1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Glass-Half-Full]Who do you want to face in the first round?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketsFan, Dec 13, 2010.

?

Who do you want to face in the first round?

1. San Antonio Spurs

79 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Dallas Mavericks

53 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Los Angeles Lakers

94 vote(s)
    41.6%
  1. AggieRocketsFan

STANDINGS AS OF 12/13/2010
    HTML:
    1. 	 San Antonio 	-- 
    2. 	 Dallas 	1.0 
    3. 	 LA Lakers 	3.5 
    4. 	 Oklahoma City  4.0 
    5. 	 Utah 	        4.0 
    6. 	 New Orleans 	6.0 
    7. 	 Denver 	6.0 
    8. 	 Portland 	8.5 
    9. 	 Phoenix 	9.0 
    10. 	 Memphis 	10.5 
    11. 	 Houston 	11.0 
    12. 	 Golden State 	12.0 
    13. 	 Minnesota 	14.5 
    14. 	 Sacramento 	14.0 
    15. 	 LA Clippers    16.0
    PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS

• The Spurs, Mavericks, and Lakers are the probable top 3 seeds.

• The Thunder and Jazz should settle in at the 4-5 spots.

• The Hornets are 3-7 in the last 10 games and could continue to struggle, but will still be a playoff team.

• The Nuggets will drop out of the race assuming Carmelo gets shipped out by the deadline.

• The Blazers currently hold the 8th seed with a .500 record (12-12) and Brandon Roy isn't getting any healthier.

• The Suns are a game under .500 and will most likely linger around the 8th seed all year. There's also the possibility that Nash makes an escape, which would send the Suns into rebuild mode. (In my opinion, the Magic need to put up some major assets to pair Howard with Nash and move into a more uptempo style of play.)

• The Grizzlies are still not good enough.

According to Basketball-Reference.com, the Rockets have a 15% chance of making the playoffs and a 0.6% of winning the lottery. The organization has made it clear that the plan hasn't changed and the goal is to make the playoffs. This team needs playoff experience more than it needs a late lottery pick with potential to be a franchise player. Look what AB did with experience from a couple rounds in the playoffs. He came back the next year and earned the MIP award. We need to figure out which players are going to disappear in the post-season and which ones can handle the pressure. Also, if anybody on our team has a breakout performance in the playoffs it could do wonders for their trade value. :grin:

If the Rockets are able to make the playoffs, it will most likely be as an 8 seed, but the 6-8 seeds are really up in the air. We still have 59 games to play and we are only 2.5 games out of the playoffs. With the return of AB and Yao (or 1/2 Yao), we should be able to climb our way back to being a plus .500 team.

Since Portland currently holds the 8th seed with a .500 record, lets assume it only takes 43-48 wins to make the playoffs. This seems like something we could do right? It seems reasonable that we could go 7-2 for the rest of the month which would put us at 16-16. (Assuming the probable losses are at a back-to-back in Oklahoma City and against the Heat in Houston.)

Based on my optimistic predictions, the 6-8 seeds will come down to the Hornets, Blazers, Suns, and Rockets. This would match us up with one of the top 3 seeds and would set up a Thunder-Jazz series.

So which team would you prefer to face in the first round: Spurs, Mavericks, or Lakers?

I would like to go up against another Texas team, but I feel like the opportunity for an upset might be best against the Lakers. I realize the chances of advancing to the second round are slim-to-none, but we always give L.A. a run for their money.

Plus,
    [​IMG]

AggieRocketsFan

1 person likes this.
  2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

realistically I don't think we could beat any of them in a series, but of them, the lakers would be the hardest, Kobe would simply will them past us if the chance to win comes up, something i don't think either of the other 2 have.

That being said, a good showing against the lakers would give the team way more than the other 2 would confidence wise so...

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Spurs. Brooks can matchup against Parker (neither can stop the other). Yao can matchup against Duncan (both past their prime). Martin and Battier can do a passable job against Jefferson and Manu. We're closer to the Spurs level than the Lakers and Mavs level imo.

4. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Battier is the only person who can stop kobe. So Lakers first round :D

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

The Spurs are on pace for 70 wins... No.

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i don't think we'd beat any of them in a 7 game series, but i voted for the mavs because they have choking in their blood.

7. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Nice thread, dude! I'd prefer the Spurs. Dallas and LA will create more mismatches for us, IMO.

8. HOUSTONROCKETS5

**** the playoffs ....

we benefit more from going to the lottery, and start to rebuild...

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p3-eavMSBnk?hd=1" frameborder="0"></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  10. makman

makman Member

hahaha thank u, perfect for the situation too

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

IF we are going to assume playoffs then keep me as far away from the Lakers as possible. I know it's about matchups but I do not want to face the 3-time defending WC champs and 2 time defending NBA champs in the 1st round. Playing them in the semis or WC finals allows for injuries to an older team and mental issues to creep in while winning a 1st round series provides confidence.

I'd take my chances with SA, championship team but much much older and can be had in the right matchup. Dallas worries me but if we can acquire a true starting center or Yao can regain some of his game then we matchup much better then we do now. Give me the sixth seed vs SA and i'd take my chances other then that, I wouldn't be thrilled with our chances in the 8th spot.

12. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

i chose lakers...just because it seems that we play our hardest against them.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its funny... "The Glass is Half Full" thread is the most depressing one I have read in months... 15% chance of making the playoffs and a .6% chance of winning the lottery... For some reason I hear Steelers Wheel's "Stuck in the Middle with You" playing on the radio somewhere.

IF... and its a big IF the Rockets make the playoffs its hard to see them being able to win vs. any of these teams but I believe the best chance would be against San Antonio. The length and size of the other teams would cause all kinds of issues for the Rockets front line.

In the playoffs, the game becomes a half court game and the Rockets just dont have that game without Yao Ming. If Rockets fans believe in miracles then maybe Yao will return to form after February and give the Rockets an edge.

The way the roster is shaping out right now, they much more length and athleticism to compete with any of the contenders listed. We shall see what kind of trade Morey is able to make happen before the trade deadline and see if we are around or above .500 then and then we can really discuss matchups for the first round.

14. Stepping Razor

None of the above lol. But I'd try San Antonio. We match-up pretty well with LA, but I know Kobe, Gasol are just too good, a very deep team. The same goes for Dallas with Dirk and the "Rocket killer", Jason Terry. Obiviously, the Spurs have the best record out of all 3, but I think we have youth on our side and that Scola, Brooks, and Martin would have a feast on them. Ice cream sundae anyone?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

San Antonio for me too, I think the matchups are in our favor.

DD

16. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'd rather we were matched up against San Antonio. Last year, they had a tough time with Phoenix, a team that looked to run, similar to what we'll be trying to do when Yao is on the bench. Of course, San Antonio has pushed the tempo this year, too, and with good results. Manu Ginobili is more deadly than Kobe Bryant. There are some shots that Bryant isn't comfortable with taking that a good defender like Battier can attempt to force Bryant into. Ginobili doesn't have that 'weakness'. He's can hit any shot consistently. There aren't any shots that he is inefficient at making. Other than Ginobili, I think we match up pretty well with the Spurs.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Probably SA... if we play Dallas I'm afraid Jason Terry will score 30 ppg on 102% shooting.

18. gah

gah Member

"Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion."

If we go by that quote you pick the Mavs... but I think they are the worst match up for us, I will too have to say the Spurs.

19. anchel

anchel Member

Still a lot of time til then, teams will change.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Our best shot in the first round would be to draw Oklahoma City.