1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOAT Starters

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by YaoFanatic, Jul 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. txppratt

txppratt Member

ditto...

in the best five man team, dream plays the 4 next to shaq, like he did next to sampson.

5 shaq
    4 hakeem
    3 bird
    2 jordan
    1 magic

no other 5 man team could top THIS.

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

I agree with you. Chuck in his prime was the most devastating power forward I have seen. That said, Chuck in his prime also played some SF. You couldn't go wrong with either him or Bird there--both have great court vision, handles, Barkley the great rebounder and finisher, Bird the supreme and rangy shooter.

Most of the greatest players transcend position and could play multiple positions, that is why I say just work on the best starting 5 you can, bedamn the formal positions (which is misleading anyway, e.g., Duncan almost always plays center when it matters and Dream has superior non-center skills anyway--there is no team you could make with Duncan in which could not be improved with a Dream in his prime in that spot).

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

I'd definetly take Wilt or Kareem in the 5 spot instead. Wilt was basically Shaq+. I'd probably go with Kareem though because they you couldn't employ hack-a-Shaq, hack-a-Wilt. Not to mention Kareem was also unstoppable offensively and a great rebounder and shot blocker in his prime.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Since this thread started, I've been thinking about the relative paucity of GOAT true 4s.

If you were starting a real team from all the players in NBA history, 4's are the last ones you would pick...

It's a given that 5 centers (Russ, Wilt, Kareem, Dream, Shaq) would go before any 4. And maybe a few others... particularly Moses and Walton.

At least 3 PGs would go before a 4... Magic, O, and Stockton... and you could make strong arguments for other PGs like Zeke and Cousy.

At least 2 2s would go... Jordan and West, maybe Baylor.

At least 2 3s would go... Bird and Doc, and probably more. Barkley's an anomaly as he played like a cross between a 4 and a 3 and played offense more like a 3 (at least in his dominant years).

So, that leaves Hayes, Malone, Duncan, and Garnett as viable options at the 4.

If you're building a real team (not fantasy) from scratch and you have one of the top 15 picks, do you pick one of the PFs? I don't.

5. francis 4 prez

i don't even like him, but you have to take duncan before any 2 but mj, any 3 but bird, and maybe any pg but magic (maybe not big O) as far as i'm concerned. his D would put him above dr. j, stockton, isiah, west, cousy (cousy?), and he's certainly outdone walton. once you throw in karla and barkley at PF, i think SF is the weakest position of all (and i thought this was the general consensus anyway). SF's have been the guys teams have least built around in history from what i can think of.

6. francis 4 prez

by position, you'd have to go magic, jordan, bird, duncan, and then pick out of kareem, hakeem, shaq, and wilt (sorry, i don't believe in russell). my inclination is to put wilt first, but his lack of drive worries me and i can never pick out of the centers.

however, as many have done, the obvious thing to do is to get 2 of the all-time centers on the team and Hakeem is the most natural 4 of the bunch, so you'd have magic, jordan, bird, hakeem and then one of the remaining 3. and even though i didn't pick him just a second ago, for some reason shaq seems the best complement to hakeem. just having his brute strength to go along with hakeem's ridiculous athleticism and speed would be devastating. kareem just seems like generally more of hakeem and even wilt wasn't as massive as shaq. having shaq's amazing offensive dominance with hakeem's amazing defensive dominance (with both still very good at the other aspect), having hakeem grab all the defensive boards with shaq swallowing up all of the offensive boards. anyone not scared from the paint because of hakeem blocking everything would stay out because of shaq's imposing presence (and vice versa). it just seems like the most logical combo.

lebron might get his name on this list before it's all said and done. in fact, if he keeps going like this, i don't see how he's not the all-time SF.

amazingly that was the 87-88 all-NBA first team.

7. francis 4 prez

that might be the most awkwardly worded sentence i've ever agreed with. :D

8. krocket

krocket Member

Chamberlain is THE center without question. Nobody else has ever averaged 50 PPG and 25 RPG for the season. I don't think you could include Malone without Stockton running PG. I don't know who would be the best PF of all time. Just too many good ones. Bird, Jordan and Magic easily round out the starting 5. I don't think Hakeem ever played PF to my recollection, but I might be mistaken. Sampson played center only one season until we drafted Hakeem and then he slipped over to PF.

9. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

C Wilt Chamberlain
    PF Hakkem Olajuwon
    SF Larry Bird
    SG Michael Jordan
    PG Magic Johnson

I win! :D

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

C) Olajuwon
    PF) Barkley
    SF) Bird
    SG) Jordan
    PG) Johnson

11. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Shaq
    Duncan
    Bird
    Jordan
    Magic

12. HoustonForever

C Olajuwon
    PF Malone
    SF Pippen
    SG Drexler
    PG Magic

13. Guru

Guru Member

PG-Magic
    SG-Jordan
    SF-Bird
    PF-Duncan
    C-Wilt

14. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

PG: Magic
    SG: Jordan
    SF: Bird
    PF: Barkley
    C: Olajuwon

15. what

what Member

pg - John Stockton
    sg- Oscar Robinson
    sf- Larry Bird
    pf- Tim Duncan
    C- Wilt Chamberlain

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Stockton has to be about the most overrated player. In his prime he was no match for an Isiah Thomas or Gary Payton (according to Barkley who said Payton just manhandled him in their matchups). I think Steve Nash in his peak is a better player too. Magic is unquestionably the best PG of all.

Stockton was a great and gutsy player with a really long career. He also benefited tremendously from having great players around him who could force doubles and put the ball in the bucket. But there are other PGs at their peak who were more dominant, harder to stop, and better. Magic without question, but I think you can make a strong argument for 3-4-5 others.

17. txj9428

txj9428 New Member

Wilt
    Dream
    Magic(still pg)
    Jordan
    Kobe

The show is over folks....you all can go home now...... :D

18. BigM

BigM Member

chamberlain
    olajuwon
    bird
    jordan
    magic

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

How about:

Chamberlain = PF
    Olajuwon = SG
    Walton = PG
    Kareem = SF
    Russell = C

They wouldn't have to dribble... just lob it to each other to get the ball downcourt... and they would be long on defense.

20. what

what Member

magic said stockton was the greatest pg of all time. I'm going with him. :)