1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good News on Trade Front

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 2, 2010.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you are thinking of pre-injury brand. that deal would kill us. we would have zero flexibility and another injury prone albatross that doesn't produce better than what we have. luis scola and landry are both better than brand at this point.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i agree they wont take on brand or dalembert, but i dont think they necessarily mean talent in plural form. I think they either want one established young talent (like iggy) or more than one young talents with potential, so i think they'd be fine with iggy and some smaller contracts regardless of the player or players' ages.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It's the same - how? A trade does not mean a guy is being pushed out unless he's 'the man' as Iggy is supposed to be in Philly.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Both Rockets power forwards, Scola and Landry are objectively better players right now and moving forward. Elton Brand has three and a half years to go on an $83 million dollar contract and has had two season ending injuries. He is averaging 13 points, seven rebounds on a crappy 76'ers team in a toilet conference. There is no way in hell you take on Elton Brand for free. Giving up Carl Landry in order to get Andre and take on Brand is, frankly, a really dumb idea. Sorry.

1 person likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree. I actually think (no offense) that leeb would be the worst imaginable GM out of all the regular posters here, which is strange considering that he was apparently one of the better basketball players of all the posters.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

how is brand efficient? landry is much much more efficient than brand. it's not even close.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

You really dont want no part of Brand and that deal of his. Same with Dalembert. As much as we may like Iguodala, we may have to look elsewhere.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Because Iggy isn't at the same level as the bigger untouchable names like Lebron, kobe, TD, and Yao, among others... Those guys each have certain qualities that are nearly impossible to replace. Iggy may technically be Philly's franchise guy, but he's not the ideal definition of a franchise player.

Iggy isn't untouchable. If you're untouchable and get traded, then yes you're being pushed out for a certain reason, something went wrong somewhere. But if you're tradeable, like iggy is, and get traded, then it's not a push out.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i wonder if the rox would do a tmac/cook/taylor for iggy/kapono/green/speights deal. philly doesn't get rid of sammy, but they do get rid of almost the same amount of salary.

10. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

A talent like Iguodala is the best that you can get for McGrady

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't know why you're piling on leebigez when he was basically agreeing with you that an Iguodala/Dalembert package for T-Mac was in the best interests of the Rockets.

And you STILL haven't responded to my retort to your slap in the face at me.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5000873&postcount=23

While I personally wouldn't give away Iguodala for nothing, there is SOMETHING that Philly would get out of trading him (even without being able to also dump Dalembert or Brand). If they do nothing, Philly has 10 players under contract for next season for a combined $65.3M. That's right about where the luxury tax threshold is expected to be, if not lower than that. Assuming that the Sixers get a high lottery pick, that will be a few extra million in salary right there. Also, they will need to add another 2-3 players at least, each with additional salary. All in all, the Sixers can expect to have a sub-par team next season AND be paying a bunch of luxury tax. Hell, even if they get John Wall (in which case they would have gotten the #1 pick and will be paying even MORE in luxury tax), they're not going to be very good in Wall's rookie year anyway.

On the other hand, if the Sixers and Rockets can somehow find a third team to take on additional contracts from Philly in exchange for an expiring contract or two to head to the Rockets, then maybe Philly sheds a ton of salary off the payroll and either gets some cap room to use this summer or is sufficiently below the luxury tax threshold to offer someone the MLE. Then, Dalembert/Kapono/Green (whichever of them aren't traded in the Iguodala trade) all come off the books in 2011, and Philly can continue to build their team that way.

Bottom line: Sure, Andre Iguodala is a talented player. But his contract is likely to put the Sixers well into the luxury tax next season. If his bloated contract is the ONLY deal that any other team is willing to take on in exchange for expiring contracts, then Philly needs to think long and hard about parting ways with him, even if they're still stuck with Brand and Dalembert.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How? Would you trade Landry for Iggy straight up? Hell yeah you would, as would every other team except Philly. Nuts. Well, how do we get Iggy for Landry then? Oh that's right, we use Tmac's contract to take on one of their bad contracts.

