1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Good News on Trade Front

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 2, 2010.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The good news from all the rumors floating about, writers writing trade scenarios etc, including the quote in the nba.com piece about Agent No-No and his gun battle where the say that the Rockets have many suitors re: McGrady (However, the second source indicated that Washington was only one of several teams that were bidding for McGrady,.. )?

(1) This strongly implies that DM the GM won't have to fabricate a market to ratchet up 'bidding' on McGrady and
    (2) This is showing that fans of whatever team is lucky enough to win the services of our fallen hero will be pre-sold on it being a good deal for their team.

Thus, I am optimistic that the return for Tracy McGrady will be very positive!

(In any trade scenario let's try to remember that Scola/Landry/Battier/Hayes/Lowry/and Yao all have deals ending this summer or next)

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gee.....weren't some of us saying that there would be a market this year because of his expiring contract.

While others were saying....no one will trade for him.

Huh...I wonder where those people that said there was no market are now?

Hmmmmmmm?????

:grin:

DD

3. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

I still think the Iggy deal would be best for the rockets... We need a solid 2 that isn't over priced... maybe pick up some expiring contracts to so we can use the money to keep our guys we already have

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

People don't fully appreciate what taking $23 million dollars off your books will be like in today's NBA economy. We are going to rob someone blind.

5. Chamillionaire

read somewhere that they haven't talked for a while and that trade may die.

6. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Yeah i read that, i also read that talks will increase this upcoming weeks because the holidays are over

7. DaDakota

Amen brother.

Trying to explain that around here these last few months has been excruciatingly painful.

DD

8. redao

redao Member

Rockets have to use TMAC's expiring contract to BUY other contracts. Of course, there will always be markets for the buyers. Everyone would like to trade with Rockets if Rockets are open to the contracts of Eddy Curry, Elton Brand, Gilbert Arenas, etc. ...

Is there any market for Rockets selling TMAC for anything positive without absorbing huge negative baggages?

no.

TMAC is still on the team. The trade is not happening. Morey does not like the "market" he has seen so far.

"no market for TMAC" still stands correct.

9. DaDakota

You keep telling yourself that Dorothy and maybe those ruby slippers will actually take you back to Kansas.

;)

DD

10. jaiaguilar

jaiaguilar Member

Yeah, not JUST 23 million! ...if teams like Phili were able to unload a contract like Nrand's then they would save like 40+ million!!! not that I'm advocating that scenario but bad teams wishing to start over would kill for T-mac's contract. Increase ticket sales don't hurt either ;)

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

Ha lol, this^^^ for the W.... I still think Mcgrady is better then all the names being thrown around but the 23Million $$ saved for the good guys is a must and I rather have Iggy playing then T-Mac not.....

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I can appreciate everyone's enthusiasm over the recent "trade rumors" that have come out about guys like Andre Iguodala and Caron Butler, but I think people are reading WAY too much into them.

First of all, there was nothing in the rumors with Philly that the Sixers were the least bit interested in trading Iguodala if they didn't also get to unload the terrible contracts of either Samuel Dalembert or Elton Brand. As I have said before, I don't think there is any way that Morey takes back either of those players under any scenario. Also, based on the rumor's comment on Morey's position, the Rockets aren't even particularly interested in Iguodala's near-max contract unless other young talent is thrown in as well. I just don't see the Sixers trading AI and other young talent without being able to dump Dalembert or Brand. They will use AI as the "bait" to get another team to also take one of those two terrible contracts.

And speaking of "bait", everyone has been so quick to talk about the prospects of getting Caron Butler and other expiring contracts (to make the salaries work) in exchange for McGrady. But the rumor specifically said that Washington was planning on using Butler as BAIT for a McGrady deal. You don't use the term "bait" to describe a player unless you intend on using that player to unload something bad. The Wizards' expiring contracts would not fall into the category of truly "bad" assets. More likely, the Wiz view Butler (and his reasonable salary through next season) as an attractive trade asset that they would like to use to unload some bad contracts, such as Arenas (no way) or Jamison (possibly).

Bottom line: Sure, Daryl Morey may be able to extract more value from McGrady's expiring contract than many of us thought possible a week ago. But it likely won't be for a guy like Iguodala or Butler unless the Rockets also take back some bad contracts. Morey is not likely to do that. More importantly, Les Alexander is not likely to do that, since taking back bad contracts will put the Rockets hopelessly over the luxury tax threshold next year, especially if they hope to re-sign Scola or Lowry. I think a Chris Paul type of super-duper star is the only kind of player for whom Les would be willing to venture into luxury tax hell.

1 person likes this.
  13. jaiaguilar

jaiaguilar Member

wooord!

14. DaDakota

What?

Morey has a history of taking back bad contracts to get the player that he wants.

Jackie Butler, Justin Reed, Brian Cook....

If Morey thinks that it will make the team better, and give him options going forward, I do think he would make a deal.

For instance, if he took on Iggy and Dalambert, I think he could flip Dalambert to the Kings.....

Bima, you have good info on the cap, but if you think Morey would not take on bad contracts, I think you are sadly mistaken.......

Look at it this way, if McGrady expires, you get what? About $8 million in cap room right? If you get two $10 million dollar players, one with a bad contract, you get more value as an organization that way, and if the bad contract is flipable all the better.

At the end of the day, I BELIEVE Morey will take the best deal, and it might just include a poison contract, which he has taken on repeatedly in the past.

DD

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It could mean Morey has fabricated the scenarios and floated it to the writers to fabricate a market, since he has last than 2 months to trade T-Mac.

16. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Great post Bima. My thoughts exactly. I doubt Morey even does the deal in January, as I bet he holds off to closer to the deadline, where more teams tend to make rash moves. Iggy is a great player, but if we had to take on Dalembert too, thats spending nearly $30 million on just the center position. Thats almost half of our cap room. Not that bright of an idea.

17. worzel gummidge

Wiz and Sixers are at the bottom of the table in the EC. Sixers currently hold the 2nd worst record in that conf. At the same time they are only several games away from 8th seed.

January's going to decide who's in and who's out for a trade with the Rockets.

18. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

word!

19. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Sammy doesn't have a horrible contract; he is a solid shot blocking center, albeit an overpaid one for only one more year.
    Arenas, Curry = Cancerous team killing contract

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

THANK YOU. This is what a thread should start with.