratic nations where there is a far greater degree of transparency. Unfortunately for you, that's a bunch of hooha. Communists are that for particular reasons and none of them are real winners for transparency, truth, and justice. So anyway, continue to be Elmer Fudd looking for Bugs Bunny if you must entertain yourself but nobody is really listening anymore.

3. MFW

MFW Member

So in other words, it is your opinion that it isn't a commonly held opinion by governments throughout the world that the US or any random insert your democracy country isn't running rampant; and that of course the CIA among no fewer than several hundred organizations in the US alone are just figments of my imagination?

What a laughable position. I got news for ya buddy, espionage all over the world is full of cloaks and daggers. There's no transparency, truth and justice there... PERIOD. Heck, through the USS Liberty incident, the US has shown that it is willing to let its own citizens take it on the chin to further its geopolitical goals. You and your moronic insinuation that China is the lone scum capable and willing (if they are indeed involved) is nothing short of pure comedy.

But that doesn't matter. I didn't expect that empty sack you call head to actually cobble up any evidence. What I find highly amusing really is your mental jerk-off about the evil Commies and how you've tried to find "evidence" to your initial moronic belief for so long that you've actually managed to convinced yourself that your initial moronic belief is in fact the truth. And then of course whenever a rumour, an anti-China op-ed, a post from someone with a chip on the shoulder comes along, you rush to embrace it because it "justifies" those beliefs, for surely China has a long "history" of such activities.

What a joke.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This is difficult to believe, but the government is clearly capable of anything. From Associated Press:

Tibetan monks ordered to leave China's quake zone

By ALEXA OLESEN (AP) – 2 hours ago

BEIJING — Earthquake survivors say the Tibetan monks helped first, bringing food, pitching tents and digging through rubble after disaster hit far western China a week ago, killing and injuring thousands.

Now the Buddhist monks who responded first are being pushed out of the disaster area and off of state media — apparently sidelined by Beijing's unease with their heroism and influence.

Monasteries were given verbal orders this week to recall their monks. Amid hours of coverage for China's national day of mourning on Wednesday, no monks were visible in the official proceedings.

It was a jarring omission in light of their contributions to the weeklong rescue and relief effort following the quake, which killed 2,064 people and injured more than 12,000 others.

Tsebtrim, an ethnic Tibetan who works as a translator in Yushu, the county in Qinghai province hit hardest by the April 14 quake, was among thousands left homeless. He recalls heading to the horse racing grounds shortly after the earthquake with hundreds of others who heard it would be a safe place if the local dam broke.

"There were these monks from Sichuan's Ganzi who had put up all these tents, 100 tents, in just a couple of hours and they provided drinks and food," said Tsebtrim, 31, who like many Tibetans has one name. "That night, a lot of people didn't have a place to stay so I am really glad those monks showed up."

In the days that followed, Tsebtrim saw monks digging through rubble for survivors or bodies, first alone and then with Chinese soldiers. He also saw them handing out food and medicine.

"It really impressed me a lot," he said during an interview from Yushu, where he is helping run an aid station.

Chinese military officials said this week nearly all the roughly 12,000 soldiers who rushed to the quake area struggled with altitude sickness and many had trouble communicating with Tibetan survivors. Tibetan-speaking monks, many of whom live in high-altitude areas or frequently make pilgrimages to them, didn't have those problems.

They flooded into Yushu within hours, on motorbikes and packed in the back of trucks.

On Saturday, they held a cremation ceremony, preparing hundreds of bodies, praying and burning the corpses in a massive trench outside of Yushu.

Yet state-run broadcasters have given scant attention to their efforts, spotlighting instead the hard work of the military and the People's Armed Police as they delivered tents, water and food, and lifted injured people from cracks of crumbled buildings.

Monks also live in the quake zone, though they were not shown in media coverage Wednesday.

Robbie Barnett, director of the modern Tibetan studies program at Columbia University, said the monks' contributions pose a dilemma for the communist leadership, which distrusts the Buddhist clergy because of their loyalty to the Dalai Lama.

Beijing insists the Dalai Lama is fighting for independence for Tibet, which the exiled spiritual leader denies.

Monasteries are tightly control by Communist Party authorities who routinely order political re-education campaigns for the monks. The tensions have occasionally erupted in violence.

"China has never faced this situation before, where the monks it has demonized for 15 years as potential enemies of the state turn out to be energetic contributors to social construction and community-building — the same role that the party has always claimed for itself," Barnett said in an e-mail.

"Perhaps that's why the work of the monks has been featured very little, if at all," on China Central Television, he said.

On Wednesday, a monk and a Tibetan activist in touch with people in the quake zone said monks from Ganzi in Sichuan and other surrounding areas had also been ordered to leave the earthquake zone.

Yixi Luoren, the head of Ganzi's Gengqing Monastery, said 150 of their monks went to Yushu but 120 had left by Wednesday on orders from the Religious Affairs Bureau and the Communist Party United Front department in Ganzi prefecture, where the monastery is located.

A rugged, deeply Buddhist region filled with monasteries and nunneries, Ganzi is known for its strong Tibetan identity and has been at the center of dissent for years.

"They told us to do so on the phone," Yixi Luoren said. "The authorities didn't tell us the reason, but we assume they might have worried that there are too many people there and wanted us to come home safely."

Radio Free Asia on Wednesday quoted a Tibetan man in Yushu as saying monks held a candlelight vigil on April 19 that officials feared might take on political significance. The report said the man had asked not to be identified by name.

Woeser, a Beijing-based Tibetan poet and activist, said Han and Tibetan acquaintances in the quake zone told her similar orders were given to monks from several other monasteries. She said the monks were upset and not willing to go but had no choice.

"A clear reason for the order wasn't given but it was very strict," said Woeser, who also uses just one name. "Local officials told them through translators in Tibetan 'You've done everything already. You've done too much. You have to leave Yushu now, otherwise there will be trouble.'"

Woeser said local Tibetans were frustrated because they believe the monks are still needed to help dig out the dead and perform funeral rites.

"There is an opportunity here for the state finally to recognize the immense cultural resources that the monks can offer," said Barnett, the Columbia University professor. "But it will take great cultural sensitivity and compromise on both sides for that to be achieved."

Associated Press researcher Yu Bing in Beijing contributed to this report.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gdspdDB0WaMv_An4A-NvHB_DwmCwD9F7Q3600

5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

A NEW 'new approach' to China?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10444936.stm

6. lw449876

lw449876 Member

Ha

Even shorter than what I predicted. :eek:

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Well, it's less than two hours to go before google's annual Internet Content Provider license in China is set to expire. It'd be interesting to see if China suspends google a little while, sort of like give fattie fat basturd a timeout on cf.net.

8. YaodaMing

YaodaMing Member

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I'm surprised nobody has posted the news yet. Engadget had the scoop a few days ago but now MSM is picking it up:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9a0eabc2-0016-11e0-ad1d-00144feab49a.html

I'm wondering what the next move will be. I assume the accused will deny involvement. One the wikileaks documents go mainstream there will be plenty of news.

10. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

^^^ Let our hackers do the same to China and call it even.

11. Nolen

In case the Financial Times link doesn't work, here's BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11920616

12. Nolen

Out of curiosity, if we wanted to steal valuable IP from top Chinese companies, which companies would it be?

13. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

Apple

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am surprised there is not more outrage over this.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Our sackless president would probably go over there, bow to several leaders, and apologize for something America did 50 years ago.

16. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

He probably has an apology for the Chinese Exclusion Act already loaded into his teleprompter.

17. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. Nolen

Bumping for MFW.