1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Go After LaMarcus Aldridge?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Comic Book Nerd, May 1, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Everybody says that, Melo also said his main priority is winning then he went up and signed a megadeal super max with the Knicks. Portland can technically offer LMA the most money but will they do that and offer him a Chris Bosh level contract? Portland might just want to offer him a 3 year max deal and see what happens after, I don't know if LMA will bite on that if it happens.

On the other hand Dallas is desperate for a guy to build on in the post Dirk era, I'm pretty sure Cubes will throw everything he can along LMA's way. Plus, the Mavs have a lot of caproom, they can probably sign LMA and then trade for a pg like Lawson or Lowry since the Nuggs are rebuilding and the Raps just flamed out.

And if I were LMA, I'd go to Dallas, it's closer to my kid living in San Antonio and Dallas has top flight facilities and a history of competing deep into the playoffs. They even have playstations in the lockers! On the other hand Portland is owned by a stingy owner who was one of the loudest voices asking for more $$$ during the NBA collective bargaining agreement. There's also no state income taxes and better weather in Texas...so yeah I can definitely see LMA moving to Dallas if the situation is right and the $$$ add up.

2. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Just so you're aware of the consequences of such a move:

We already know that Josh Smith was brought in for help, but also to appease Dwight. James and Dwight are cool, but not close.

The minute you take Dwight/Josh off the roster, you're going to have a rift of some sort.

Josh has play exceptionally for us, arguably winning some of our playoff games.

He's paid his dues.

With that said, I LOVE LaMarcus' game. I just realize that chemistry is important, and we are going to be messing with something that we haven't had in years. We didn't have chemistry until this year. Our chemistry with Jeremy Lin was horrendous.

The last great chemistry year was with Yao/RonRon (i miss you)/ AB/KL etc...

If LaMarcus comes here, one of Josh or Dwight will be gone. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Dwight does so much more than he's given credit for. On the defensive end, with rebounds and rim protection, I can't name a better player right now. Truly.

Even injured, I'm comfortable with Dwight grabbing every rebound. LaMarcus isn't that player. He is a scorer, but we already have James.

I'd rather us go after a legitimate wing and PG. Josh Smith deserves a contract and I'm hoping our brother(s) finally come home.

For the cheap, Brandon Bass/Carly Landry would also be ideal for the pick and pop.

THen, you have to remember the legend in the making in DMo. He'll be back. How would he fit with LaMarcus? I don't think he would be here.

I was wrong about DMo and with his age and potential, I don't know if I'd give him up just yet for LaMarcus.

If you follow the Spurs' philosophy, they keep their core in order to continue chemistry. We need this core, yes, even Jet. I think we even need Trevor to recover from an adjustment year.

The main priority is an upgrade or help at the PG spot (Brooks would still be an upgrade, too) and another athletic, big who can score from everywhere.

Look for Broncos Country when it all implodes. We're picking up their trash and turning it into treasure, from what I've been told.

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I definitely think he'll go to San Antonio. Duncan will retire after this season (imo, very likely) and Aldridge will step right in and take his place.

4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Lawson would be AMAZING and he has made it public that he wants to be in Texas (he was talking about Dallas but they don't have any assets to get him).

In terms of the Aldridge pipedream, I think a sign and trade involving Ariza or JET or Bev/TJones/Capela or DMO/Kpap/picks isn't out of the realm of possibility. We would still be able to re-sign Smith and Brewer after the fact. Would be a doozy of a trade to arrange but if Aldridge indicates he wants Houston, I am very sure that Morey will do whatever it takes to make that happen

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Does jet even want to play next year? i've gotten the feeling that he doesn't, sure he'd probably let himself get s&t'd to retire, but im not so sure he wants another year in the nba

6. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

If I were him I'd weigh SA way more heavily than Dallas. Parker and Manu are on their last legs too but Leonard and him would probably form the best forward tandem in the west.

Either is kind of a nightmare for us. I'm hoping for a long playoff drought for the Spurs the day Duncan retires.

