1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Go big, super big.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amiga, May 22, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

With the defensive speed of Capela, I wanted to see McHale trying some super big lineup.

Howard - Bogut
    Capela - Green
    Smith (or Brewer if Smith can't hit the farm) - Barnes
    Harden/Ariza - Thompson
    Ariza/Harden - Curry

This is an all-defensive line-up. You can play aggressive perimeter defense, including traps. There always will be one big back to protect the paint and to rebound.

On offense, Capela only function is screen and roll and you get a steady diet of Harden PnR. I've seen enough to risk Capela being an effective catch and dunk or pass guy if they trap Harden.

Give it a few mins to see how it goes. I think it can be effective at both ends. It cannot be worse than last year twin towers of Howard and Asik just because Capela have gluey hands and can jump 5 ft higher.

2. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

Interesting idea

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wouldn't mind seeing what a 4-5 Capela-Howard combo could do.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Having only one ball handler will kill us. (Ariza is NOT a ball handler. Smith handling the ball is like watching a good horror movie. You never know what's gonna scare you the next second.)

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Harden shouldn't be on Curry.

6. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I wanted McHale to try a Capela and Howard combination since the Clippers series when Jones was struggling. He never did it and I'm clueless why he hasn't done it at all beside him being a rookie.

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

Interesting idea.

Capela has really impressed me with his play this offseason. And his defense all the way out to the perimeter. I would love to see a Howard/Capela pairing. On offense, it would have the potential to clog the paint too much (similar to when we tried Howard/Asik). But we would have a much bigger, more athletic frontcourt than GSW and should dominate the boards over them. I think it would be worth trying for small stretches of the game.

But no way, no way, no way, would I put Jones or Smith at the 3. No way. Did you watch Josh Smith in Detroit?

If we are going with a big lineup, I would much rather something like this:

Howard
    Capela
    Ariza
    Brewer
    Harden

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Because there is no floor spacing at all. Because neither are great free throw shooters. Because even for the supposed defensive advantage, you are still talking about at least one guy who is playing "out of position" on the perimeter.

I wouldn't mind seeing it... but I'm not sure that now is the time to "test it out".

I think the playoffs are about adjustments at the edges, and then when it is a "big" adjustment, it is something like switching Jones/Smith starting spots.

This is actually what has impressed me the most about McHale this post-season. His rotations and adjustments have been surprisingly amazing. The time-outs during runs has been hit or miss, but even with that its more about trusting his players, which has at least got them to this point.

For game 3, I think the adjustments will be on the edge again. Perhaps more trapping of the ballhandler type stuff.

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

That's what she said.

10. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

I'd love to see Capela and Howard on the floor together... next season. They've never been on the floor at the same time and in practice are guarding each other rather than playing with each other.

I'd be fine rolling out

Harden
    Ariza
    Smith
    TJ
    Dwight

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Harden usage goes to 100%, which has been the case as of late with great success. If they trap him, just got to trust your teammate to make the right decision. Ariza, Smith, Jones, Brewer is capable enough to play 4 on 3.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Brewer is one of the worst defensive player ever (ok, I'm overstating). He gamble and get lost to back cuts numerous times. If he can stay discipline, sure. With him in, he should be guarding Curry and Ariza fall back to Thompson, Harden on Barnes.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Last two games, Green has avg 7.5 assists/gm, most I think comes when we try to run a double at him or Howard comes over and try to block him. Capela would erase most of that.

We didn't have that big of a problem scoring as a team when we played Twin Tower last year and that's with a much less mobile Asik with butter fingers and 2" vertical. Heck, I think we scored over 120 pts in at least one game with Asik / Howard in the starting line-up. Our problem is never O with Harden, the de-facto PG. This big lineup wouldn't change that a bit, except increase his usage. Our problem has been and continue to be on the defensive end.

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You have to have another ball handler to give Harden at least a safety valve. That's why teams never play one handler and 4 bigs. You can't do that for more than a few possessions. The defense is going to kill you.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Problems :
    No floor spacing and clogging of the lines.
    Capela will have quick fouls guarding Green.
    Harden needs to guard the 3( Iggy, Barnes) not Thompson

17. malakas

malakas Member

Twin Towers don't work most times and even if they work with Capela-Howard in the future, which I seriously doubt it is NOT the time to experiment in this in the conference finals. It takes a lot of practice from both bigs to pull it off.