1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gmail Verfication Alert-- Scam?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Dec 22, 2010.

1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

lol just got this email from "gmail" and attatched was a txt file.... the txt file says:

Google rarely contacts Gmail users via email, but we are making an exception to let you know that due to malicious attacks on our database, We have decided to upgrade our database system with enhanced security and as a result of this security upgrade, we require you to verify your Information. Failure to verify your information might result in account suspension. Please click the reply button and fill the below spaces as requested. Learn more.

Full-Name:
    Email :
    Password:

Kindly help us with the verification process by filling the details above so as to make a correspondence with your details stored in our database.By clicking your reply button..

Our Agent in charge will update your account has soon has we have your Details requested

This mandatory announcement was sent to all Gmail users

Gmail Registration Services®.

-------------------------------------

the email addy it was mailed from was goot7561@gmail.com

Should I alert gmail about this?

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It's a conspiracy!

Seriously though, that is obviously fraudulent. A text file? Improper grammar? Random capitalization?

Did you really have to ask?

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I've never seen a valid request like this from any company that requires you to provide information like this to verify anything. It's always a phishing scam.

I would never do it and anyone who does do it is an idiot.

4. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sounds legit to me. I would give them all the info they're asking for. You don't want your account to be suspended, after all.

6. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

I received the same email. I made sure to send all my information as soon as possible; I didn't want my account suspended. They then sent a nice follow-up email thanking me for the quick response and even let me in on an issue they were dealing involving the Nigerian Royal Family. All in all I would say I was pleased with the outcome.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You are either insanely stupid or a troll. I'm beginning to think it is both.

8. Prince

Prince Member

I don't email. I always call.

9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

The inability to realize this is a scam, combined with a conviction in conspiracy theories...let's just say it's all starting to make more sense.

11. Turpis

Turpis Member

ToyCen what's your mail, i have some Nigerian ties i can hook you up for some nice couple of millions $$$...

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

ToyCen, I'll do you a huge favor. Just email me all the contact info they're looking for AND your credit card numbers. Might want to throw in your SS # just in case. I'll "protect" them for you.

13. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

lol this was really just to see if anyone else got this email also..... I would never give out any information like this... anywho, you guys find the corkiest things to be serious.

[​IMG]

14. PointForward

PointForward Member

Dude I got the same email, it is 100% legit. I was worried a bit because I didn't want my email suspended. I have a bunch of really important things in my email inbox and I can't afford to not be able to access it. I have order receipts, school records confirmations, and most importantly I have all the information in my correspondence with the Nigerian prince who will be sending me 15% of his fortune. I've been waiting on that for a good 3 months.

15. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Bro you should really double check and make sure you sent your SS# and Bank Account. If the #'s are messed up he might not be able to process his inheritance.

I know I ran into the same problem with a relative who was coordinating funds of an East African prince too.

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Your account could get suspended? That's nothing. If I don't give the princess of Algeria my credit card number, how can she access her money from the Royal Bank of Scotland? If she doesn't get that inheritance money, the janjaweed will surely kill her!