1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golf Courses in Houston

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Astro101, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Astro101

Astro101 Member

So I'm a newb at this golf thing. I'm horrible at it...so I guess practice would help me out.

I'm heading back to Houston for my Thanksgiving break and was wondering about the golf courses. I know Houston has got plenty of good ones, so I'm looking for recommendations. I don't know if I'll want to play any courses just yet, but for the future, I'd like some opinions/reviews. Nothing to fancy...just something that'll be enjoyable for a few hours. I think I'll hit up the driving range a few times this week though, just to get my swings down right before hitting the courses. Some place that will be light on the wallet.

I'm in the Aldine area/north Houston, so any places up there worth hitting up?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I enjoy playing Tour 18....that's in North Houston. It was in spectacular shape all summer

Memorial and Hermann Park are great public courses that don't cost too much

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I second Tour 18. Challenging but fun; maybe a bit too 'fancy' still though. Got great discounted fees from their e-mail list this summer.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

I find golf is not too much fun when you are overpaying to play on a nice course. That, and the pressure to keep pace, time wise, with the field.

Spend lots of time on the range and get to the point when you won't hold anyone up when you are out on the course.

There is an 18 hole course (Lake Houston World of Golf?) @ JFK and Greens Rd just south of the airport.

Kingwood also has a couple of nice community courses.

5. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Yea, I don't want to have to worry about playing faster or letting other groups play through. That's why I would be spending a lot of time on the range so that I can get comfortable so that I won't shank or get the top of the ball every time I swing.

6. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

The golf course near IAH is actually called World Houston Golf of Houston i believe or H&H ranch...

theres a nice golf course on Cypresswood

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

(from the golf pro's side)

The Friday after Thanksgiving is the densest golf day of the year. You don't do the total most players because of the short daylight but you do do the most players per hour for the short day. In other words it's golf hell. You also use every rental set you can get your hands on because everybody's Uncle Bob down from Michigan wants to play while the girls go shopping. And, because it's a "family time", they want all your cousins, who have never really played, to tag along with a bag of shag balls and some dusty old Spaulding Executives from up in the rafters over the garage.

If you must play call and get an early tee time before the traffic jam has time to build.

In the Aldine area, for cheap recreational golf, by all means go to Cypresswood, play the Creek or the Cypress course. Leave The Tradition for better golfers.

This is why they put UT/AM on Friday, so you don't have to play golf. Also it looks like it's going to be pretty cool this year, maybe even cold.

#7 Dubious, Nov 19, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  8. koochingchang

koochingchang Member

can anybody recommend some good golf instructors in houston who dont charge an arm and a leg?

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

And bring plenty of balls because you'll be losing them in the trees there.

10. WildSweet&Cool

The best answer is Bear Creek

BC has three golf courses of varying difficulty:

President's Course: Easiest course in Houston and perfect for a beginner. For a new golfer, it won't bust your chops. For an experienced golfer, you'll feel like Tiger Woords

Challenger's Course: An intermediate course that will challenge your short game. Lots of par 3's. And improving the short game is the secret to lowering your golf score.

Master's Course: A very good course and certainly harder than the previous two. There are better courses in Houston, but this isn't a bad course at all.

The overall facilities at Bear Creek are perfect for casual golfers and new golfers and are excellent for developing your skills. The teacher there is a guy named Mike Torres and his is a great guy to teach golf basics.

BC's prices used to be very good, but I haven't been there in a while and I don't know what the prices are like now. With most golf courses, you'll get better prices by (a) joining some kind of bulk plan where you pay one big fee to get a whole bunch of golfing ... or (B) when you go during off hours (during weekdays, at twilight time).

for more info, call Bear Creek at 281-859-8188. Give them your email address and ask them to email you golf coupons (do this with any golf course you're interested in). Also ask them if they have any kind of bulk discounts or golf plans that would lower your overall costs.

hope this helps.

11. updawg

updawg Member

12. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Thanks for the opinions, guys! If I just want to hit a bucket or two on the range, can I just go up there? Or do I need to make reservations or anything like that?

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Have I got the course for you....

Check out Sugar Hill. It's on Bissonet near Boone Road.

18 holes, no water, minimal trees and each hole is bordered by large hills.

I hadn't played a round in two years, and played there a year ago, I shot a 92.

It's the golf equivalent of playing basketball on the kiddy hoops. It'll make you feel like Tiger Woods. Seriously. :D

14. n8rox06

n8rox06 Member

No reservations needed for the driving range, but......

If you are on the North side, go to World Houston golf on JFK & Greens (take JFK from the Beltway towards IAH. Turn right on Greens, and look for the sign on the right, less than a mile down Greens). It is only $14 after 2pm, and the course isn't bad. It's narrow, but very playable.

I played it on Saturday for the first time, because like you, I wanted to play in some peace and quiet and not pay too much. I'm new to golf too and can't justify paying $50 and up to play it yet. Check that place out, I think it's right up your alley.

15. Dubious

They must have locked the gates right after you left, cause that place is closed and has been.

16. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Hmm, also found out that for my intermediate golf class, I will actually need clubs. I mean, I've been borrowing my friend's clubs the times I've played, but it'd be nice to get my own set. And yea...I've read the advice...I should start out with maybe a half-set and go from there, perhaps used...I'll do some more research and digging around some golf shops in the next couple days.

17. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Jim Powell gives video lessons at Jim's Golf at Westheimer and Voss. He only charges an arm ($55 per lesson or $220 for 5). It's a really good deal if you want a video lesson (usually more expensive)

Kevin Kirkpatrick at Hearthstone Golf Club is great with beginners and a great guy as well. I forget if he is $25 or $35 per lesson.

It's best to get a series of lessons and practice diligently in between. If you have a bad setup and a poor backswing, you are robbing yourself of your own potential.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Boooo!!! :mad:

19. Dubious

20. updawg

updawg Member

are you guys going to have a demo day in austin anytime soon.
    Thinking about getting some x20's.