1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GO ROCKETS Forum!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Nov 6, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Member

Tell me a story about this BBS forum (like how you first heard about it, the funniest thing, best prediction) or why you love the Rockets and login everyday. We are losing longtime posters to the Gordita talk, so I hope to see at least 3 lurkers come out with a story! The longtime people, let's see how many April Fool's posts by Clutch you can remember. Or, how did the Admin's become Admins.

...for the slower ones in group, hell you can even say something about Tracy Murray.

but no Gordita's discussed here...unless they sell them in Compaq.

I'll start: I live and breath basketball. I was raised that way. I sought out Usenet newsgroups in 1995 on a 9600 baud modem, and would talk to like 5 people for a season, never bothering to search the Internet...too slow. I eventually upgraded to 28.8 in 1997 and in 1999 bought season tickets and was busting at the seams to talk with more than 5 people...and I found espn. Took about a week to find that totally embarrassing to post in, and someone mentioned clutchcity.net.

Oh, and this is why cc.net is worth getting addicted to if you love basketball. This is like CBrownFanClub's 10th post when the BBS was exploding with a 2-10 record and Clutch went for the jugular of Rocket's contempt with "Trade Dream or Barkley Now"

<a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11413">Good Time To Be A Rocket Fan (No Kidding)
    </a> with a 2-10 record.

Oh for the days of arguing about the Rockets!

2. A-Train

A-Train Member

I started to really become interested in the BBS after reading some posts from this guy named heypartner...Whatever happened to that guy? Oh well, I guess he just faded into oblivion. :)

#2 A-Train, Nov 6, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2001
  3. heypartner

heypartner Member

A-Train made me laugh my head off with his 5th post.

<a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2958">Learn basketball from the best!!</a>
    The thread got out of order during the server change. A-Train is the author, but his opening post is like 6 posts down.

Again, this is right in the depths of a bad season. GREAT POST A-Train. Really funny stuff.

4. Band Geek Mobster

5. OT

OT Member

I came across Clutch City a couple of years ago trying to find information about the Rockets. I love the Rockets and I love playing basketball. I am getting too old to play much anymore. It takes a lot longer to get over the aches and pains now. I have never been very good at playing but, at work where I use to play they called me Worm because of my relentless effort at rebounding. I figure if the ball is coming off the rim, it's mine and I will do whatever I have to to get it. I also like making the pass to the open guy and setting picks. Those are probably the only reason the guys ever let me play, cause I would do the dirty work.

I love the BBS. There are a lot of knowledgable basketball people on here. I like hearing all the different ideas that are presented. All except those that are negative about the Rockets. That's usually when I end up posting, trying to take up for the Rockets. I have to admit that I was not overly excited about this season because of Dream leaving and I didn't think we really improved the team that much. But, the young rookies and Willis are getting me pumped. GO ROCKETS.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Great thread, Heypee.

I have been a Rockets fan ever since '84, but I did not know about this site until a year or so ago. I honestly didn't know much about the BBS and I always would go to things that are on the front page like the Roster page. However, near the end of July, I saw some kind of news about the Rockets and it was from the BBS at clutchcity. This time I made the effort to understand the BBS and I got registered on 8-1-01. Believe it or not, my intention was not to post much. Little did I realize that I would post as much as I have.

Here's the first thread that I really read on this BBS:

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12270&highlight=Dream

I know since I haven't been here long, that there are probably better threads out there, but this one was special to me for 2 reasons:
    1) It was the first thread that I read here
    2) It deals with a major topic in Rockets history: the possible departure of Hakeem Olajuwon

Thanks to Clutch and the rest of the clutch crew for running a great site. Also, thanks to all the BBS posters who have helped me learn all kinds of things and for all the valuable news that they have shared.

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

I think I joined before the Spers April Fools Joke I remember visiting the site, then all of a sudden one day, it was a Spers site and not realizing it was April Fools! All that teal and pink made me want to puke.

I think found the BBS by doing a search for Houston Rockets or through the Rockets Webring...I don't recall exactly how I found the site, but I'm glad I did.

