1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good chance Yao will play at Stankovic Cup this week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bob Monkeyson, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Agentzero

Agentzero Rookie

i hope yao will retain his energy for the olympics,and the season.I know yao pays much attention to the olympics ,which will be held in his hometown.plus,i wish yao to stay healthy when the next season will start in nov.Dating back to 06-07 season, our nabour as well as close friend had a terrible just because of gasol's injury ,i hope that will never happen on the rockets even though we have another super star besides yao. :(

2. aka665

aka665 Member

are you talking about memphis??

3. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Let me give everyone here a brief update of the situation to soothe down your concerns and anxiety.

Since Yao Ming returned to China late June, he had rejoined the national team but proceeded with his rehabilitation under the guidance of Jack Sikma, Keith Garnett (sent to China by the Rockets) and Anthony Falsone. Jack Sikma and Keith Garnett had already left after a 2 weeks' stay, and Anthony Falsone is still in Beijing supervising and monitoring Yao Ming's rehabilitation progress, and keep reporting to Dr. Tom Clanton at Houston Yao Ming's progress.

As Anthony Falsone pointed out in China, from the medical point of view, Yao Ming is completely healed in his stress fracture. What the 80/20 meant is he will need a couple of months to bring himself back to his former state prior to his injury.

Yao Ming had returned to full-loaded physcal contact team scrimmages with the national team for almost 1 week now. But his form and condition had been poor and rusty: he got easily tired, sore muscles, foot blisters and got easily out-run and owned by his other team mates of Yi Jianlian and Wang Zhizhi.

Anthony Falsone pointed out a player could only adjust and retrieve his competitive form and condition through competition, and it is normal that at the beginning, Yao Ming would feel very tired, and very sore in his muscles. But after the thrills of competition, his physical condition will rebound (from the low trough) and then rise. This will require a process, and is a progressive development bringing him back from the low trough to the high peak of his physical strength and condition. He thought at his current state, he can play with limited minutes, and therefore he also endorsed the idea that Yao Ming should get some limited minutes and play in the FIBA Stankovic Continental Cup, instead of returning to court end of the month at the FIBA Diamond Cup tournament, as suggested by Keith Garnett before Garnett left China.

I guess that is why the coaching staff of the China national team plans to play him from the bench in the forthcoming FIBA Stankovic Continental Cup tournament (July 17 ~ 20) such that he could gradually adapt to the pace and intensity of the competition. If they still shelf him until the FIBA Diamond Cup tournament (July 29 ~ August 1), there won't be sufficient warm-up games for him to adjust and adapt to the pace and intensity of competition, as well as time to gel with the national team. That would be even more risky, and the chance for getting re-injured is even much higher if they have to play him in the Olympic.

4. MacFu

MacFu Member

Owned and outrun by Wang ZhuZhu?????? :D :D :D ROFL..I have not laughed this hard in a long while. Our "I can only play 30 games a season before I will break my foot again" franchise center got owned and outrun by Wang ZhuZhu!!! ROFL!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

5. pryuen

WHY so funny and laughable..... YMF Yao Hater??? :mad: Every star player will have to go through such a period of recovery right after a major surgery.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I guess the part about being owned by wang zhi is funny. Pryuen, I love your writing, but how come the words are so small?

7. pryuen

WHY so surprising and funny about Yao Ming being physically and speed-wise out-smarted by Yi Jianlian and Wang Zhizhi in the beginning of his comeback trail? Wang Zhizhi had been behind closed door training since April, and Yi Jianlian since June, and they had been playing competitive basketball in 10 warm-up games since June with teams from Memphis, Croatia, Lithuania and Australia. Definitely they are in better shape and conditions than Big Yao in his first full-loaded physical contact contest.

The being out-run and out-smarted of Yao Ming by Yi Jianlian and Wang Zhizhi was from an article of Titan Sports reporting Yao Ming's first team scrimmage on July 9. Definitely he is much better now after a full week of full-loaded physcial contact contest.

8. neuop

neuop Member

it seems like yao could play in the team toningt

9. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Not good, the word out of China is that Yao has developed into a ice cream lover. Everywhere he goes, he has ice cream in hand.

Yao will be bloated to 360lbs by the time of training camp!

10. kupogrey

kupogrey Member

ahaha almost reported you for scaring me :eek:

11. wangchunxu5319

wangchunxu5319 New Member

i am blessing him right here :D

12. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

pryuen is right what is so funny bout the wang zhizhi thing, i love to see anyone here that can compete at the highest level after just sitting around for four months

13. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think what was funny was just imagining Wang schooling Yao ! Wang was such a dissapointment when he was in the NBA. He was real big and goofy and just played horrible !! Pryuen thanks for the update !! hey did you ever get a new job since you moved ? I remember you were having internet problems and you were starting a new job after you moved.....Good Luck :)

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wang is the Chinese Dirk.

15. pryuen

He has been an ice cream lover. In his bibliography by Yang Yi, there was a story about him buying Ye Li, his then dream girl, a full carton of Häagen-Dazs, only for Ye Li to distribute the ice cream to her national team mates, but refused his dating.

A cup or 2 of Häagen-Dazs once in a while won't make him balloned to 360 lbs.

Photos of Yao Ming with his cup of Häagen-Dazs yesterday afternoon after his buffet lunch after arriving Hangzhou. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

if you're an athlete that trains as hard as these guys do, you could eat basically whatever you want.

before last yr, kobe eats a lot of garbage food (ice cream, fast foods) all the time. you just have to put in extra work.

17. pryuen

Well, Big Yao is ready to roll tonight, playing from the bench against Serbia's U20 national team, the champions of last year's FIBA Youth Championship (i.e. U19 Championship).

He had a haircut yesterday afternoon at the hotel the national team stayed.
    [​IMG]

Then showed good form and condition, playing tough defense on Sun Yue, schooling both Wang Zhizhi and Yi Jianlian on offense by scoring consecutive hook shots against them......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is ready to go tonight......probably seeing 10 minutes to 15 minutes of action.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

I miss seeing Yao in action for the Rockets.

19. csux

csux Rookie

who is that really tall guy..?

:D

20. dedong22

dedong22 Member

yao playing right now!!!!!