1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giving up my fandom - it's been fun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 1, 2023.

1. cazyapma

cazyapma Member

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Beat it, fool.

burlesk likes this.
  3. VoR

VoR Member

Bro, he barely tapped LBJ's nuts on a blanket defense. I love the kid.

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

A little melodramatic?

This team will only go as far, as our rookies take us - either on our team or as part of a trade for a star. The Rockets are not a team, that will be built in FA. In FA we can only add supporting pieces. Now our big money FA addition only got 2 guaranteed years. And our secondary addition seems to be a player our coach really likes, that just got selected to all nba defensive 2nd team for holding opponents to a 3% worse shooting percentage which was best among all wing players - and the 6th best defensive rating for players with at least 30 minutes a game.

I don‘T love our offseason and am cautious about our off season. But right now it is about seeing, if we have a star on the team and changing the culture of the team, so that the star actually can blossom.

burlesk and ramotadab like this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Unfortunately have no deleting thread privileges and there's no mods active it seems, which makes sense given the hectic FA period, but this was all quite in in the moment, emotion. I just think I need a healthy distance from being emotionally invested in things like this. I know I will be mocked forever on here and seemingly triggered people since every post now needs to be answered with why you still here etc. I'll take it, it's fine, it's just a forum and has never felt like a supportive community (sadly to say).

So keep up the jokes. This thread is definitely drama queen like and I would've had the same reaction as y'all, so as long as we can keep it in good spirits in mocking me for it, it's cool. I do wish can show some understanding and humanity going forward. If it makes you feel better that you're actually a "bigger", "better", "actual", "die hard", and this makes me a "casual", "fake" fan and somehow a terrible person in your eyes, so be it. There's no love lost.

In the end we're all fans here so while I'm still very negative about Brooks - the deal itself might turn out to be very solid - and our asset management of the young guys, I'm still here to go through the ride. IF you feel bothered by my presence, just put me on ignore, would save everyone a lot of negative energy that is wasteful. I have shown that with this thread plenty so take it as you want, do with this information as you will. And if there are mods around, probably best to close this thread.

jch1911 likes this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Big/popular names don't equal championship.

burlesk likes this.
  7. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. We have the worst owner in the league but I'm gonna rep h-town till I die.

8. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Once a Rocket, always a Rocket.

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Imagine if we got something back for our 3 first we gave up plus KJ.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Damn OP, would be sad to lose you. One of the better posters on here.

Have to say I have my doubts about some of the moves too. FVV was needed but expensive - made myself ok with it just because I'm a big believer that intangible benefits are as fruitful as tangible ones. Brooks is overpaid and risky for 4 years. I didn't like dumping Tyty and Garuba at their lowest value just to get Longdale. Garuba dug his own grave showing up fat last season, but Tyty I cannot understand why we let go without EVER giving a chance to and Kentucky guards tend to surprise people. I feel like it was stupid to draft those two instead of getting future value out of those picks and signing a couple more G League players during the tank. To some extent I feel like Stone and Udoka are overspending to secure their own jobs in the short term.

However, there are some big benefits. The culture will no doubt be shifted now and the remaining young players are going to understand this front office is not f*cking around. They understand how short the leash is. Garuba, Tyty and Christopher are effectively the Ned Starks of this story - had to be executed to set the tone and create space for a couple more culture-changing vets. We've put faith in Sengun which is great - there were rumors that the organization doesn't think highly of him and so far that's been thoroughly debunked. We have excellent playmaking all round. This is a professional team where if someone jokes around in practice it will stand out like a sore thumb.

I believe it's really amateurish to sit and combine the last season of everyone's 3pt shooting and assume that that's what's going to unfold next season. That's a perspective that's blind to context. There was a systemic 3pt shooting problem that forced nearly the entire roster to shoot below expectations. That system is gone, and these guys are all better shooters than they showed. We can still use a little more shooting, but that can be had cheap. Even Brooks shot poorly recently but he's had better shooting seasons when his shot selection was under control. I doubt Ime would bring him on board without having that conversation with him.

The staff really believes in the young guys and as you guys know I REALLY REALLY believe in the young core. It's good to know Ime agrees. That tells me Sengun, Green and Jabari are indeed better than most of you think and what their advanced stats showed during tanking seasons. I think Sengun and FVV will run an excellent motion offense. I think Green is going to have the clearest path to the basket he's ever had, he's going to be stronger and the PG is going to give him the ball exactly the way he wants it and when he wants it. I think Jabari has already proven that if decent plays are being run he's deadly and Ime is a guy who wants to run the type of plays that Jabari loves.

Ime is an underdog and he's probably never felt like more of an underdog than after the Celtics debacle. He seems to have approved a bunch of redemption stories which is unfortunate. I would prefer if he collected players who have his best qualities rather than his saddest qualities, but that's human nature. As long as he's accountable for it, I'm willing to see what he can do with it.

I'm going to give this a few days and see what we hear and how this all sinks in. Wasn't expected them to dump 2 of my favorite Rockets (Tyty and Garuba). Was hoping they wouldn't sign one of my least favorite NBA players (Brooks). Lost out on Lopez. Definitely need time for the smoke to clear and see what we have. Try to see the situation from an unbiased perspective rather than based on what I wanted.

burlesk, Heartdoc, Hemingway and 3 others like this.
  12. csc177

csc177 Member

Bye! Good ridden and don’t log onto clutchfans ever again to check in on this attention grabbing post.

13. csc177

csc177 Member

Precisely

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

So wait, op is now staying? I am so confused.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude, spend the five dollars to get a one-month contributing membership, and go back and edit your thread title to something like "I CHANGED MY DAMN MIND AND AM NOW STAYING"

. . . or something to that effect. Welcome back.

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 7.38.40 AM.png

16. maj21

maj21 Member

We kept our best young prospects and added some vets to help them grow. I’m confused :(

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

OP went Wolfy on us! Hell yeah! Don’t leave - stick around to b****, complain and necro bump old posts of you being right!!! ClutchFans style!! Next year will be the petty apocalypse and you don’t want to miss that!

[​IMG]

burlesk and Mathloom like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Very good post. We should all relax until we are sure all the bullets have been fired and the smoke clears up a bit. When FVV’s signing went to 2 guaranteed years it changed my thinking a lot. I didn’t want Lopez, because he would want to start, and, I think that would blunt Sengun’s progression. I’ve warned to DB a bit, because of his defensive stats and I think this horrible reputation just came because of all the Lebron nut huggers. He has shot a decent 34.8 from 3 for his career, so I think the whole narrative about the can’t shoot aspect has been over dramatized. 20m was probably too much for him, but is no way a serious hamstringing of our flexibility. If he becomes and uncontrollable chucker, Ime will just bench him.

I, also, don’t think we are done yet. I expect at least one more vet signing at the wing spot or maybe Capella or another backup center. Who knows how many games they are going to win, but 35-40 is not out of the question if the youngsters, especially Green and Jabari, progress at all. If they progress a lot, they could challenge for play-off spot with the defensive mindset of this coach. Being optimistic in life is always better than being pessimistic (and no BTG, realism and pessimism are not the same thing).

burlesk and Mathloom like this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sorry did I understand correctly that FVV contract is only guaranteed two years??