1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Horror Flick for Halloween?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRowdy111, Oct 31, 2008.

1. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Member

Hey guys, i'm a little out of the loop on recent movies so I figured I'd ask for some help since there are so many horrible "scary" movies out there. Tonight for Halloween, me and the little lady are giving out candy and are going to rent a scary Halloween flick. We are going to a costume party tomorrow, so just gonna have a chill night tonight. Any suggestions on a good Halloween movie to rent at the local blockbuster? Thanks in advance!

(Looking for something better than a Jeepers Creepers, but not as intense as the Saw movies.)

:confused:

2. Fatty FatBastard

Go rent "The Ring" if you haven't seen it. One of the better flicks recently, idiot.

3. Nero

Nero Member

I am going to move the projector outside tonight, set up some speakers, and put Army of Darkness on while we give out candy and let the neighborhood drink in all of that Bruce Campbell goodness.

4. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Member

idiot? wow, some fat guy is having issues today....raw

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

Depends on what kind of horror flick your looking for; slasher, zombie, etc....

6. worzel gummidge

i thought ginger snaps was ok. it's a werewolf teen movie but not really a horror or basketball movie.

7. slcrocket

slcrocket Member

Yeah, I also need to find something. The wifey can't do anything gory or overly violent...much more of an eerie "Ring" type of feel to something...any ideas?

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We have Rosemary's Baby and Pet Sematary to watch tonight.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Obscure John Carpenter film (at least I think it is obscure), Prince of Darkness.

10. bladeage

bladeage Member

Jacob's Ladder.

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

You could always browse http://www.best-horror-movies.com as it seems they have collected titles and categorized them in various ways that should let you steer yourself towards something that is both decent as well as in tune with what you're after.

I watched the original Romero "Night of the Living Dead" the other night (B&W circa 1968). It is still made of awesome, after all these years. Most "horror" movies these days are for the gore fanatics, and not at all scary, much less good. I say most... there are exceptions, though few come to mind currently. The Ring was not bad, if not my favorite either.

Everyone tells me "Shawn of the Dead" is great, and I've seen parts of it that make me want to agree, it's is a spoofy farce of a flick... similar to "Army of Darkness" which is very good imo? Anyway, just a thought.

Hellraiser 1 is good though surely everyone has seen it... It's Alive is great for B grade scariness from yesteryear... Rocketman is going to enjoy "Rosemary's Baby", very scary way back when. If you haven't seen "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" it's a somewhat disturbing take from a true story that will have you questioning the supernatural and spirituality. You could always go with an old staple such as Texas Chainsaw Masacre (original) or the Shining. Wolf Creek was a recent flick which is somewhat chilling and supposedly based on a true story in the Outback. The Hitcher (original with Rutger Hauer) was quite disturbing at the time. I saw a guy hitching while on my way to Austin a few weeks ago, and remembering that movie steered me against the idea that I should 'help him out.'

Just some ideas. As Grendal said, it depends what you're looking for.

12. subtomic

subtomic Member
    Supporting Member

Don't Look Now (good for couples - you'll know why in the first hour of the movie)
    A Tale of Two Sisters (Korean ghost story/film so it has subtitles)
    The Others (underrated Nicole Kidman flick)

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

The Descent - one of the scariest movies out there.

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

The Descent... s**t that was scary.

For something lighthearted but Halloweeny... Army of Darkness

15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Member

The Decent was great.

If you don't mind subtitles Devil's Backbone is a great ghost story type that most blockbusters stores should have. Directed by Guillermo del Toro who more recently made the Pan's Labyrinth and the Hellboy flicks.

Also can't go wrong with The Shining if one of you hasn't seen it.

Planet Terror is also a very entertaining flick that would work well enough for Halloween.

16. BigTex

BigTex Member

17. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Member

We got the Strangers. Hopefully it will do the dew. Thanks!