1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Glass Half Full

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Trackwell, Aug 20, 2016.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think you are correct this team not being that much behind last year's team. But I think what he is referring to is that both teams have been flawed with too many holes in the batting order.

That may finally getting helped with the promotion of Bregman, Reed, & Teo as well as signing Gurriel. If they pan out, then sure maybe only 1 or 2 pieces may be needed.

But until the order is more set, this team will still be a "playoff contender" rather than a "championship contender". And

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

How many games better would any team be if the guy who regressed the most didnt, and a guy who wasnt healthy all season had been?

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Well, through 26 starts last year we were 18-8 when Dallas took the hill

This year we are 12-14

If we were the same 18-8, we would be sitting at 77-58 right now, squarely in the wild card spot

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not arguing the math. Just saying any team where you take a Cy Young winner one year and replace him with a average pitcher the next is going to suffer in exactly the same way.

Maybe some of you feel like Keuchel should pitch at a Cy Young level every year from now on. Frankly, last year maybe the outlier in his career, not this one.

Regression and health are two issues that face every team every year. I fail to see the insight in pointing out that that occurred to us this year.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I don't necessarily think Keuchel will be last year's level ever again, but I do think he will be closer to that, than what we have seen this year

I don't think he rebounded well from the extreme heavy load last year.

6. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Definitely This! Order tinkering all season with inconsistent pitching/injuries all season long bell curve...better seasons ahead

7. Major

Major Member

Good question. Who regressed the most on Toronto or Boston or Cleveland or Texas? And how expected was it?

8. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

This team has had a disappointing season and yet we are still right in the mix with a new going super star added to the core. 31 and 10 is still happening. We have so much room to grow. We are making the playoffs. Winning the play in game, winning a series. And when all this happens no one is going to want to face us. There isn't any ace pitchers that really scare me in the AL. They are all in the NL.... 2 games back with plenty of baseball left.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Will need better pitching. Hell, will need a starting pitcher to go at least 5 innings!

10. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

McCullers and now last years CY Young winner are both on the brink of not pitching for the rest of the year. Big blow. If both had been on their A game all year we would probably have the best record in the AL. But that is not reality. People need to step up. Fiers was good tonight. Bregmen is a super star. We have still gone 13 and 4 of late. Big blow today to hear about our ace. I'm upset

11. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Three more wins in a row against the two Best records in the AL. On pace to close out this 750 ball.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

1 person likes this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

From Reddit: AL East is currently in tightest 4-team race in modern (3-division) era

BOS, at 78-61, is only 4 games ahead of the 74-65 NYY. This is the smallest gap between the top 4 teams in a division following play on 9/8 since 1989 when the Central Divisions did not exist. In 1989 the top 4 teams of the 6-team NL East (CHC, STL, NYM, MON) were separated by 3 games. (CHC, leading on 9/8/89, ended up taking the division).

14. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

We are going to win the series tonight. We will win 2 of 3 against rangers. And then we will go on a tear to make the playoffs. Believe

15. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

We have won 6 of 7 again with a cake walk of a schedule left. Losing our 2 best starting pitchers and Bregmen has been really tough, but we are just 1 and half back of a playoff birth. If we end up pulling this off , will any of the three on the DL be able to play come playoff time ? Go Astros

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

McCullers looks like he will be back if they play into October. Keuchel and Bregman are done.

10 games left, 8-2 almost certainly gets them in, 7-3 probably gets them in, 6-4 gives them a chance. Pretty amazing considering the hole they were in and the players on the DL.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wrong thread

#78 Plowman, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  19. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I thought I read somewhere that Bregman could be back if we made a deep run in the playoffs?

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We are only one game back of the wild card spot.