1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Goodbye Luis Scola?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 18, 2010.

1. accougar

accougar Member

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Nope, Les will pay the LT for a championship contender UNLESS a certain fellow playing in Toronto comes down here in a sign and trade.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

they will dump Jeffries and/or Andersen...or make a more legit trade involving Battier. Whether that occurs in the summer or as the deadline approaches will depend on the market and on draft-day deals and all.

But I think they'll get under the LT with those assets available to them

4. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Yeah let's get Durant he's a FA next season :grin:

On a more serious note how bout our core guys, they're great to build championship around -(although Landry's departure left a void in it)

We should definitely do a S&T for Bosh/Stoudemire
    Scola,Battier, Jeffries, NY Draft picks, Chase for Bosh/STAT?

Although we lose in not having Battier and Scola but both guys are aging

We'd look like this:

Brooks/Lowry( whom I hope is resigned)
    Martin/(draftee)
    Ariza/(Draftee)
    Bosh (preferably STAT)/Chuck Hayes/Jordan Hill
    Yao/David Andersen

5. thumps

thumps Contributing Member

Hasn't the Rocket's strategy, at least during some years, been to enter a season over the Luxury tax? typically we get under the luxury tax during the season by trades. I'm guessing that even if we enter the season over the luxury tax, if we don't do well or it looks like there is no reason to spend money, we will get under it by the deadline.

I don't think exiting the offseason while being over the luxury tax is that much a concern.

As you mentioned, something may have to happen during the season, but I think DM's shown it's easier to make those deals during the season.

6. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

no way Scola is let go. I reakon Batman will be traded before he is. Got to keep a balance of vets in the team.

7. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Worst case scenario is that we have to pay Luxury Tax for one year, once jeffries expires the rockets should be in pretty good salary shape.

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I'm sure everybody agree on keeping Scola as our main priority in the offseason! Love the blue collar that he brings to the team!

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is what I posted in a seperate thread. For those that are confused, it isn't about can we resign Scola or Lowry, because they certainly can. It's about will they, given the luxury tax implications. I think the difference between my number and the OP's is I do NOT assume Hayes team option is picked up. I understand his value, and he is probably fairly paid, but it's hard to image him being a necessity on a championship caliber team.

Players Currently on the Team That Stay
    Yao = $17,686,100
    Shane = $7,354,500
    Trevor = $6,322,320
    Andersen = $2,500,000
    Brooks = $2,016,691
    Taylor = $810,000
    Budinger = $783,000

New Players that will Still be on the Books
    Martin = $11,100,005
    Jordan Hill = $2,669,520

New Players with Player Option
    Jeffries = $6,883,400 (of course he will exercise)

All other players are free agents - Kenny Thomas will not be resigned. Hilton Armstrong may or may not be resigned. Kyle Lowry - hopeful, but at what price. Luis Scola - hopeful, but at what price. Chuck Hayes could be on the team, with a team option, at a price of $2,301,250

So, your base salary already for next year is:

$58,125,536

To that add about $1.8 million for a draft pick around 14, and it becomes:

$59,925,536

Luxury tax level this year is $69.92 million, down about $1.23 million from last year. Let's just assume it goes down next year to $67.5 million (a little over $2 million drop).

That leaves you $7.5 million to spend on (1) Scola, (2) Lowry, (3) Chuck Hayes option, (4) MLE, and (5) 2nd round or other draft picks potentially acquired. So basically not enough. You probably can't resign both Scola and Lowry. One would have to assume Scola is worth MLE type money ($5.5+ to start) and Lowry is worth around $3 million to start). That's $8.5.

That said, maybe the luxury tax is a little higher, or they go over the luxury tax but make moves at the trade deadline to squeeze under again, or make some creative moves in the offseason. Still, unless I'm missing something, I think it is difficult and probably impossible to envision resigning Scola and Lowry AND signing an MLE type free agent without freeing up some cap room otherwise.

That's my analysis. I'm sure it's wrong!

Assuming some way is found and Scola and Lowry are resigned, but Chuck isn't picked up, the roster becomes:

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Budinger/Taylor
    Ariza/Battier/Jeffries
    Scola/Hill
    Yao/Andersen
    Plus #14 Draft Pick

You probably still need some more firepower off the bench, especially in the frontcourt. Fingers crossed that Hill is better than anticipated, Andersen continues to improve or Morey really is a draft genius and can get a real contributor with a mid teens pick.

10. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

I think they will see if Hill is ready.
    If Hill is ready, they will not re-sign Scola.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

The good thing is that Lowry will be a restricted FA so they can let the market determine his value which probably will be $4M+ per year (something similar to what Sessions got). With the addition of Martin, they can trade Ariza or Battier for cap relief in the offseason.

Morey knows what he is doing.

12. joesr

joesr Member

Draft Cousins!

13. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Didn't Hollinger just write up that the Rockets would be able to re-sign both Lowry and Scola without going into Luxury Tax territory. It's in one of the threads floating around.

14. conquistador#11

Amigo,
    I was hoping the title to read something like, " Don't cry for me Houston".

Anyhoo..No way the rockets let him walk. To add to the fire, Daryl will go after Scola's best friend, tiago.

15. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Scola's not going anywhere. We'll have Battier (who can get a return) and Jeffries (who is just an expiring contract at this point) to deal next season if we need to slip under the LT. Not only that, but we'll have an MLE to use which we can utilize on Scola (though he might cost more) and Lowry (though he might cost less).

We are re-signing Scola/Lowry. Period.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with the overall premise...resign and then make some moves to slip under the cap. Just note, that using the MLE has nothing to do with it. They will be able to resign both players regardless. It's not how they do it...but if they do it.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

JayZ750, I can't think of any reason why they'd want to use the MLE to sign a free agent. Look at our positional depth:

Brooks/Lowry/Llull (if bought out)
    Martin/Budinger/Taylor
    Ariza/Battier/Taylor
    Scola/Hill/Hayes/Jeffries
    Yao/Andersen/Hayes/Jeffries

We are at least three deep at every position--more once you count our first and second round draft picks! And with quality players or high-potential rookies, too, not scrubs.

I think you focus exclusively on bringing Scola and Lowry back and signing our picks. If you have to trade someone, so be it, but we won't have to dip that deep into the LT to field the entire team listed above.