1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give up on Harden winning the MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EightDoobies, Apr 9, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Houstunna likes this.
  2. varughese.arun

Dang, what if GSW Looses to wariors.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It would be mind boggling indeed.

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

In what way? I honestly can't think of one single thing Giannis or Milwaukee did that was historic. Can anyone else?

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

slothy420 and BigDog63 like this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

but silver and the refs can :confused:

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That's funny, treyk3! Shows just how little stats and historical things seem to matter here.

It would be interesting to ask those who are voting for Giannis just what Harden would have had to have done to get their vote. Because I think the answer would likely be 'there is nothing he could have done'

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Isn’t the obvious answer to that question a number 1 seed? That, coupled with the high scoring, likely would have made him the favorite.

Handles, KePoW and harold bingo like this.
  9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Would it? He mostly did that before, and didn't win.

I personally think the answer I provided is more accurate. They bought the hype, and were going to make Giannis the MVP, pretty much regardless of what Harden did. Because what he's doing is historic, the Rockets are the leading contender to defeat the Warriors and therefore likely be in the Finals, and he still is losing to Giannis by a large margin. Given that...what difference would it really have made what he did.

Put another way....how did Harden prevent the Rockets from getting the number 1 seed? That's a team thing...1 person can only do so much. The Bucks wouldn't be the number 1 seed either if it weren't for how well everyone besides Giannis is playing.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes, it would. He did it once before (last year) and he won. If you are referring to 2017, the Rockets were a 3 seed. 55 wins is on the low end for MVP winners, historically. If the Rockets won 60 games that year, Harden would have won. No question about it.

Team success is a factor, whether you like it or not. I think it’s pretty obvious that Harden wins MVP this year if the Rockets win 60, or put another way he wins it if the Bucks win only 53.

malakas, s3ts and harold bingo like this.
  11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I've said this many times before, but you have to have actual evidence that your style of play resulted in winning at an elite level. The only real evidence that can be provided is the number of wins and losses relative to other teams.

If you start getting into, "well, he would have won more if other guys didn't have injures." Or, "he would have won more if he had more help." Then, even if you are probably right, ultimately you are really offering nothing but conjecture. This leads to armchair NBA analysts pontificating to try and justify Lebron winning MVP last year despite having a very mediocre record in a very bad conference. Basically, Lebron's whole case was, "well the Cavs are still in the playoffs, despite his teammates sucking." How much lower can the bar be set?

Really, the only case for entry into the MVP discussion should be that the player was the main contributor on a team that was winning at an elite level. From there, it's really just a weighted decision and balancing act based on the amount of team success and the player's stats/production. I'd say a third factor is whether the player has another MVP candidate on their own team (or at least a teammate who has similar production), which never helps.

"Winning at an elite level" is hard to define, but you know it when you see it. Typically, there's probably only a maximum of 5 teams that even fit the bill in a season. I think the Rockets were probably on the borderline this year due to those bad losses against bad teams. And ultimately that is what will cost him the MVP. And even though it's completely arbitrary with how close in record everyone was, getting that #2 seed probably would have helped Harden's case for the more simple-mind folks of the MVP electorate.

durvasa likes this.
  12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

We should never use Westbrook's MVP as historical evidence for an MVP case. It was a travesty that should never be repeated.

We can disagree on this, but I can say with absolute certainty that Harden would have been damn near unanimous if the Rockets finished #1 in the west. I agree that it would have been done grudgingly by some voters, but no one would risk the embarrassment of voting for someone else unless they were simply trolling due to their dislike of the guy.

He definitely has major resistance he has to overcome from voters. I believe if Westbrook and Harden's records and stats had been switched a few years ago, Westbrook still would have won the MVP. Anyway, I think this year the team's success was just too borderline to overcome the MVP voter's general resistance to Harden. I would still give it to him in my biased state, but I'm not going to get very upset about it if he loses. This wouldn't even be in the same stratosphere as the loss to Westbrook.

13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I think it's pretty obvious why the NBA wants Giannis as the MVP and has pushed this narrative all season. LeBron is clearly at the tail end of his career and they need a new player to take over that role as best player, most exciting, etc. and Giannis is clearly the best choice (Anthony Davis could have been it but can't stay healthy, doesn't win and now the whole trade debacle killed that). Giannis is still really young and they can market him for the next 10+ years.

On the other hand, Harden is nearing 30, and for whatever reason, fans and the media do not like his game. Why would the NBA try to sell Harden at this point?

14. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I think the only time Harden will think about the MVP again is if we make it to the Finals against the Bucks.

I'm rooting for the 76ers to make it to the ECF to play the Bucks. Despite Embiid punking Harden this season, the matchup is going to be amazing. Hoping for something to get exposed, whether it's Giannis' game or the media's bias.

BigShasta likes this.
  15. s3ts

s3ts Member

This is why I was frustrated the Rockets role players didn't step up this season. Harden had this MVP locked up if only his teammates would've shown up. They only really showed up after the ASG.

I'm also frustrated at the Rockets org for failing so hard at the beginning of the season. Failed experiments cost Harden a freaking MVP.

16. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

when else did the Rockets get a #1 seed and best record in the league?

also, are you trying to imply the Bucks have greater individual talent than Rockets? I would not agree, we have CP3 and Capela

17. HROZ

HROZ Member

I've made peace with Giannis getting MVP.

Though weirdly still haven't made peace with Westbrook getting MVP.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good if Harden feels snubbed. Might unleash the Hakeem in him.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Me too...I just think the voters aren't paying attention to the right things.

But that's not unusual.

20. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

317 of Harden's 378 made 3s were unassisted. So 83.9% of his 3s were unassisted (87% of his FG overall). 210 of those were stepback 3s. He shot 38.9% on stepback 3s for the season. For Giannis 58.4% of his dunks were assisted by teammates.

#120 cbs1507, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Houstunna and BamBam like this.