1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GM Rick Smith Guest Writer for MMQB (CNNSI)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by macho GRANDE, Jul 11, 2011.

1. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sidenote off-topic fyi: Rick Smith coming up next on 1560.

3. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Forget his failures in FA and forget rumors of his reputation amongst certain players.

LEGOLAND?!

REALLY?!

That places sucks harder than a Hoover. Dollar for dollar, the single worst "amusement" park I've ever been to. My kids hated it, too. I've given him the benfit of the doubt for far too long. After this debacle, I have serious questions about his judgement.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rick Smith on 1560:

Tried to have fun with it.

What did you hope to accomplish with MMQB?

Friday afternoon, I got a call, SI had given Foxworth to do it from a players perspective so we got the call Friday asking us if I wanted to do it, I said sure. I wanted to model it after the way Peter writes. More a conversational column in my opinion. Did what they wanted and shed light from our perspective. Also wanted to talk about our team and issues we face here in Houston and things weve gone through and things we expect. Havent seen it yet. What do you guys think?

Interesting. Have lockout issues you cant talk about. In your opinion, will FAs be better off because of shortened signing period or guys will get less? What will it do to market?

No crystal ball to give you an answer. As you look back historically, few guys end up with mega deals, some with medium deals and then guys looking for an opportunity. I dont see that changing a lot this year.

I think teams will freak out. Might over offer on the big guys. I think teams will overpay for the big guys.

I dont disagree. Will be important you set your values and what you think the value should be for a contract. Teams will panic and do bad deals. In salary cap era, gotta be careful with your contracts or could hurt you for years.

We talked briefly weeks ago about contigency plans. One is, you got not only the transition to the 3-4, need to sign UDFA, FAs and rookie contracts. You cant do all of that. How will you break that up?

Will be a significant amount of delegating. We got plans. Assigned the members of our personnel department to do some of that-- who to go after and have dollar ammounts assigned. I will obviously be involved with the amount of deals to get done. We got a game plan for it. Will be some delegating. I cant do it all.

Coaching changes - making one on D. It will probably be easier than anyone else making a coaching change.

I cant speak for anyone else but I have confidence in our ability to get it done. Wade knows how to put the system in place. They know how to teach it and get players up to speed quickly.

So many guys moving positions. Is that a concern?

Its the reality. We're aware of that, and you better turn your attention to it. You're right that we got flux, change and transition. Guys will have to be focused on what were saying and teaching them. Guys will have to learn. We'll have to count on guys playing new positions but I believe in the guys teaching it. Believe the guys are smart to learn it and play.

One thing I think has been discussion with Texans fans, is the unwillingness to get a big 320+ pound two in there. More about speed or quickness than its been size. Can you discuss that? Organization philosophy on that?

Matter of choice from what th D coordinators wanted. We did draft Okam who was 350 pounds on a good day. What we looked for were guys who had movement and could stunt and slant and play on their feet. Thats what we were focused on. Mentioned Wade playing variety of guys at the nose-- big and small. I think previously what we looked for, that type of player(320+ lbs) didnt fit.

All of the changes and offseason scrutiny has been on D. Offense has been good but had its limitations. Bunch of games you were well behind. Do you think you will go after firepower on O?

Cant be complacent on any phase of our team. Gotta get better all across the board. Cant say because we had one of the best O, we wont/cant improve.

Do you think about the PR? Fan base has been tremendous. Is there value in making a splash?

Number one, we gotta do the right thing for our team and organization. If that means big name FA and people get excited, thats just a bonus. If we do the right thing now, maybe fans wont be excited now but if results in wins later on and achieving our goal, everyone will be happy. Smart decisions will be what helps us win.

Does Mario being FA next year play into this offseason?

Multi-layer complex situation. Working through your salary cap and player acquisitions, all those things are considerations. Some ways we can work and be creative and get the things done we need to get done. We're anxious to get started.

On O, from your perspective, how do you add level of consistency? Where you dont have those lulls from half to half?

Gary has done great job of identifying things we have fallen short of.(Mentions RZ problems). Go back over the years, things we needed to improve on, Gary has been successful improving that.

Ben Tate part of the plans this year? Where is he health wise?

Cant interact from rehab standpoint but can talk to doctors. My understanding is hes doing great and healthy. Excited to see him. Worked hard over the season in rehab and think hes healthy.

Any progress with Foster on contract?

Havent negotatied anything with Foster yet.

Wrote about a safety that I would like for you guys to look at. Dont think you have put a high priority on safety. One things missing on D is leadership. DeMeco tries to bring that. Maybe leadership from secondary something could help.

I'll go read your piece and see who that guy is. You're talking to a former safety. Naturally, it lends some leadership. Got some good leaders. I love leadership. Important to me. Never can have too many leaders. Leadership is action. How you go about your business, how you practice, and ultimately how you perform on the field.

Good to add a guy from winning organization then? Something you guys look at?

When you look at a guy, any number of variables in that decision. How he performs, how he fits, how is he in the lockerroom, does he come from winning org? Yes, we consider all that.

Appreciate the time. ... Wanted to give you the opportunity --anything to say regarding what Ahman Green or Marcus Coleman had to say?

This business people will have...its a public job. People will have opinions. Thats apart of it. They're well within their rights. We know what we're doing and we're focused on building a winning team.

Bunch of rain drops out there. Hope you dont get too wet. ... Best of luck Rick.

Appreciate it guys.