1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glen Rice Mistake (Re: UNBELIEVABLE!!!)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsauce, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

In response to thread <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38218">UNBELIEVABLE!!!</a>:

Alright, hindsight is 20/20. But I hated this trade when it happenend and I hate it even more now. We're paying Glenn around $9m and if he plays at all, it will be limited. I usually hate it when people bring up old threads like this and I'm sure I'll get the appropriate number of :rolleyes: but I just really wish that Rice wasn't here. This was a lot of money that supposedly didn't matter because we were over the cap anyway. Sure, but if we weren't paying him $9m, we might be more willing and able to find a decent backup SG or possibly even throw some money at Rashard (whwther we need him or not).

I love Rudy and CD and I respect the hell out of Doc and his insights, but I wish I could hit UNDO on this trade.

2. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

You had nothing to do, to hunt down this thread.

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Unbelievable-
    I went to the gym for 2 hours and I come back and see a Doc Rocket post. I could of sworn we signed Rashard. That was evil!:mad:

4. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

No $hit. I am very dissapointed. :(

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I kinda like it when old posts are dredged up. I mean it is annoying BUT... What's really annoying is when people criticize or praise things prematurely ("Nachbar is our SF for the next 15 years" or "Dunleavy will bust"). I'd much prefer we would take a look at some things a year or two ago and say with some finality It is good or It is bad. Now, we've been doing that with Rice over and over, but pulling up an old thread shows where we were back then and where we are now, which makes it a bit more comprehensive in treating the subject.

That said, I think it was still a little premature. I think you should have waited until Rice's first 10 games or so. I'm willing to give him a bye for last season's injury. If he gives us a good season this coming year, I'll think the trade was worth it. If he has another significant injury or does not play a major role on the team, it'll be a bad trade for certain.

I don't think he cost us much, though. There's no salary cap implication, because we'd have been over anyway. I don't think there's a luxury tax implication either because his is a soon expiring contract and might only be taxed a single year, if at all. We didn't lose anyone in trade we wouldn't have lost anyway. We took care of Anderson, as promised, and maintained our reputation among FAs. We stuck hated New York with an even worse contract then they stuck us with. The only thing we lost in the whole deal was (1) Les' money (which I don't care about) and (2) the opportunity to trade Anderson for a different player -- and I don't even know if there were other opportunities out there.

6. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Who is this Rice fellow of whom you refer?

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I fell out of my chair when I saw what I thought was a new Doc Rocket post with over 140 posts in it already... :rolleyes:

Next time just link to it from a new thread or something... Yeesh, I got all happy for nothin'... :)

8. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

At the time that we traded for Rice I thought it was a good trade, but now I am not sure. I think that if we don't get Lewis, then it will still have been a good trade, since Rice will start over Nachbar next season, and can give us veteran leadership, while averaging maybe around 15 points per game. I think that at the time that the Rockets made the trade that it was a great trade, but now since we want Lewis it may not have been good.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Glen Rice is going to average 15 points per game next season right after I grow 8 feet and sprout horns.

He is the DEFINITION of washed up. And the definition of overpaid.

what a colossal failure that trade was. I have no clue what management was thinking. Seems like another Kelvin Cato/Maurice Taylor brain fart.

11. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Sorry. I didn't think about it before I started it :)eek: ). Anyway, I'm glad it kept you on your toes.

I don't think Rice sucks. I'm sure he'll come back very strong. I just don't think this team needs a veteran SF with bad knees and a $9m salary.

Once again. Sorry :D

12. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Rice did help us a lot. He had the pride to get injured again so that he could give us a chance to get Ming and Nachbar.

:D :D :D :D :D

13. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

The guy still has skills. He's not as washed up as everyone thinks he is and all he has to do is find his role. Nachbar isn't ready to contribute big time his first year and it's a good thing we have Rice. Remember Shandon was asking for big money and we didn't want to let him get away for nothing.

14. dave feitl

dave feitl Member

I'm sorry, are you guys saying you would rather have an overpaid SHANDON ANDERSON?

I think Rice will have a decent year, perhaps the best ROLE PLAYER year ever in his career.IMO shooters don't just forget how to shoot(see DAD"S on the driveway).I think he will be productive and I hope he gets so deadly he teaches Steve and Cat the benefits of passing and being a team player.Once his contract is up we will fill that position with another shooter (Boki?) who will reap the benefits of Steve and Cat's maturity and new found respect and trust for their teammates.Hopefully.

I'm more worried about whether Steve and Cat can get Rice involved, than I am about Rice and his potential.I think he's got some left in the tank but will it go to waste like Pippen,Anderson?

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Man, I sure wish we had Shandon Anderson for 7 mill/6 years or however ridiculously long his contract is. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Both guys absolutely suck, however Rice will give us something that Shandon never did, outside shooting. Also, since both guys suck, we get the upper hand seeing how his contract expires before Shandon's.

16. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Geez!! I thought I posted something as well. Boy was I disappointed to learn that I had actually posted nothing!:(

Glen Rice? injury prone?? uhh.....How 'bout that Ming fella??

:D

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

ladies and gentlemen we have a sighting..:cool:

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Doc, since you are checking in, how about a post-summer league recap. Sort of a mid-offseason update.

What are the coaches thinking? How did they feel about the progress of Griff, Tierre, Tito, Oscar, etc? How IS Rice coming along? Any Ming news? Give us something here.

All these speculation posts are killing me. I need some real Rocket news.

Thanking you in advance.