1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

give yao the damn ball man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iku, Nov 14, 2008.

1. boby

boby Member

he is still the same Yao as under JVG system. I wonder how JVG handled that problem.
    Seriously, Yao obviously doesn't fit the current Rockets system. Same with Tmac. Please rebuild this team around Brooks and trade these two pink walking p*****s for 10 Brooks to fits RA's system better.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If players don't perform, it doesn't matter what system you employ. Phil Jackson won 9 titles with the triangle, but with shaq, he was a 7th seed 2 yrs in a row. They trade for gasol and bynum comes back and the triangle looks great again. Biendrens from gsw has 17 straight double-doubles. He's avg 16-14 and almost 2 blks. Now if yao could do 16-12-2, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He's being cancelled out and that can happen. When your team has 40 misses, you should have more than 8 rebs. The same number that 6ft guard got.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Can't blame Yao for that, thats how the offense is designed, draw the double and someone should be open unfortunately our shooters are only shooting in the 30% range. However, Yao has been a disappointment as well, guy that is supposed to be as dominant as him should be shooting well over 50% not 47%. I think he has also hit a ceiling and may be on the decline, we may have seen the best of Yao and that won't get us to the NBA finals.

4. mich

mich Member

I like your thinking...

5. leebigez

With all due respect, there isn't a coach on the planet who describes a offense to wait on the double. The design is to deliver into the post and yao is supposed to make something happen. When he waits and overthinks, the offense is dead because the shot clock is winding down. Yao gets the ball, make a quick decision to either shoot or pass which 80% of the time he maes the wrong decsion.When you're 7'6 and you get a foot in the paint, there shouldn't be a kickout out to 23 ft!. Yao gets a goot in the paint, the double comes, he kicks out and now the team is against the shot clock. Yao should never kick the ball out when he's 8ft away unless he spots a wide open cutter to the basket. Double or not, 8ft from the basket for a 7'6 man is better than a 23'9 shot from a 30% shooter any day.

6. MandM's

MandM's Member

let me get this straight...

you want to rebuild the team around a 5'10 guy who can't throw an overhead pass to his center.

Ok...that's going to work.

Brooks will be sitting once Alston gets back...and in two years we will see the last of him

7. ibm

ibm Member

so, when a center (like yao) has a guard (like finley) on him, the correct play is for the guard to shoot the ball rather than passing it to him? your knowledge of basketball is really unsurpassed. :rolleyes:

8. ibm

ibm Member

there are times when yao overthinks or hesitates unnecessarily. but your theory about how a center should play when he's doubled is obviously false, or at least is the opposite to what many nba coaches have advocated. if you're saying a center should always attack and split the double even if you can find an open teammate, i think you're wrong.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's not really a bad shot when you have a clear offensive rebounding advantage. Yao may actually be more likely to score by offensive rebounding the miss and laying it up rather than on a post up against such a player. Yao isn't great at taking advantage of much smaller defenders in the post; I've seen him blow that many, many times. But he should have a clear advantage on the putback attempt.

And if I'm not mistaken, the Rockets got the ball back on that play after Tracy missed.

10. ibm

ibm Member

i wasn't talking about just that specific case, but rather bball in general. in my mind, if your 7' center has a 6'3 guard at his back IN THE PAINT, you have to throw the ball to him, no matter what.

o-reb advantage? what about a long rebound? which is more likely to occur when you shoot from outside in that case?

yao did have 2 putbacks last night. but in that particular case, if, in your words, "Yao isn't great at taking advantage of much smaller defenders in the post", what do we hire him for? keep in mind, almost every of his defenders qualifies as "much smaller".

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's a good option, just not a guaranteed two points like it could be for some other great post players. But taking a shot with a decisive offensive rebounding advantage is also a good option. Without Yao on the court for that play, neither of those advantages are available. That's what we hired him for, in part.

Yao would have better position for the long rebound or short rebound in this case. He's on the outside, but he's so much taller than the guy defending him he'd have a good chance of getting the board either way it bounces.

12. ibm

ibm Member

weak argument durvasa. and i've always respected your opinion.

if i read you correctly, with yao we have 2 advantages - #1 posting up a smaller defender and #2 o-reb when our guard jacks up a shot, eh?

(and you just said in your prior post that yao isn't real good at posting up his "much smaller" defenders.)

so my question is - which advantage is bigger? #1 or #2?

13. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Well Duncan has 5 he most be garbage then.

The game was ultra slow with little possession. No team reach 40 boards and Houston out rebound SA.

14. leebigez

IBM, I'm glad u chimed in. This is the thinking and I respect your insight. Coaches play inside out which is normal. With a guy like Yao, coaches have found to play to his weakness, decision making. Now I'm not saying Yao is a dumb player, but his decision making is slow and wrong most times. He can't make multiple quick decsions and translate that to action on the court. Its like having a car with 500hp, but only go 120mph when Lotus can have a 4 banger that can do 180mph. Baksteball like most sport require quick decisions and instincts. Yao lacks in this department.

Back to the coaches. They see that unless Yao has a wide open,clear shot at the basket, he's passing the ball out. Well from watching great pivots throughout the nba, that doesn't happen a lot. If your so blessed to watch Dream,Kareem, Moses, McHale or even Duncan, you will see players feel the double and reverse pivot. If the double comes baseline,step thru. If it comes high side, turn baseline, but either way, you don't kick out 8ft from the hoop. Coaches have used this against Yao and that's why I say the yao is turning into a catch and shoot big man like big z with a occasional post up. He needs to get his baseline jumper to keep his career steady. If not, we're going to see a steep decline.

15. Tmacfan0115

Tmacfan0115 Member

I think Aaron Brooks is a racist, He never passed Yao or Scola the ball, in the 3rd I remember Yao had so many good positions to score and he just didn't set him up

Cut Brooks....

16. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

So you're saying that the Rockets build up a 14-point lead on teams just to prove that they can - and then they lose interest? Like, 'we know we can kick your ass all the time if we really want', but we'll get around to that for four quarters/game come April-May?...

I sure hope you're right.

17. Birdrocket

Birdrocket Member

why nobody realized both yao and tmac are off peaks. this year would be the last year they mingle with each other.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

does yao want the ball?

dude shows the same emotions when he gets or doesn't get the ball. he just goes with the flow.

19. ibm

ibm Member

yao right now certainly is not at the level of the all-time great centers. absolutely not. we've seen flashes in the past. i certainly hope that he one day can achieve that.

yao's biggest weakness right now is hesitation in making a decision in traffic. (other aspects like physicality is hard to change.) i think a large part of that is adelman trying to implement a new offense. he and everyone else easily gets confused out there. over the course of the season this will hopefully change for the better.

in any case, yao's biggest asset is in the low post. i firmly believe what jvg said - if you put yao in any area other than the low post, what you've got is an average center. reality is adelman has some other thoughts on this one. we shall see.

20. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Yes sir. Yao, under JVG, was the most dominant big man in the game. 25pts on 56% percentage shooting. It's the one thing the JVG detractors can ever take away from him.

This same sort of scenario with Yao Ming happened last year under Adelman and it was due to Adelmans coaching philosophy of putting Yao Ming in the hight post 40 to 50% of the time. It did not work last year to start the season and it is not working this year. When Adelman wises up and starts to call set plays that get Yao Ming the ball in the low post 100% of the time is when the Rockets find their identity again. Yao Ming should never get the ball in the high post by design. Why we would try to turn the most dominant low post scoring big man in the league into Vlade Divac is something I will never understand.