1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to New York

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jared Novak, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

The wife and I are going to New York at the beginning of November for five days. She will be there for a conference, so I'll be solo for about three days during business hours. We're flying in the weekend before, so we'll get to enjoy some time together. We'll be staying in Manhattan (don't know what hotel yet) and she has already bought some Broadway tickets.

Any recommendations on things to do and see in NY are appreciated, as this is my first time there. I already plan on going to MoMA (its a must-do on my list). After that, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do and the best times to go. Again I appreciate any advice/recommendations.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Take a train to Brooklyn have dinner and then walk back to Manhattan along the Brooklyn bridge, maybe during the sunset if possible. From there you can walk into china town and little Italy.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

New York's alright, if you like saxophones

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_Q_odSgDQeE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Eat at Marc Forgione in Tribeca

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

The best part of visiting New York is the plane ride back to Texas

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

You should check out 178th street.

The Range Rover might still be there.

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

If you see a bunch of bikers, pull over and wait for them to leave the freeway.

8. the shark

the shark Member

I lived in Manhattan for 4 yrs.
    I would definitely go to the bar at the Rainbow room right before sunset to have a few drinks. Beautiful view overlooking the city.

9. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Rainbow Room is closed for remodeling until next year.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed eating at Pok Pok in Brookyln. It's not near a subway line, so you'll have to take the bus, a cab or Uber (utilize Uber when you're in New York if you want to take a taxi). It was some of the best Thai food I've had in my life and it's totally deserving of all the praise.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Not trying to high jack your thread but I have a NY question to and didn't feel like creating a new thread when there is this one! I'll be in NY for a week in November as we'll and have the choice between going to see Knicks-Wolves or Rangers-Penguins. Though I like K Love and Rubio I'm not sure that game will be super exciting, and I don't know **** in hockey apart from Sid Crosby. Is watching hockey love at the rink any good? Thanks!!

12. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

If you go to 53rd and 6th keep it easy on the fiery red sauce.

Overdoing it is not fun the days after

13. randomdude

randomdude Member

Dinner at Morimoto if you're into fancy dining. Amazing food and good atmosphere to go with it.

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

which weekend? note that november 2-3 is marathon weekend, and that sunday it may be a challenge to get around.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

You'll enjoy a hockey game in person if you have never been, especially one at MSG. The Rangers are OK, and the Penguins are a favorite to win their conference so it could be an exciting game.

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Holy crap Fear! I saw them at the Abyss, awesome!

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If you have never been to MoMA, and are pressed for time, I suggest starting at the top floor and working your way down. The top floor (the 4th?) is absolutely stunning. I loved the rest of it as well, but the works of art on that floor are legendary. And I have a couple of plays to suggest, since you didn't mention what you already have tickets for. Get tickets to Once. It's in one of the smaller, more intimate Broadway theatres, and the audience can actually come on stage and buy beer and other beverages at the bar (part of the set, but they use it!), while terrific Irish music is being played by several musicians right amongst you. That leads to a surprise, which I won't give away, just in case you do it. Come a half hour early in order to do this. Well worth it, and the play is superb. If you've never stood on a Broadway stage and looked around a theatre, this is your chance! A very romantic and unusual musical. Kinky Boots is outstanding. Also, Peter and the Starcatcher is an Off-Broadway comedy we saw that would have had me rolling on the floor, had there been room. It's an adult prequel to Peter Pan. Simply hilarious! The theatre is right in the theatre district, simply smaller than what they used during its Broadway run.

If you haven't been, go see the site of 9/11. Just do it. Go to the top of the Empire State Building. The view is stunning, even during a thunderstorm. That happened to us one year, and it was a trip. The Natural History Museum is one of the world's best. And consider getting day passes for the subway. We got passes for a week at a time, which was cheaper, but you may not need one of that length. Makes it easier than buying a ticket every time. Damn, there's just endless things to do in New York. We spent a couple of weeks there in June, and can't wait to go back. We always have a great time there. :)-

#18 Deckard, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  19. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Daniel Craig and Rachel Wietz are starring in one of the best plays ever - Betrayal :) Patrick Stewart and Ian McLelland are in Waiting for Godot and No Man's Land. Amazing plays. Do some window shopping on 5th Ave. Do Rocekfeller Center :) See something at Lincoln Center. Brunch at Public or Cafe Mogador in St. Mark's Place. Ride the subway. Eat in Grand Central . Go to central park. Dance Salsa. See the Met, the MOMA and the Guggenheim. Check out a band. Good God, there is no shortage of amazing things to do. I freaking love that place. You feel it when you hit the ground.

20. B-BallGuy

B-BallGuy Member

I used to live in Manhattan and there are so many things to do.

One of my favorite things was to relax at Washington Square park and listen to the musicians that set up there.

I also liked going to Williamsburg (Brooklyn- 1st stop in Brooklyn on the L train- Bedford stop) and walking around on the weekend. Lots of artists and musicians set up on Bedford avenue

Top Parks- Central park, high line, prospect (bklyn), and riverside were my favorites. Union Square is great to people watch.

The tram from Manhattan to roosevelt island(you can use your metro pass) is a nice view.

Also a cool little secret that not everyone knows is if you take the 6 train heading downtown, the last stop is city hall brooklyn bridge. But if you stay on, it will go through the old city hall stop when it is turning to go to the uptown track, that has high arching ceilings and a really nice quick view of what the old subway stop used to look like. You have to do it during the day because the light from outside is what illuminates it up. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/10/the-hidden-abandoned-city_n_781669.html#s179141

Main recommendation though is do some of the touristy stuff but what makes NYC so great are the other things that tourists don't experience as much like the small cafes in west village, reading a book while listening to the piano player in washington sq park, and walking in the cool weather in the lower east side. Enjoy your time because it will fly by.