1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Global Poll: Kerry in a Landslide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Remember Afghanistan? The first Gulf War? The French headline after 9/11 that read, "We Are All Americans?" How better to win the "War on Terror" than to bring the force of all civilized nations to bear on it? How best to unite the world in this effort, as they were as recently as Afghanistan?

The world has spoken. Elect John Kerry.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto..._alt_afp/us_vote_poll_bush_kerry_040908164913

Global survey shows 30 of 35 countries want Kerry in White House

1 hour, 43 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A majority of people in 30 of 35 countries want Democratic party flagbearer John Kerry (news - web sites) in the White House, according to a survey released showing US President George W. Bush (news - web sites) rebuffed by all of America's traditional allies.

On average, Senator Kerry was favored by more than a two-to-one margin -- 46 percent to 20 percent, the survey by GlobeScan Inc, a global research firm, and the local University of Maryland, showed.

"Only one in five want to see Bush reelected," said Steven Kull, the university's program on international policy attitudes. "Though he is not as well known, Kerry would win handily if the people of the world were to elect the US president."

The only countries where Bush was preferred in the poll covering a total of 34,330 people and conducted in July and August were the Philippines, Nigeria and Poland.

India and Thailand were divided.

The margin of error in the survey covering all regions of the world ranged from plus or minus 2.3 to five percent.

Kerry was strongly preferred among all of America's traditional allies, including Norway (74 percent compared with Bush's seven percent), Germany (74 percent to 10 percent), France (64 percent to five percent), the Netherlands (63 percent to six percent), Italy (58 percent to 14 percent) and Spain (45 percent to seven percent).

Even in Britain, where Prime Minister Tony Blair (news - web sites) is Bush's closest ally in the war on terror, Kerry trounced the incumbent 47 percent to 16 percent.

Kerry was also greatly favored among Canadians by 61 percent to Bush's 16 percent and among the Japanese by 43 percent to 23 percent.

Even among countries that have contributed troops to Iraq (news - web sites), most favored Kerry, and said that their view of US foreign policy has gotten worse under Bush.

They included Britain, the Czech Republic, Italy, the Netherlands, the Dominican Republic, Thailand, Kazakhstan, Japan, Norway and Spain.

Asked how President Bush (news - web sites)'s foreign policy had affected their feelings towards the United States, a majority of those polled in 31 countries said it made them feel "worse" about America, while those in only three countries said it had made them feel "better."

"Perhaps most sobering for Americans is the strength of the view that US foreign policy is on the wrong track, even in countries contributing troops in Iraq," said GlobeScan President Doug Miller.

In Europe, the exception for Bush was a new ally, Polland, where he was preferred by a narrow majority of 31 percent against Kerry's 26 percent.

Another new European ally, the Czech Republic, however went for Kerry (42 percent to Bush's 18 percent) as did Sweden (58 percent to 10 percent).

Asia was the most mixed region, though Kerry still did better. Aside from enjoying a large margin in Japan, he was preferred by clear majorities in China (52 percent to Bush's 12 percent) and Indonesia (57 percent to 34 percent).

But those polled were divided in India (Kerry 34 percent, Bush 33 percent) and Thailand (Kerry 30 percent, Bush 33 percent).

Latin Americans went for Kerry in all nine countries polled. In only two cases did Kerry win by a large majority -- Brazil (57 percent to 14 percent) and the Dominican Republic (51 percent to 38 percent) -- but in most cases the spread was quite wide.

Bush was preferred in Nigeria with 33 percent as compared to Kerry's 27 percent but the Democratic candidate was favored in five other African states polled -- Kenya (58 percent to 25 percent), Ghana (48 percent to 24 percent), Tanzania (44 percent to 30 percent), South Africa (43 percent to 29 percent) and Zimbabwe (28 percent to six percent).

Strongest negative views on US foreign policy were held in Germany, with 83 percent of those polled saying "worse" followed by France (81 percent), Mexico (78 percent), China (72 percent), Canada (71 percent), Netherlands ( 71 percent), Spain (67 percent), Brazil (66 percent), Italy (66 percent), Argentina (65 percent) and Britain (64 percent)

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Hmmmm. I guess when Kerry said a few months ago that quite a few leaders of foreign countries wanted him to win, he wasn't kidding after all. Can't say that I blame them. They want somebody they can work with, rather than somebody who dictates to them.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

That won't affect the outcome at all, and I already know what is going to happen in this thread, so I'm making a break for it now.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

True and true

5. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Member

I wish we lived in a day when we could challenge these countries to a duel.

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

I know what's going to happen too, but the usual suspects can't pin this on French sissies anymore. Every one of our major allies wants Bush out. It's not even close. Each of these countries has a vested interest in fighting terrorism -- they believe Bush is wrong in his approach. This isn't about strength versus weakness. We are stronger united than divided. Bush has divided us from our allies and we need them back to win. Elect Kerry and they will be back. And we will be stronger for it.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Me too. Then we could send Zell Miller out there to represent us and watch somebody blast a couple o'caps in his narrow ass!

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

I can't think of a more irrelevant statistic. Thanks, BJ.

I already knew Kerry wanted to let the rest of the world decide on our matters of self defense. I guess he's just delivering on his promises to worldwide voters.

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

This kind of thinking is how we can lose the 'war on terror.' Thanks for going on record to say what the world -- what our allies -- think of us is the most irrelevant thing you can imagine. It really is amazing.

10. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Member

"The world will be policed collectively or it will not be policed at all." - Hendrick Hertzberg Sept. 18 2001

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

You mean people are actually going to disagree?!? The horror!!

Personally, this doesn't make any difference to me. Call me cynical, but I really don't think many of these countries have our best interest in mind.

Besides, as has been stated many times before, the only poll that matters is the one on Nov 2nd......the one taken in America.

12. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Member

Bullies don't need a consensus.

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Where does this story say leaders want kerry. It says people.

I want for all foreign countries to send me their cold beer, hot women and money. Whose with me? If we vote on it, it will definetely happen, the rest of the world will have to listen! it's a poll!

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

If you showed those worldwide voters the platforms of each candidate, Kerry would NOT win. Nader would.

I guess if you are a liberal nowdays, this is the only poll you can find with Kerry ahead. Pretty sad actually.

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

That's it...I'm first on the bandwagon....

VOTE 4CHUCKIE FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!

We may lose the war on terror, but we will have plenty of cold beer, hot women, and money to console ourselves with!

:D

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

:rolleyes:
    Disagreement is a nice euphamism for what I'm talking about.

17. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

Nice distortion. Kerry wants to COOPERATE with the rest of the world, not cede our strategic interests. You need to stop lying about Kerry's plans.

18. Bart_z

Bart_z Member

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

No dice. The PA and FL polls are both Zogby, who has consistently been Democratic in his pollings as compared to other polls. In fact, there are quite a few polls that use Zogby on that map. Nice try there, youngster.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

http://slate.msn.com/id/76221