1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Video Games for Pre Teens and Young Teenagers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

My mother is a volunteer coordinator for Texas Children's Hospital and is in charge of the budget for the pre-teen room down there. She's got some leftover money in the budget and was going to buy some video games for the room. They have a Wii, PS3, and 360. I know the Guitar Hero games are quite popular in that room, but I thought I'd hit up the rest of the board for some appropriate games for that age group. Obviously M games are out of the question, but probably also T games that feature gore, violence, and guns.

I play games rarely. Hell I don't even have a TV now, and I certainly am not up on buying games for the 10-14 age group. I don't think Red Dead Redemption or Demon's Souls would fly.

Unfortunately, she (and I damnit!) just missed the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale at Toys R Us, but she's hoping to pickup 10-12 games.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you parents, young gamers, or game savvier users can provide.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wii:
    boom blox
    elebits

3. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Perhaps you can make it a Violent Saturday night, so every Saturday you let them play violent video games.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

LEGO games for the win. My son has been playing them since he just turned two. Not only are they fun, they're cheap; if you shop around you can get them for under $20 each.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I loved Final Fantasy & Zelda at that age, but both would be poor selections since they are time consuming games best played on your own personal system.

I assume Halo is out of the question, though they would love it.

I'd try:

New Super Mario Bros Wii
    Super Mario Kart for Wii
    Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
    Wii Fit(This kind of depends on their health)
    Lego Game Series
    Sports games(Madden, 2K sports, NCAA, FIFA World Cup)

6. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

Mario party 8

7. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Call of Duty. My 5 year old nephew plays it and loves it. Im sure older kids might enjoy it too. He averages 1.2 kills per game.

8. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Thanks for some great ideas.

I think Halo and Call of Duty are out. There are a number of kids under the age of 12 in that room, and I think there's kind of a "No Guns and Shooting" policy there. I might be ok with my kid playing some of those, but they have to accomodate a pretty diverse group of people and varying ranges of maturity.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I second any of the Lego games, like Lego Star Wars or Lego Indiana Jones.

Sports games would be OK as well, like Madden or NBA 2k.

10. juicystream

My 3 year old likes to play Halo. I don't let him actually let him play, but I do let him hold a controller and press buttons or let him point out the bad guys. He probably shouldn't even be watching me play though.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

For the Wii, pretty much any Mario game including Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Party. None of the came out recently, so they will likely be reasonably priced and still fun. Kirby's Epic Yarn just came out and got good reviews, ign actually said it was the perfect game for the audience you mentioned. Wii Sports Resort is also great, it has everything from Wii Sports plus more. (Wii probably has the best games for the younger audience).

For Xbox, Kung Fu Panda came with my last xbox and is actually a decent throw in game. You can probably pick it up for about 10 bucks now. NBA 2k is an easy sports game for kids to play as well. Kids would probably enjoy Madden as well (Fifa is a little more difficult to figure out, so I would not go for that). Arcade games on xbox are also pretty fun, lots of kid friendly options there (These are smaller, simpler a cheaper games available on the xbox itself, downloaded right onto the xbox).

I havn't bought a title for PS3 in a long time, so I don't know about that.

Also, DO NOT buy Lego games, they suck, I don't know why people recommend them

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Little Big Planet and LEGO games.

13. liljojo

liljojo Member

Wii games are probably you best bet since it has a lot of multiplayer/part games and is catered to that demographic.

Notables not already mentioned:
    Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
    Rayman Ravin' Rabids 1,2,&3
    Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort
    Super Smash Bros. (Brawl is the Wii version)
    Super Monkey Ball? (I'm not sure if there's a Wii version of this)

And I agree with the earlier poster recommending Zelda: Twilight Princess. Easily in my top 5 of next-gen games, including the 360 and ps3. It's not really conducive to community gaming, but it's fun nonetheless.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I think Wii might be a bad idea in a Children's Hospital. Lots of these kids are too weak to walk.

15. juicystream

I have been waiting for that game to come down in price for years now, but it is still near full price everywhere. Hoping the release of Skyward Sword will eventually lead to a Twilight Princess price drop.

16. juicystream

Thats why I said Wii Fit depends on their health. Most of the other Wii games involve a need to stand up. Most people just choose to.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Just about anything that is cheap enough in the fact that it doesn't require anything extra to play it will be good. For example: not "Guitar Hero"... where you need instruments. I don't know if you could play it without guitars or drums or microphones, though.

What about the SINGSTAR series? Karaoke-style games are good... If you already have the microphone... or maybe the dancing one for the wii? :cool:

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Call of Duty
    Grand Theft Auto

Sorry, but when I was a young teenager, I would be playing these types of games, not gay party games.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Opening post has the rating of the games he would like. :eek: Please read it again.

20. liljojo

liljojo Member

If you're in a public setting, providing entertainment for kids from all backgrounds, you don't really have a choice.