1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going Costa Rica

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Francis3422, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Will be going in Feb. Although I have traveled pretty extensively in the C, I have never personally gone to Costa Rica. I was hoping to see Is anyone could recommend a nice fairly quaint little beach town to stay at that meets the criteria below..

1. We want to be very close to a beach preferably able to find a rental within walking distance but I don't want it to be a crazy Cancun type of tourist beach more of a relaxed setting.

2. Within 2 or 3 hours driving distance from San Jose where we will be flying in.

3. An example of a town that we love is puerto morelos in Mexico, Again we are not looking for a huge party town but we do want easy access to good restaurants a few bars and not a ton of tourists.

Thank you for sharing your experiences if you have

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I stayed at a laid back place in Playa Hermosa called Villa Belmar Sevilla Resort. Very quiet beach right outside, and there are bars and resorts around if you want to venture out. Run by a really kind Spanish dude.

3. Buck Turgidson

Like Jugdish suggested, Look up the coast from Quepos: Hermosa, Bejuco, Herradura, Esterillos

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You may want to widen your driving radius a bit. You may still be in the mountains 2-3 hours from San Jose depending on traffic.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  5. AWIN

AWIN Member

prob anywhere but Jaco

astros123 and Sajan like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Be careful not to leave an extra family there.

7. AWIN

AWIN Member

Yup you will be paying for it up front and then exponentially after

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You're flying into the wrong city if you want a beach vacay in Costa Rica. I would change to Liberia if possible. So many small beach towns there. Exactly what you're looking for. Tamarindo, Flamingo, Playa Negra, Playa Conchal, etc.

Sajan likes this.
  9. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Bring back a bunch of coffee.

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...each-Playa_Samara_Province_of_Guanacaste.html

I can only speak for the beach towns of Punta Uva and Playa Chiquita from San Jose, but they are about 6 hours by shuttle. The Caribbean side has the toucans and sloths, and more wildlife next to the beach. Both coasts have their own positives really. I won't go into detail though, since it is too far from the airport.

The plus to the NW Pacific side is the dry season if you want to ensure sunshine. You don't see sloths, mccaws and toucans, but you see a lot more Geico's/Iguanas on and around the beach. I've been to both Tamarindo area and Samara. Both were great. Tamarindo is closest to Liberia, has cleaner water, nicer beaches, lots of beautiful shells, lots of excursions, and plenty of other nearby beaches as well. There are tons of surfers in the water (surf schools too) , which makes good entertainment but not a peaceful swim with boards flying. I would swim at low tide though. I loved the beach, and the small little town has plenty of restaurants and shops. I stayed down the road from the beach glamping at Dreamsea surf camp, which is loaded with howler monkeys in the mango trees.

Samara is like a post card jungle backdrop beach. It is the opposite of Tamarindo. More secluded, more jungle vibe, lots and not crowded at all. If you just want to chill in a hammock and relax under the trees I can recommend the place I stayed, which was ideal.i I included the link The water there has more debris, such as driftwood, and the beach is more coral and rocky mix with sand. I didn't like that part, but loved the views, wildlife, and authenticity. I watched locals next door launch their boat off the beach twice a day and bought fresh fish from them really cheap. My highlight there was seeing the arribada when thousands of sea turtles come in to nest, which falls close to the new moon. That was absolutely amazing.

11. Xerobull

6 hours in a f******* shuttle? Plus the flight, then whatever BS you deal with checking in to the lodgings, and on top of that, what ever potential bribes...

No offense, and I mean that, this seems like a huge clusterf**** to go to a foreign country. I guess if you're there for months it's worth it. Otherwise, just give me an established tourist trap in the US.

Sell me on this sort of thing because I sincerely don't get it and I want to.

#11 Xerobull, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I just wanted to see the Caribbean side, and yeah, it was a big pain getting down there. But, I stayed 5 weeks so that helped. Seeing Toucans, sloths, and all kinds of wildlife in my backyard was awesome, as was the walk down to the beach. Would I do it again? Not anytime soon. The convenience of Tamarindo and an hour or so drive is so much easier.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Am I the only one terrified about traveling to tropical countries in fear of all the tropical diseases and parasites?

Costa Rica looks absolutely stunning/magical, but chagas and malaria scare the hell out of me.

14. Xerobull

Thanks for the honest feedback. The view of the countryside and it's flora and fauna is a true selling point.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

The Caribbean side is exactly what you'd get in any part of the Caribbean coast. You can always fly into Panama City, enjoy the Old Town (Casco Viejo), and then take a ride out to either coast for the rest of the week.

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Honestly, I understand your point. It's a valid concern. It scared me too, and it is a very real risk. Add in all the poisonous snakes and it makes a hike in the jungle petrifying to me, so I only did that once.

It's that same fear that keeps me from enjoying the best part of nature. A hike on the Appalachian Trail loses its appeal when you add in all the animals and insects that can kill you. A walk in the woods where bears eat and breathe simply terrifies me.

Luckily, I came out of Costa Rica safe and healthy.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd be worried about lyme disease the most in the Appalachian trail.

One thing that's cool for me is knowing that there are some places in the world where there is truly very little to worry about in that regard, where I feel like I could enjoy nature without the anxiety of danger. Two very popular and awesome countries that come to mind are Iceland and New Zealand.

New Zealand and Iceland have nothing. Like no lyme disease, no rabies, no tropical diseases, no predator animals, no poisonous snakes or spiders, not even poison ivy. Me and you brother, let's go roll around the forest of New Zealand and the snow of Iceland without a care in the world! lol

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Now that is what I call a "worry free" way to enjoy wilderness and some beautiful parts of the world. I definitely want to visit those countries, and stay away from volcanoes.

I went to Ireland back in 2012 and have been back 3 times because they too, have no poisonous insects, bears or animals that will kill you. I loved walking anywhere without fear of snakes or other animals.

They do have ticks though, in some areas unfortunately, so the possibility of getting Lyme disease is real.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes worry-free from disease and animals but certainly not all of mother nature. 18 just died in from a volcanic eruption in NZ last week, it was on a small remote island off the mainland, but was a tourist attraction as an active volcano, very sad.

What connects countries like NZ, Iceland, and even Ireland is that they are firstly islands, and secondly are at extreme enough longitudes to be cold enough to disrupt many things from flourishing. Hell, Iceland doesn't even have mosquitos!

Tropics are the opposite, always hot, constant moisture ='s perfect breeding grounds for tons of diseases and parasites. Which is a shame because the tropics are some of the most beautiful places on earth, especially places like Costa Rica.

deb4rockets likes this.