1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good News on Trade Front

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 2, 2010.

1. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I am sorry, but I don't get your point at all.

I don't think they are stupid; I expect that their idea as to what he can get is based on such information. I don't see where you are coming from here.

2. pbthunder

Let me try again: Dalembert and his agent have some range of salaries that they expect he could get, were he an FA. I'm saying, we could buy him out for some number in between their estimates and the $12.2 million I understand he is scheduled to get. Thus, we would save cap space.

From their POV, our offer, plus what they think they can get as an FA, can be more than the $12.2 million, and both sides can benefit from a buy-out.

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Do you think Front Offices around the NBA are currently doing things similar to what you have done in this thread or more like <i>aelliott, NIKEstrad, BimaThug, Carl Herrera</i> and similar do on this BBS?

Yes, there are some in the past such as New Orleans and New York that failed to do proper analysis & planning, but they are paying for those <i>sins</i> at the moment.

In regards to a buyout and getting it prorated over the remaining time on Dalembert's contract, even a 50% settlement would be at best the equivalent of a MLE contract next season and that is being optimistic.
    That would be a huge impediment to improving the roster and still showing financial prudence in regards to the Luxury Tax line.

<hr>
    Too late for that since you called me <b>Mr. Straw Man</b> earlier. I spent a fair amount of time digging up documentation to support my POV - position and expected you to do the same. It is <i>disappointing</i> to find out that you have none.

4. pbthunder

I thought about the Straw Man thing. I do regret that.

As for the rest of it, it is just logic. It doesn't require documentation. It just doesn't.

Your list of all the teams, and YOUR OPINION as to how likely they would be to pay Dalembert his money, doesn't have anything behind it, either. It's just what you think, maybe based on reading what other people wrote, right? Or have you actually worked in several of those offices? Have you worked as an agent? What about YOUR OPINION on all these, though I see you have put a lot of thought into it, which I do respect, qualifies as documentation?

You quoted the Larry Coon site on a point, but there is no logic behind what you wanted to say there. You did not state how what you posted from Larry Coon conflicted with anything I said. Is that your idea of documentation?

As for what those front offices do, yes, I believe DM has already considered the idea of a buy-out, if he has even thought about taking on Dalembert. He is a pro. He would automatically know such things, without even consciously considering it. I threw it out there because I didn't see that being considered here. Maybe it was, but I didn't see it.

I'm sorry I insulted you, I really am, but there is no lack of robustness in what I have said here.

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

You want <i>Logic</i>?

<i>
    You are the agent for Dalembert and are given permission to talk to the rest of the teams in the NBA to find out what they would pay him next Summer as a Free Agent.

1. Any trades made after the trade of Dalembert and before the Free Agent signing period next Summer could impact team needs and payrolls which could change the amount available for players like Dalembert.

2. The NBA Draft Lottery has not been held yet and the scouting of college & overseas players is still a work in progress.

3. The NBA Draft has not been held yet.

4. The teams with significant Cap Space this Summer will try to sign the higher profile (Wade, Bosh, Lebron etc) players first and the lower tier players will have to wait for the remaining money.

5. Those without Cap Space will be limited to MLE offers (or less) which likely wouldn't be enough to offset a buyout with a 50% Haircut on his current contract.

5. It is possible that the Leadership of the one team that said they would pay Dalembert 7 - 8 million next season gets fired the day after the current season ends.

6. Since there would be a huge problem with Dalembert having a signed contract with another team for next season while still under contract to the 76ers or Rockets, any agreements would have to be on a verbal basis only.

Since your income as an Agent depends on Dalembert's income, would you tell him to take a buyout from the Rockets with a settlement of fifty cents for each dollar owed under the existing contract?</i>

1 person likes this.