I login everyday because this is one of the best BBS' I've had the pleasure of joining. Most folks have a great sense of humor and can carry on decent discussions. As most of you know, the Hangout is my forum of choice and that's mainly because I'm not into the technical/plays/stats aspect of the game, therefor, I don't post a whole bunch in the 01-02 forum. I have started posting a bit more since the season has started but it's limited to topics I can handle. I enjoy the camaraderie of the game night chats and the friendship I have with people I don't even know! I also love the Rockets, the home town team, my boys...I'm looking forward to many more posts and many more chats.

Thanks Clutch for having such a great site.
    Crispee, great thread!

rH

8. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

hmmm.

I have no idea how I got here, but I do, sorta, remember when. At the very latest, it was the season before we picked up S.Anderson. In fact, one of my first posts was a poem I wrote about him during his pickup. I think it was called Quote the Shandon...or something like that, using Edgar Allen Poe's the Raven as the base. I think I went by Laughinj back then.

I sincerely enjoyed reading, learning, laughing, and sometimes getting bent over these posts. So much so, CC.net has been my home page off and on over the years and is the only site I visit at least 3 times a day. Hell, IT IS the ONLY site I frequent.

Why I don't post? (maybe this would be a good idea for another thread to encourage us wallflowers to post)

1. Your knowledge of the game and the Rockets exceeds mine by volumes and I'm not going to add a line for agreement's sake.
    2. One line posts by newbies gets ripped. (somehow mr. astericks got away with it)
    3. Heck, I'm usually the quiet guy in the corner getting schnockerd on bud lite at parties anyway.
    4. I'm having fun anyways.
    5. I haven't figured out how to use the smilies ;-(

Anyway, my physical social life is non-existent and you guys are like family to me. It's amazing how well I know some of you. I can anticipate your response, or if you will respond. I know when you are joking or not...even without the smilies. None-the-less, you guys are IT. Ooooops, got off subject...

Don't have a favorite thread, but REALLY like reading the dynamics of the game and the analysis of games from the night before that you guys offer.

getting closer to the edge.
    RR

#8 RocketRaccoon, Nov 6, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2001
  9. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I forget how I found the site, but it was a .COM back then.

One of the things I look back and laugh at were the "police". Those trolls that only come out to say "wrong forum stupid" and then go back to hide under their bridge.

Ahhh, the good ol' days and the ongoing battle between self-policing and administrators. I could never get enough.

This thread seems to capture the mood of the times: http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12755&highlight=police

It's funny now...seriously.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I was a casual Rockets fan until I moved to Dallas and could no longer get Rockets info easily (Chron). I needed something more than the ****ty Dallas Morning News Rockets coverage, so I began searching for Rockets websites. I don't remember exactly how I came across this one, but I did, and am forever happy for doing so. It has converted me from a casual Rockets fan into a rabid, info craving Rockets maniac.

11. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

What ever happened to Duke? You know, Lhutz?

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

:eek:

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I login everday because the site rocks!!

I don't remember how I found the site - In fact, I believe the site found me(cue the creepy paranoid music).

So many cool memories:

- the board splitting into little clubs: visionaries, incrementalists, cabbage patch

-oilpair posts. so much better than that faker popeye dude.

-the rh post that manny already posted

-sheep boy

-jenna's melodrama

-the birth of THE clique(if you don't know, don't ask)

-that argument between will(or kagy) and shanna and rm95 about Sprewell

-DignityBear

-Pinetree

-the tank-a-thon

-me trying to be funny

-rimmy trying to sound smart

-the post police(mango and co)

-the off-topic police(finn, dod, smeggy)

-post deductions :)

-bovilles first posts

-heyp encouraging new posters

-the punctuation crusade

-CBFC posts

-the pure elation on the board when we got Griff :)

that's all I can think of for now, but, yeah, there's plenty more.

14. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

When I first started visiting clutchcity.com, it wasn't its own url, but on a college server I believe. Quickly thereafter, it moved to cc.com, but for about a month I never clicked on the "Clutch BBS" link. I thought it was information for a dial-up BBS (back in the good old days) that would give you the same rockets info but on a Wildcat system or something like that. I was like "Why would I click on that -- I don't need it now that I have internet access" . . . eventually I clicked 'cause I was bored.

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

Well ive always been a rockets fan ever since i could remember, since ive lived in katy, a close suburb of houston all my life until now where im in austin for college. My mom used to get the company seats behind the backboard all the time. I remember when i was little my dad and a friend of his at work took me to a rockets game, and his friend walked me down to the court to see if i could snag an autograph. Well since i didnt no better and i saw the players going through the pregame shootaround i just walked right onto the court. OT(Thorpe) took me aside and gave me his autograph and than i went back to my seat. I guess thats why i was sad when he was traded for clyde, i didnt have as good a grasp of phislamma jamma as i do now so in hindsight it was an awesome decision one that i definitely don't regret. As for finding the website, i just wanted to find a good rockets site on the web to go along with my chronicle sports section which i would read multiple times a day, often i said i wouldnt read the section the next day if the rockets lost but i did usually anyway because as i now know my passion is sports; thus i am studying to be a sports announcer or sports reporter. Eventually i found this site and i loved it, while at first i didnt post a lot after a few months i started to post some and now on a frequent basis

Now as for my favorite thread it has to be the one where i posted the cuttino mobley signing when it was between us and toronto.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5831

16. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Member

I've been visiting this site since it was on the college server and it was mainly focused around Junkyard Dog Mario Elie. I remember my first April fools joke about Rudy T leaving because of Barkley I was so upset until I got to the end when I started laughing after reading that it was just an April fools joke. I think I lost the site for a while and then found it again on .com. I don’t remember if I read the Rudy T story on .com or the old college server. I was only visiting the site occasionally when it changed to the spurs. He had me on that one and I didn’t come back for a couple of months. Then I would read the site constantly until Dec 1999 (I think??) when he posted an email form but never really told us why except that big changes were coming. At the time I was willing to bet it was because he was going to make it a pay site (like the ESPN insider) and would give everyone who entered the form a free month or something. I signed up with like 5 different email addresses to make sure I got the email. I remember getting to school and checking my email to read Clutch’s letter.(I actually remember the exact computer) I was shocked and upset about the move, not at first but as time went on I got more pissed. Finally in January 2000 I signed up for the BBS and was so proud win I got 100 posts in my first month. I remember the days of the shotgun sounds page, I think the only reason I downloaded WinAmp was to listen to The Remember Mix. The launch of SOR.com was probably one of my favorite moments. Paige has always been one of my favorite posters because of his websites and NoArena.net is right up there with AntiBud.com as my favorite.

P.S. Thanks Clutch, Jeff, Kagy, Keely, Will, Shotgun, and the rest of the Crew as well as all (okay well like 99%) of the members of the BBS for making this site great.

Oh and P.P.S. To those who have been here for ever and stopped posting b/c of newbies please come back. We miss you.

17. edc

edc Member

Blast from the past:

clutchcity.com, 1998 style!

Headlines:

Hakeem's pain-free practice brightens spirits of team
    Barkley/Maloney to return

BBS powered by bravenet.com!

Logo which reads "Clutch City Online"

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I found this site bakc in May of 2000 and went straight to the BBS the first day. I've never really been so much of a front page guy (while well-done, I think the opening page - www.clutchcity.net - is kinda weak). I remember I got into a dumb argument about some stat question or something and it took me a couple of posts to realize you're always better off just admitting to your dumbass mistake then trying to deny it. It only took me a couple of posts though.

The funniest thread I can remember involves the infamous StroShow. It starts out a little slow, but about halfway down the first page it starts getting hilarious - and the back and for batner goes on for pages. If I remember there was even some collaboration between this BBS and the Grizzlies one over the issue.

Check it out:

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1132&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

19. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

;)

Oh sh*t. I did it. I used a smily. To fricken easy...........

RR:D

20. red

red Member

JayZ750...thank you for that link...ahhh good times, good times...