1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going to Europe w/ my buddies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheGreatWall, Jan 22, 2014.

1. TheGreatWall

TheGreatWall Member

6 of us are going to Europe this Summer and have loosely planned on leaving Friday June 27th to Sunday July 13th.

We are all 25 years old, we all went to UT, we all love a good time, no one is married, big fans of music, good beer, good food, sporting events, outdoor activities and culture (museums, markets etc.). Of course, we are looking to have some BIG nights at a club or whatever but really hoping for advice/suggestions/input on all facets of the trip.

- Places to stay
    - Places to eat
    - Pubs/bars to wander into
    - Clubs/discotecas to venture in
    - Mueseums to or NOT to visit
    - Overrated/underrated things to do
    - Logistics/travel advice
    - Cultural advice (don't want to piss anyone off while we are guests in their country)
    - NOT including the round trip ticket to Europe a rough estimate on how much money we should be saving for this trip. Not looking to break the bank but not going to Europe to be a tight ass either. Was thinking close to 3K?

So if y'all have any big or little ideas please feel free to share. Thoughts on the cities we chose would be great. Let us know if you think we are missing out some cities or our blueprint could be better (too many cities? too touristy?).

As of now we arrive in Dublin Saturday June 28th and stay until Tuesday July 1st. We leave that morning to Lisbon (1/2/3) then to Barcelona (4/5/6) then Munich (7/8/9) and finish in Prague (10/11/12). We depart early Sunday morning back to Houston.

Some thigns we have discussed doing...

- Arcade Fire plays in Dublin June 29th
    - Optimus Alive festival in Lisbon July 10-12 (we would have to change the travel plans for that)
    - Guiness Brewery/Storehouse
    - Hofbrauhaus
    - Temple de la Sagrada Familia
    - Museu Picasso

Nothing is too crazy or too lame! We want to hear it all.

Thank you in advance everyone and we greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Hook 'em!

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Skip Ireland, instead go to Ibiza to accomplish your objectives

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Watch Hostel before you go!

1 person likes this.
  4. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Hook 'em! I too did a similar trip with my UT buddies some years back. I'll elaborate later, but for now I'd say to limit yourself to 2 countries like Spain and Italy. Slow down and really explore all that they offer. All 4 of us agreed after the trip that we tried seeing too much in too little time.

I did two more Euro trips with friends after that one and it felt much better as the experience was far more enriching. The first time the Euro Rail pass was very handy. The 2nd and 3rd time, we took a rent-a-car and that was a blast. We roughly spent $4-6k/trip for 2 weeks excluding air fare.

5. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

edit

[​IMG]

#5 mvpcrossxover, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

-Temple Bar seems to be the place in dublin.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Bar,_Dublin

Dublin is about drinking and some street UFC. Overall not as nice as other european cities but definitely night scene and pubs of course. Generally less expensive than rest of europe so not a bad start.

For munich I highly recommend the englishgarten. They have a big gazebo with drinking beer garden in middle of the park.

[​IMG]

good atmosphere and to me more fun than hofbrauhaus.. but yeah hofbrauhaus is the sort of famous one. Ask aroundtheworld too he knows. Skip the BMW museum.

Plaza cataluyna is the sort of city center and las ramblas is good for a walk. Pretty standard barna stuff. Old part of barcelona is nice and worth checking. that is the area near las ramblas and going towards barceloneta.

For prague recommend old part and charles bridge.

1991 called they want their old news back. Geez. :rolleyes:
    wrong as usual. Don't bother with ibiza that ship has sailed. If you are looking for drunk brits, that party has moved to zakynthos or sunny beach bulgaria.

ibiza is a joke, but if you must, I recommend san antonio beach and pacha. But dont waste your time. it's for modern day posers (ahem) and way way overpriced.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Ireland is a beautiful country, full of very nice people..... but 25 years old hell raisers will NOT be entertained, and the girls are.... well don't even bother, just consider yourself neutered.

8. Nook

Nook Member

One last thing...... Spain, and Eastern Europe has the best fun IMO.....

9. bigtexxx

Sorry you couldn't afford the fun stuff

10. Swedish_Rocket

You should check out Switzerland, that's where I've always wanted to go.....or anywhere in Scandinavia

11. bigtexxx

I don't recommend Scandinavia for his purposes. It's not a great party place unless you're going to Roskilde or some festival. I found it rather boring, although beautiful in some places (fjords of Norway)

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

and sorry you are a poser that STILL talks about ibiza. roflmao. pure comedy.

my high speed yacht from mallorca laughs at you.

It was overpriced, that doesn't mean warren buffett wouldnt say the same thing.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I second this with particular attention to bergen, zermatt and interlaken

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

THIS!

Some of the best years of my life were when I lived in Switzerland. It's my favorite country. So beautiful.

Eastern Europe can be a blast too, like the Czech Republic.

15. Swedish_Rocket

Well I am being rather biased :grin: .... Although I've found the nightlife in Stockholm and Copenhagen to be enjoyable, and the fjords of Norway is pretty nice like you said.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would see arcade fire. Almost was in Paris during a bad ass music feat but missed it by a few days.

17. Man

Man Contributing Member

check out wikitravel.org if you haven't already

\m/

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

bang some hot girls and father a child in every country you visit.

19. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

If you decide to go to Italy, skip Venice

20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Scottish Whiskey tour?

This may sound lame...but pick at least one or two "cultural" things to do. Louvre in Paris...or something. It may sound lame now, but in 10 years you may have wished you did something like that.

You could all get manly and go learn falconry... http://www.dartmoorhawking.co.uk/

By the way...for beautiful women, low cost fun, and some neat culture: Budapest. It is Europe's stag (bachelor) party destination. This should translate well to activities for twenty something singles. I think you can go drive tanks.

http://www.budapestmadness.com/en/activities/tank/