1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Globe] Houston May Have A Problem (wow - that's orginal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/03/18/houston_may_have_a_problem/

Houston may have a problem
    Streaking Rockets take on NBA's best

By Marc J. Spears
    Globe Staff / March 18, 2008

SAN ANTONIO - Paul Pierce is looking forward to enjoying a rare night when the target isn't on his team's back.

The Rockets hope to extend their winning streak to 23 games when they face the Celtics tonight at the Toyota Center in Houston. Only the 1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers, winners of 33 straight games, have won more regular-season NBA games in a row.

With the league's best record, the Celtics will bring a stiff challenge to the hot Rockets for this nationally televised contest (TNT).

"That's an impressive streak that they got going, really," said Pierce, who scored a team-high 22 points in last night's 93-91 win over the Spurs. "It seems like for once the target is going to be on the other team's back now. When you see a team do such an incredible feat, you think, 'Hey, you don't want them to do it on us.'

"There is going to be a lot of hype around the game. You got the team with the best record playing a team that is doing something that hasn't been done in a while."

Ex-Lakers star Gail Goodrich is confident the Rockets won't break the record win streak that he was a part of; in fact, he wouldn't be surprised if it ended tonight.

"I've said this all along: The streak won't get broken," said Goodrich, now an analyst for NBATV. "The Rockets are playing outstanding, obviously. But this week we will find out how good they are.

"They have been playing great defense and they have very good scorers. They face a very good Boston team."

Rockets star Tracy McGrady, when asked about the streak possibly ending tonight, told the Houston Chronicle: "We don't worry about what everybody says. We have a winnable ballgame to play. We all understand they are the best team in the East, the first team in the league to 50 wins.

"It's a winnable game for us. It's going to be a challenge. It's going to be a tough game for us. But we're capable of winning it."

Allen still out

Celtics guard Ray Allen missed his second straight game with a left ankle injury that is expected to keep him out tonight, too. He sustained the injury Friday night against Utah and didn't feel comfortable returning to action following a workout prior to last night's game.

Coach Doc Rivers said Allen could return Thursday at Dallas.

"He's obviously day-to-day," Rivers said. "He shot and just didn't feel great. The one thing you always kick yourself is, should he have shot at all? You just don't know because it's a bruise.

"We want him back. It's nothing serious, obviously. We just want it to heal 100 percent."

Extra points

The Nuggets had one of the most impressive scoring performances in NBA history Sunday when they racked up 168 points against the Sonics. But the best performance in NBA history (for a regulation game) still belongs to the 1958-59 Celtics, who scored 173 points at Minneapolis - without the 3-pointer.

Phoenix also scored 173 points against Denver on Nov. 10, 1990, but that was with a 3-point line.

During Boston's 173-point game, Tommy Heinsohn scored a game-high 43 points and Bob Cousy added 31 points and 28 assists. Those Celtics scored 52 points in the fourth quarter, had four players score at least 20, made 47 free throws, and shot 50.4 percent from the field.

"The funny part about that game when we scored 173 points is that [Bill ] Russell didn't play in the game," said Heinsohn, a longtime TV analyst. "He was hurt. Gene Conley took his place. We had many games with 40-point quarters and 80 halves back then.

"The other funny part about it was then-NBA commissioner Maurice Podoloff was going to have the game investigated. He couldn't believe any team could score that much. It was a complete up-and-down game."

Pierce expressed his admiration.

"That goes to show you there was no defense played back then," Pierce said. "It must have been one pass, then a shot, had to be. You had to have some talented players to be able to do that.

"I don't care what era it is. You've got to be able to have some guys that can put the ball in the hole just because of the time on the clock and the possessions. They didn't turn the ball over. With no 3-point shot, you definitely didn't turn the ball over."

2. liangqj

liangqj Member

Both Houston and Celtics have the chance to win the game.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i think the rockets should just not show up. travel early and get ready for the road trip.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, it's basically a 2-team race. I don't think any other team has any shot of getting a W in this one.

5. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

Oh I get it. NASA. Wow, Those guys are so smart.

6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I concur. I get the feeling that this will be one of those classic matchups, where the team that scores the most points by the end of the game will be the victor...

7. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

Going to be a great game to witness...

History in the making, #1 v #1, best record vs. hottest streak, two great defenses, streetball legend, 13 points in 35 seconds, the truth, the big ticket, possibly return of Landry?, euroleague MVP, Texas triangle, home court advantage, batman on pierce... best game of the year IMHO.

:cool:

8. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I hope they ran out of some gas trying to come back from a 22 point deficit against SAS last night.

9. Classic

Classic Member

I hope Landry is back tonight but since I havent' seen anything to suggest otherwise, guess I'll have to wait. I miss seeing that dude throw down 3 dunks a game. :(

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Tipjar bet? I think the Mavs win this one after T-Mac and Garnett choke in the final four minutes of the game.

11. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

It could also be one of those strange unheard of games where the team with less points lose the game, although i wouldn't count out a third wheel team from making a strong push a.k.a. Miami

12. onethreeeleven

Astros for the win.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Wow...do they basically take something that is happening in the NBA currently/recently and find some way some current or past team did something better or different, then right about that team and those players? I guess that's what they've had to do for the last 15+ years because the Celtics have sucked so bad...

14. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

wow. do their announcers write their articles? some of the worst homer announcers are from Boston. Time to make them STFU.

15. startover

startover Member

LOL, can we really do that? That would be fun!

16. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

what makes me sick is that they will say the Rockets don't have a chance.. yet when they win.. it will be because of the BTB or Ray Allen being out. Book it.

17. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

that's a bold statement... how do you plan on backing up your words?

18. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

We got some regular Marv Alberts among us.

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Not sure if that was sarcasm but Im hoping it was

20. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

if battier can limit kobe bryant then he will take out paul pierce the 1/2 superstar. Rafer and rondo is pretty even matchup. So we only got KG to deal with, but I believe in our string of undersized powerfowards who plays more with their IQ and brainpower than physicial ability.