1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glaring hole at starting SF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 19, 2022.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'd be good with Tari Eason. If he accepts a defense-oriented role, he could be a nice player. He showed a nice improvement in 3-point % this season and is a good FT shooter. The dream is that he develops into a Draymond Green style player who can be a playmaker on offense and a plus plus defender. Eason hasn't shown the same penchant for assists in college that Green showed, although Eason's ballhandling is acceptable for his size and position. Pairing Tari Eason with Josh Christopher could give a nice defensive flavor to the Rockets... which they'll need with Jalen Green and Sengun on the court.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If the Rockets are seriously trying to compete this upcoming season they will make a go at Bamba or another veteran rim protector. If they don’t try and do this, they are sticking to the plan and will be tanking for one more year. Either is ok by me as I see our odds at Victor to be pretty slim, but I also don’t want a stupid max sign like Ayton or Wiggins.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes we have no SF of the future, but there's no reason why that has to or even should be addressed this year, much less in this draft. We are not a meh SF away from anything; it won't make a difference to our season.

#23 Haymitch, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  4. Monkeychef02

Monkeychef02 Member

Eason is a wing, he can defend 1-4

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Dyson Daniels would be an amazing fit at SF for us.

KPJ can guard 2/3, Green can guard 1/2, and Daniels could guard the best assignment out of 1-3 which would create a ton of flexibility for our perimeter defense. We would defend the 3 extremely well. Our interior defense would be suspect with Sengun/Banchero but at least that's 500+lbs to go thru on your way to the basket while being guarded with 3 extremely athletic/fast wing defenders on the way there.

It wouldn't be the "sexiest" defense in terms of box score numbers but I could see it being a really solid one in a couple years just with the ability to defend the 3. One of the sneakiest reason's Golden State has been able to become a great defense is their ability to take away opposing teams 3 ball ability. Which is why CP3s game was the perfect counter to their D, attacking that soft spot in the mid range at high efficiency.

Eason seems like a nice player and maybe even a rich man's Tate but I don't think the fit is super great if we take Banchero. Same thing with Sochan. I think AJ Griffin is a horrendous fit defensively on this team.

And I know some of you guys may roll your eyes but it KMJ projects to be a nearly the perfect SF prospect should we go the Banchero route. A 3 that could help AL-Paolo with rim protection duties would be incredible while being a spot up 3% point threat + roll man in the PnR. Kenyon Martin JR already should high production when being paired next to Sengun. He would be equally exciting next to Banchero.

#25 Bo6, Jun 19, 2022
    MarioKissoDeath and Milos like this.
  6. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I have hope Victor can fill out better then Chet, look at chet's father and honestly I don't see him gaining much weight seeing how his father is still skinny.

7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

If the reports are true and they're looking to add a veteran center to back up Sengun via free agency, I could see them adding two wings to fill that void.

At 17, I think the only way they consider passing on Eason, is if someone unexpectedly drops and the value is too high.

At 26, go Jovic, Baldwin or Brown. Each can play both foward spots. Adding much needed depth to this guard heavy team.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think they'll be drafting two starters without a pretty significant trade up. I'm all for getting a wing, I just think we need to be realistic about expectations. Whoever they are, they are looking at a bench role most likely their rookie season.

red5rocket and CriscoKidd like this.
  9. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I think people are sleeping on KJ Martin - let’s start him this year and develop him instead of Gordon eating up minutes at the 3

Hopefully EG is traded on draft night for a pick next year

KJ averaged 14 pts 8.5 rbs 1.5 assists as a starter last year - KJs rookie year he averaged 19 pts 8.1 rbs 3.5 assists in a larger sample size - he has flashes of defensive potential as well…

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed on the concern with SF. My guess is we’re playing a wait-and-see game with AJ on draft night.

By now we likely have a good idea of how far we can move up with 17+26+filler. If he falls, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the trade up target.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

SO MUCH THIS....not to mention if he is not getting his chance he will leave.

DD

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

I agree and wish one of the top 3 prospects was a better fit as a full time 3 and some 4. Tate(6'4 big body) is better as a high energy small ball 4 off the bench. Not too high on KJ(6'6 short arms 2 guard body) personally but pretty much same as Tate. Redundant. Need true 3's with length and height 6'8 and above. Hell 6'6 - 6'7 is fine with loooong wingspan.
    Eason is still the guy i'm hoping for. Jalen Williams is barely 6'6 in shoes with sold frame, but what he lacks in height for the 3, he makes up for with a massive wingspan at 7'2.25.
    Jovic? Is this dude modern Toni Kukoc? Dieng? Branham? 2 guard size but plays like a 3 on O, but lacks D. Would need a defensive minded point with he and green(KP prob here to stay so not likely unless they see Branham as a yearly SMOTY contender-Jaygup pg? Nix?). There's some chances for a 3 with that mid lottery to our pick. We may not have to move up but i hope we do with the 26.

Please hurry up and get here draft night!

CriscoKidd and palmsnbananas like this.
  13. PatBev

PatBev Member

Harden after he sees KPJ/Green/Paolo/Sengun put up 36 wins this season

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It’s time. KJ is only getting better& he plays hard as hell. Why not? Give him his shot!

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

When I think of an ideal SF, I want someone who can play on both ends of the court, is smart, and has the potential to be a 3-level scorer and can do some playmaking.

The more I watch and read about Jalen Williams https://www.denverstiffs.com/23146556/2022-nba-draft-profile-jalen-williams the more I'm intrigued by his potential. The linked article does a good job of talking about his strengths and weaknesses, watch his videos as well.

His offensive strengths would fit well on any team, but particularly would work well for us. He's an older prospect, but has shown improvement each year in his game and is growing into his body. His insane Wingspan: 7’2.25” and 39" vertical highlight some of his defensive potential.

I'd consider him at 17, as I know another team drafting after us is looking at him hard, but would absolutely take him at 26 if there is someone we have higher available with that first pick. He just turned 21 in Apr and has 3 years of college ball experience.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If they don’t trade up pick 26 will be in RGV all year. Eason would definitely be in the rotation from day 1. My dream would be to move up for Daniels. KPJ, Green, Daniels, Banchero, Sengun core is set for years.

17. sydmill

sydmill Member

I have posted repeatedly that I think the Rockets are flush with guard (KPJ/JG/JC/Nix) and center (Sengun/Garuba) prospects. If Banchero is the guy then I look to add 2 mobile, 3&D wings. I'm hoping for Eason and Beauchamp. I like Martin and expect him to get a real opportunity this season coming but those guys are my targets at 17 and 26. I think Tate's days as a Rocket are numbered. Deadline deal candidate.

#37 sydmill, Jun 19, 2022
  18. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

19. sydmill

sydmill Member

KPJ/Nix
    Green/JC
    Martin/Eason/Beauchamp
    Banchero/Eason/Martin
    Sengun/Garuba

Fill in with some vets for depth/experience but that is the roster I'd take into the season. I could write all day about the offensive firepower and defense flexibility if this team. Then you start focusing on fit around green and Banchero. Trim the fat and fill the holes next off-season and that's the team moving forward.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just came in to say this. In 2023 Wiggins or Middleton if he opts out should be the target with our cap space.