I will go on record in favor of Iggy/Brand (I'd prefer Dalembert) for Tmac/Landry swap. Here's why:

Assuming we let McGrady expire, we'll have roughly around ~8million in cap space this summer. Then you still have to re-sign Scola and Lowry (or pay money for a backup PG, at the least, assuming Chuck slides to backup PF if you let Scola walk).

In other words, we don't have enough money to land an impact player. Iggy is that impact player. Is he Wade, LeBron, Bosh? No, but he's as close as you'll get to that next tier. He's better than Kevin Martin, I'd take him over Caron (age, athleticism, defense) -- who else is really out there?

Brand has a terrible contract and that would suck, but we're not exactly re-building here. IMO, Brand would be a pretty damn good backup 4, but I do have questions if he'd accept that role. I still think he can play, he's just gone Juwan Howard in this board's eyes (huge contract not worth production) -- but that doesn't mean he can't help you on the court. And I think that getting Iggy would be worth it -- our system was MADE for a player like Iggy - athletic as hell, great defender, deadly in transition offense, can hit the open shot or create (end of game situations).

If I'm Morey and there's a chance at Iggy, I'm going after him as hard as I can. I'd prefer Dalembert/Iggy because SD's contract ends sooner and he's a good backup 5, but if push came to shove, I'm making sure I'm walking out with Iggy even if it cost me a Brand-Landry swap.

It's not a dumb idea whatsoever; you may disagree with it, but it would 100% make the Rockets a better team and it's a deal I hope DM at least looks long and hard on.

(BTW - What's with these posters thinking an Iggy acquisition moves Ariza to the bench? Sorry to burst your bubble, but Shane is the first one kicked out of the starting 5.)

Brooks/Lowry
    Iggy/Budinger
    Ariza/Battier
    Brand/Landry/Chuck
    Yao/Andersen/Chuck

That's a team that can win a championship, and in the end, that's what it's all about.

13. roc1951

roc1951 Member
    Supporting Member

This thread on the trade rumors involving McGrady is very interesting. I have just caught up by reading almost every post. But I have a couple of questions.
    I ask in advance to be forgiven for my lack of knowledge on the financial workings of an NBA franchise.

1. What would be the benefit to the organization if they simply let McGrady’s contract expire? Why do the Rockets only get the benefit of 8 million?

2. Have the Rockets decided not to participate in the 2010 Free Agent Sweepstakes? Is that why the media is only talking about trades?

14. BMoney

What part of Brand has the worst contract besides Gilbert Arenas and is an aging, declining player don't you get? Landry is not untradeable, but the Rockets have leverage because they still have relative cap flexibility. Adding Brand and Andre takes that away. No thank you.

15. herro

herro Member

involving Landry is nonsense

16. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

This cap flexibility you speak up is not going to help. Lets say we dont trade tracy and his contract expires

well get approx. 8 million in cap space.

Scola will eat that up with his contract...and plus 8 million is not going to cut it with teams having over 15 million in cap space. The Rockets need to improve (get an allstar) via this trade and add a significant role player through free agency

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont know a lot about it myself, so im giving you a very basic answer......

1. I think the only benefit is they won't take on any bad contracts that may come if they made a trade during the season. I believe the cap is slower so that plays a part as to why it's only 8

2. houston won't have a lot of space this summer to afford a big name player, perhaps they can still sign a smaller name, but to get a star to replace tmac they pretty much have to do through a trade since a trade allows a similar salary to fit under the salary cap....

18. BMoney

No, you confuse having loads of cap space and cap flexibility. If the Rockets trade Landry and McGrady to get Brand and Andre the team would be hamstrung with effectively three max contracts with Yao. If anything happened to Brand, or Yao (likely) the team would not have the cap flexibility to get anything of value. They also wouldn't have many pieces with which they could make a trade since they would likely have to renounce Scola and Lowry. If the McGrady/Yao/Francis experience has taught us anything, you can't pay max dollars to players who aren't max dollar producers. Look, *none* of those guys are likely to play at an All-NBA level, or even near it, with Yao having his foot reconstructed and Brand getting older and less athletic. For Christ's sake, Brand and Andre play together and the 76'ers have completely sucked. Doesn't this tell you something?

19. herro

herro Member

Brand is no-go no matter what. Daryl Morey is our GM.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

How frustrating.