1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good business shoes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

I keep hearing more and more about the importance of purchasing good quality shoes that will last years (changing the soles when needed.) That being said, what should my budget be and what brands do you recommend for business attire?

2. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I try to spend 1/3 of my clothes budget on shoes. A good pair of shoes will last forever, provided you take care of them. There is no need to shop at department stores, buy from places like Nordstrom Rack. An added bonus of the Rack is that they have their shoes already out who you can try them on and see what size you are in different makes and then go and CAREFULLY try Ebay if you feel that they are still too expensive for you.

Allen Edmonds is a good brand but has fallen off a bit since they were bought out a few years ago. I like them because they don't use metal shanks so they don't set off airport metal detectors. They usually retail at $300 and you can get them a the Rack for $200. My personal favorite is Santoni ($500+) but the drawback is that some of their shoes are difficult to have resoled. Cole Haan and Ecco make cost effective shoes ($120-$250) but many Cole Haans and most (if not all) Eccos are not re-soleable. Many men like the Cole Haan with the discreet Nike Air sole put in. Cole Haan does make shoes with a higher price point if you want. If you want to break the bank, go with Salvatore Ferragamo $800+. Hope this helps you a bit.

1 person likes this.
  3. Roxnostalgia

One more thing about Allen Edmonds: they have a cork insole that, over a short time, molds to the form of your foot giving you a formed fit which is very comfortable.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like shoes by Florsheim, but I need to get my last pair resoled after a few years.

5. Roxnostalgia

Floorsheim's wingtips are classic! Something about the weight makes you feel like Sinatra.

6. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

Aldens
    Church's
    Trickers
    Grenson

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

in two separate posts this morning you've referenced the Astros and Sinatra. i'd rep both posts if i could, but sadly i can only rep one.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is Texas. Get yourself a nice pair of square toe ostrich skin boots. They last forever.

9. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

Just as important as the brand, if not more important, spend the extra to get shoe trees for each pair of dress shoes.

10. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

I like Clarks they arent expensive and they feel really nice

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have some 10 year old Allen Edmonds which are still going strong.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

When talking about clothes to impress, the BEST way to impress people at work is get really nice shoes. People will notice. You can get away without expensive suits, because you don't have to wear a jacket in Houston all the time, and even still, you take it off in the office.

Besides (unlike women's clothes and shoes that go out of style quickly so don't have to be well-made), men expect clothes to last -- because we don't care about new fashions every season. Well-made, expensive, menswear is of significantly higher quality than the cheap version--nicer material, more comfortable and longer lasting

...especially shoes.

14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

born and josef seibel shoes are pretty sweet. dillards has both.

15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have had a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo's for over 10 years and they are still in great shape. I even get the occasional compliment on them, which given the lack of care they receive, says something about their quality. Thank god I didn't listen to my last boss, who told me I needed new shoes because the laces wouldn't stay tied (no, I am not joking here).

I didn't pay $800 for them, so you might be able to find them for a bit less if you look around.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't see Nordstrom Rack as a good shoe spot. Their selection is low and there is no help there. Not bad for shirts or cheap suits but shoes I might not waste my time.

18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I agree with Salvatore Ferragamos. I think they are the best made men's shoe for the money, short of having something custom made.

Get a classic black cap toe or wing-tip. They will be in style and last forever. I have had a pair of cap toes that look better with age, even though I've resoled them twice already.

Other brands to consider:

Bally: I think they have the best deep brown color in some of their shoes. Dark brown without any red it them...a true "tobacco" color. They make nice brown wingtips.

Johnston and Murphy (the high end ones still made in Italy, you usually have to go to the actual J&M store in the Galleria for them)

Lucchese boots: Someone mentioned it above...and its true. You CAN wear nice boots in Texas with jeans or even with nice clothes. I have a nice pair of Lucchese 1883's which are their "lower" end line. They are still hand made (not hand stitched in the 1883, you have to spend more for those) in El Paso, TX. Get a nice pair of dark brown mad dog goat, madras goat, or calf and wear them with jeans. Get traditional roper or "western" cut. Squared toe are OK, but squared toe shoes are quickly going out of style right now. Avoid snip toe.

Go with nice shoes. Apparently there are two things that people notice about you the most when they first meet you (especially women noticing): shoes and a watch. Don't cheap out on either. You can be wearing regular Levi's and a regular shirt and people will still notice nice shoes and watches.

A note on Florsheim. They used to be excellent shoes. They used to be made in Chicago. Now they are made in India and you can tell. They've had a huge drop off in quality, just like Clark's.

#18 Supermac34, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  19. Roxnostalgia

You're right about there being no help and the selection is hit or miss. That said, I've found some of my favorite pairs there at big markdowns. To me it's well worth sorting through the Kenneth Cole Reactions and Steve Maddens to find a good buy::grin:

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

in b4 LonghornFan and his 500 pairs of dress shoes.