1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GOLF] Full set of clubs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MartianMan, Nov 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

I'm thinking of buying a set of golf clubs. My friend said the best thing to do, it to buy the clubs used at an outlet store. He suggested going to edwinwatts.com. I went there, but the selection is pretty small. I was hoping to get a set of Callaways but they didn't have any. I'm looking to spend ~$300 for a set of clubs. Anyone know of any secret bargain places? Thanks.

2. droxford

droxford Member

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I bought a set of Burnt Orange Wilson Pro Staffs for $287 at Academy. It includes everything besides a Putter. They hit great, and have the Win grips on them.

4. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Are you just taking up golf or have you been playing a while?

6. MartianMan

I've been a weekend player for the last year or so. However, I have many years of mini-golf experience :D .

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

My first set of clubs were steel shafted that I got at a pawn shop for about $65. During the course of a year, our of frustration (and alcohol) I slowly ended up throwing every club in the water except for my 2-iron and 7-iron, which I played exlusively with for about 6 months until I ponied up for a nice set of graphite shafted irons from Osman's.

I think im a better player because of it. :D

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Taylor Made200 Steel. Could be old by now. But me like.

9. MartianMan

If you threw them into the water, can you just swim out and get it? Or ask the golf course to get it for you?

Maybe instead of buying golf clubs, I'll just go to a golf course and take a dive into the lake. Who knows what I will find? :)

10. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I'd recommend Bob's golf on Hillcroft? and Westheimer or

Strictly Golf
    4224 San Felipe St
    Houston, TX 77027-2902 View Map
    (713) 623-4282

Strictly has a great selection of quality used sticks.

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

A friend of mine and some of his HS buddies used to plan their summer vacation to New Braunfels for this exact reason. They would go to Schlitterbahn (sp?) during the day. Then at night they would go to a golf course near the place they were staying and dive in the water hazards. They would get several large ice chests full of balls. Then they would take them home, clean them and sell them. they could usually make enough to finance the next years trip.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

That place has some good deals on a used set of irons. I got my Taylor Made Burner set for like $149.

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I took up golf this past summer and I was lucky that my dad is such a bigtime golfer. We went to the Edwin Watts store in Huntsville, AL and I bought a used set of Ping I2 irons for like 600 bucks or so. They are great clubs and I felt that I got a good deal. I think you need to be fitted as that makes a difference in how you would play (stiff shaft, etc.)

You might want to try eBay - I don't know how you feel about going that route but I know a couple of avid golfers who are buying a lot of their clubs on eBay.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Strictly Golf on San Felipe is a great place to buy discount clubs. I have a full set of irons and metal woods...never used..that I won in an outing that are just taking up space in my trunk. I think they are Precepts. You can have them.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm on my way over...

16. MartianMan

Are you serious?

17. MartianMan

*Shove* Outta my way! Ban this guy! He's using major's account. I agree with T_J.... :p

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Haha...I work 150 steps from him. Not counting the walk to the elevator. :)

You've got first dibs if you want him and he's serious. But I gots second, yo.

19. updawg

updawg Member

damn, a little too late :(

20. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Those precept clubs are pretty good clubs.

If you are a beginner be sure to get some oversized irons, they are more forgiving and you won't be as frusturated. Then once you get better, you can get some blades or regular sized irons and you can learn how to work the ball.

I got a good set of titleist irons on ebay not too long ago so you may try that route if you don't get the free precepts.