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

It has already been talked in other threads, the rockets are interested in him as being speculated. It is hard to image that Morey is not interested in when he tried so hard to get Bosh last year. If the rockets are going to play well next series, the chance to get him is getting high. A trade with Portland is good for Aldridge as well as for the both teams instead of simply letting him go to Spurs. As for Mavs, almost no chance, Aldridge is not that stupid.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Come on Cat, you are too smart to fall for this every time. :)

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I'd rather the Rockets beat the Spurs or the Clippers in the 2nd round first

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's assets for a player they'd be losing for nothing. Moreover, should Aldridge leave, they'd need a mini-rebuild of sorts, anyway -- so the optimal fit with the current Portland roster isn't likely going to drive their decisions. Could they use Ariza themselves? Maybe, maybe not. But his declining contract over multiple years -- all with the salary cap and player salaries about to explode -- is a significant asset, and even if Portland doesn't need/want Ariza themselves, they can trade him elsewhere for more picks.

Package would be something likes Jones/D-Mo, Ariza, the non-guaranteeds (K-Pap/Prigioni) and draft picks/prospects. It's absolutely a realistic package, if Portland fears Aldridge could walk to San Antonio or somewhere else and leave them with nothing in return.

11. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

He wants to play.

Always with a grain of salt from me so I don't get destroyed, Morey wants Jet back in a backup role.

As I've mentioned before, Jet is one of our most vocal leaders in the locker room.

He's won tough series and a championship.

He has the leadership we need to continue growing.

I'm hearing that Pablo will be gone, but most of you saw that already. I love the guy, but we need youth and possibly the return of Bev and our brother(s).

12. The Cat

There was plenty of evidence to suggest Carmelo Anthony was much more about business than basketball. That's not the case with Aldridge. And yes, Portland is going to offer Aldridge the full max, on any terms he chooses -- especially with the cap about to explode. The idea that they're just going to let their franchise player walk, all out of a very small market where luring a replacement star would be extremely difficult, is just silly.

Your "history of competing deep into the playoffs" argument? Uh, OK. The Mavs in the past 3 years have been bounced in the 1st round twice as 7/8 seeds and missed the playoffs altogether in the other season. You have to go back 4+ years to find any sort of significant success. Welcome to the argument the Lakers used on Dwight Howard in July 2013 -- tell me, how'd that work out?

P.S. If Aldridge is worried about his kid in San Antonio, there's a team in that very city that's in a much better position to win than the Mavs. The Rockets are also closer to San Antonio and in much stronger position to contend.

P.P.S. Tell me, what assets does Dallas have to land a Lawson or Lowry via trade? They don't even have their own 2016 draft pick (to Boston thanks to the Rondo trade). Is it a maxed-out Chandler Parsons coming off microfracture surgery? I'm sure that's going to have real value. :rolleyes: Those players may be available, sure -- just like Lawson was technically "available" at the trade deadline. However, the asking price is going to be very high, and the Mavs have zero shot at even being in the ballgame.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Morey's already off the Llull train? I woulda thought they'd add a Spanish speaker or two as third stringers for him.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

(applause)

15. The Cat

I was replying to the idea that we "know nothing" and that it's "only speculation". That's not really true at all. There has been tons of informed chatter, including from Aldridge himself, that indicates that he's open to leaving Portland. How much weight you put on it is certainly fair to debate, but it would be putting your head in the sand to act like there hasn't been ample discussion from relevant parties.

P.S. When exactly have I "fallen for this" before? I don't think I predicted Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh as coming here.

16. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

FIFY ;) :grin: :eek: :cool: :p

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Spurs > Rockets > Dallas

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sigh, can't go 4 days after our first round win without talking about Roster Moves.

Say it with me. Moratorium

GO ROCKETS!

19. Nook

Nook Member

San Antonio and Houston would both be a better fit for him than the Blazers. He would be back in Texas and he would be on elite teams. The Spurs would potentially be absolutely stacked..... good luck stopping a front court of Duncan/Aldridge/Leonard. If Aldridge goes to the Rockets, he would get a tremendous amount of open shots and would be able to pace himself.

He really could be the domino that decides the power structure in the NBA next year if he ends up in Hou or SA.

20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

In your opinion, who's a Rocket next year?: Deron Williams or Ty Lawson