1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Go After LaMarcus Aldridge?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Comic Book Nerd, May 1, 2015.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Aldridge would be far better than T-Jones or D-Mo, but of course the questions are A)does he even wanna be here and B)what would it take to get him? I have no interest in gutting the team in order to pull off a sign-and-trade and that may be necessary just to get the salaries to match.

I'm not opposed at all to moving T-Jones or D-Mo this offseason(assuming Smith resigns), but why not package one of them along with other assets for a point guard? That's really what this team needs more than anything unless Morey thinks Bev is the long-term answer(and please God, let that not be the case).

2. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, you and me are the same page on this one, but it is not a pipe dream for Aldridge. If the rockets are going to play well in next series, then Aldridge will see a good future here, but if we suck again, current Chris Bosh is not interested in.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think this offense and defense would be better with Paul Milsap.

That should be the guy the Rockets go after.

Retain Smith and send Jones/Dmo via package deal for an upgrade at PG.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets would need to clear nearly $19 million in cap room in order to sign Aldridge outright in free agency to a max deal this summer.

If they were to do a sign-and-trade for Aldridge (assuming that Aldridge would get the same exact max deal he could get above), the Rockets would have to EITHER (A) trade out nearly $14 million in outgoing salary and not have that trade push the Rockets above the luxury tax threshold (currently projected at $81.6 million); OR (B) trade out approximately $15-16 million. Either way, the Rockets would then be HARD-CAPPED at the apron level (currently projected at $85.6 million).

Bottom line: It'll be really tough to get Aldridge.

1 person likes this.
  5. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

LMA would considerably help extend Dwight's career as a star player. Dwight could afford to be on the "Wade schedule" with LMA splitting time at the 5.

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I would throw 2 first-rounders including the Pelicans selection if a sign-and-trade was on the table.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I disagree.

LMA is in a unique situation where the first year of a new contract will have little bearing on the overall amount of dollars earned playing for his next team, with the cap exploding. The Rockets could very easily scrounge up 10 million dollars in cap space, which might serve as a decent floater payment before a 4 year deal under the new cap figures.

I drew up some of the possible scenarios and the payment amounts:

[​IMG]

It really is going to come down to what Aldridge wants and how creative you can get with the contracts. If he only wants the money, then Portland is his best option, no question. But if he wants to come home to Texas and still earn a ton of money, the Rockets can easily find a way to make it happen.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

What you say is logical. I was basing my comment on a rumor that he wanted to return to Texas and preferred Dallas. Now the rumor is San Antonio. Who knows? His best bet is to probably stay in Portland.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if blazers dont re-sign lma and wanan compete then they'd have to make a whole new team. i dunno why they'd do that when they can lock up lma and offer him the most money. they still got dame and batum on contract next season.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

He shoot long 2's. Does not fit Morey :)

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

His agent is just planting seeds at this point, no one plays their cards this early unless they've already decided

12. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

spurs will get him way before us. i think we would be second choice. who wouldnt want to play for pap?

13. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Someone who doesn't want to deal with pap and Duncan retiring a year after he gets there

14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

He's not dumb, he knows the spurs organization can and will build around him. theres obvious potential in leonard, along with alridge, they could bring in another person easily and have a big 3 if they wanted, or they could just work with what they have and have a great coach.

If i was him, all bias aside i would pick SA, and then houston, then dallas.

15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

This is true, LMA is one of the best rebounding PFs and is an underrated shot blocker/rim protector.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This teams needs a pg, not a pf at this point.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The Spurs are the Spurs primarily because of Tim Duncan. Since he was drafted he, Shaq, Kobe and LeBron have won like 90% of the titles. Players like that aren't easy to acquire, especially not to a market like SA.

18. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

He's nearing 30 and has a history of hip problems. We already have Dwight who has to dial it back during the regular seasons. Not interested personally. I like Morey's team-building practices.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

srs i dont wanna big 3. u ddont need it to win big. we have a perfect pf/c rotation and a good core. all rockets need is a starting quality pg and a good shooter, assuming ariza keeps up his terrible shooting. if the pg is a good shooter then thats two problems solved.

after harden rockets have no one in that area. everyone else is average or below. terry cant do it for more than 20mpg unless its the playoffs. contenders always have more than one good shooter, esp if one of them is your best player. once that's done just fill out the roster.