1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Kung Fu Movies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

That's amazing- old school kung fu cheese, channel 39 style. I wonder if the Street Fighter creators got the Dhalsim idea from this movie.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

3. VanityHalfBlack

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LjTKPSs_RVM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LjTKPSs_RVM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Roll all those up together and give it a good script and you get: Kill Bill 1 & 2

VooDooPope likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Supporting Member

6. Xerobull

Supporting Member

7. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Is this where Dhalsim was copied from?
    I remember this movie being just like street fighter

8. Xerobull

Supporting Member

Yep!

Rocket River likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nothing like a Good Martial Arts movie!

Some of the classics I thought would have been remade and updated.
    They don't seem to do much of that. . . .

Rocket River

10. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just picked up the Bruce Lee blu ray set put out by Criterion. All remastered.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. VanityHalfBlack

Same, I got it just for the theatrical cut of Enter The Dragon. So much better.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

13. TimDuncanDonaut

Ip Man 1 was really good. This move got so popular, Mortal Kombat gave it to Kung Lao as one of his attack throws.

[​IMG]

14. Xerobull

Supporting Member

If you can, watch the older movie fight scenes at 1.25%. Some of the choreography is so slow it helps.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  15. OkayAyeReloaded

If any kung fu or action movie fan missed this martial arts classic you need to see it and get it together ;)

TimDuncanDonaut and Xerobull like this.
  16. Xerobull

Supporting Member

Agreed. My favorite martial arts action movie, ever.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

When I think "kung fu movie" I almost have to see a bunch of Chinese dudes in old/ancient China. Anything else and it just becomes "another action movie" where people happen to do some martial arts. :D

Part of the genre to me is the old settings. Somebody better be avenging their family name or their teacher or their school or something. And no semi-automatics/machine guns... c'mon... :D

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Okay, well if you want old school traditional Kung Fu movies. Aside from well know Bruce Lee films, you can't go wrong with any of the Shaw Brothers films. Here a few, but there are many more good ones.

36th Chamber of Shaolin
    Heroes of the East
    Five Deadly Venoms
    One Armed Swordsman

As kid who grew up on Saturday morning Kung Fu there is plenty of movies and scenes to choose from.

#78 OkayAyeReloaded, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Can't believe I missed this thread when it first came out.

If we're talking about "Kung Fu" movies we really are talking about the Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest movies of the 70's and 80's. There are "Wushu movies" that were popularized by Jet Li and would be films like "Shaolin Temple", "Fearless" and "Hero". These are movies that are more traditionally Chinese and while have a lot of martial arts are more theme oriented, often with a focus on historical China, and made in the PRC than in Hong Kong. Then there are "Martial Arts movies" which span the gamut from HK Kung Fu to modern American movies like "Undefeated" or "The One". There's also regional subgenres like Thai, Indonesian, and Japanese Samurai movies.

Here's some of my favorites:
    Kung Fu movies:
    Fist of the White Lotus / Clan of the White Lotus / Pei Mei The Cruel (depending on what release you get) is classic Shaw Brothers starring Gordon Liu.
    Project A one of Jackie Chan and Sammo Hong's early movies also with Yuen Biao. Set the standard for the comedic action style of both their careers. This scene is amazing.

The Heroic Trio Starring three of HK's top female actors Anita Mui, Maggie Cheung, and Michelle Yeoh (listed as Michelle Khan). It is the crazy HK night market of movies with "references" to other Kung Fu movies, The Terminator and Batman. I'll leave it to the trailer.

Wushu Movies:
    The Shaolin Temple Jet Li's first movie and the first internationally distributed movie made in the PRC. It's script and production values aren't that great but it has the most authentic Wushu with real Shaolin monks.
    Fearless Great story, great production and great martial arts. Jet Li's masterwork.
    Warriors of Heaven and Earth One of the trend of big productions historical dramas out of the PRC that had sweeping vistas and were grittier than the cartoonish violence of HK style Kung Fu movies. It also starred Jiang Wen who went on to play Baze Malbus in Rogue One.
    Hero Another masterwork with Jet Li and the greatest Chinese director Zhang Yi Mou. Amazing visuals. A real auteurs movie.

Other Martial Arts Movies
    Enter the Dragon Movies would never be same after this. Bruce Lee really set the standard for martial arts action movies and it's also the quintessential 70's action movie. It's a Kung Fu movie, it's a Blaxploitation movie and it's a suave Hollywood rogue movie. The protagonist are Li (focused Asian figher), Williams (black guy from Oakland with a fro who beats up cops) and Roper (rakish white guy who does the right thing). That's a lot of the 70's right there. It's also not just an action movie as there is a lot of martial arts philosophy in it and I've quoted lines from this movie when teaching martial arts. I feel like I could teach a course just unpacking all the cultural references and philosophy in the movie. Also a sad remembrance of John Saxon who played Roper in the movie and passed away this weekend.

The Raid: Redemption Gritty and blood Indonesian movie starring Iko Uwas and Joe Taslim. Two stars who getting recognition but deserve a lot more.
    Ong Bak The movie that made Tony Jaa a star and introduced the World to Thai Cinema
    The Last Samurai I know Tom Cruise but it's still a beautiful movie with some impressive martial arts. Some of the sets in it are very accurate to Meiji Japan. Also who doesn't enjoy seeing Tom Cruise getting his ass kicked.

Sha Po Lang / SPL A gritty HK crime drama with great martial arts but also a good but very dark story and great acting by Sammo Hung and Simon Yam.
    Flash Point the prequel to SPL isn't that good of a movie overall but to me this is the best martial arts fight on film.

There's so many other great movies out there. Might stop and post more later.

OkayAyeReloaded and JumpMan like this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

What if it had been called Fu Kung?